Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What is the common name for Nightborne?

Are we just going to call them Nightborne? It's just odd to me we can't call them elf like we've always done night elf, high elf and blood elf.

If we were to call them elf, I just don't see an obvious choice. Shaldorei means children of the night, but obviously night elf is already taken by the kaldorei, children of the stars.

Only thing my limited imagination can come up with is dark elf, but doesn't seem fitting.

You guys have any suggestions or ideas? Or shall we just stick with Nightborne as the informal name?

Side note: Reason I made a post on such an unimportant topic, I was thinking about in-game interaction. I hope NPC's will call Lightforged Draenei and Highmountain Tauren just Draenei and Tauren, as the whole thing is quite a mouthful in casual conversation, and that got me thinking about above topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Its Yetanothergoddamn'dorei.

Deleted
    Nightborne are basically Nightelves. There is not much difference, or say, 10k years ago Nightborn called themselves Kaldorei.

So what is actually the purpose of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Talime View Post
    Nightborne are basically Nightelves. There is not much difference, or say, 10k years ago Nightborn called themselves Kaldorei.

So what is actually the purpose of this thread?
    they have undergone a clear physical evolution, just like thalassian elves. they're not night elves anymore.

idk though. we got velf, helf, belf, and nelf. maybe shelf?

Deleted
    Nola'dorei is the official name, it's actually mentioned in quest texts a couple of times.

Nightborne elf is the common name. Shal’dorei the elven name. Nightborne like in Night Elf Highborne

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I tend to use the more common names (e.g. Nightborne, Night Elves, Blood Elves, etc.) unless I'm talking about their internal cultures, politics, or what have you. Kind of an internal/external divide - when I'm talking about the Warcraft universe at large I use their common name, but if we're delving into the culture or history specifically I'll swap to using the formal declarations like Shal'dorei, Kaldorei, Sin'dorei, or Ren'dorei.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Nightborne elf/Shal'dorei

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    Nightborne elf is the common name. Shal’dorei the elven name. Nightborne like in Night Elf Highborne
    As far as we're aware, there are three different types of denomination. Theoretically, a designated group could use any combination of these:

• Their is a native demonym (i.e. what they're called in their language). This includes names like Kaldorei, Quel'dorei, Sin'dorei, etc.
    • Their is a transliteration of the native demonym, used formally (i.e. Highborne, Nightborne, etc.).
    • Their is a transliteration of the native demonym, used informally (i.e. Night Elf, Blood Elf, etc.)

I think what's confusing the OP is that all of the other denominations utilize an informal demonym (i.e. Night Elf, Blood Elf, Void Elf, High Elf, etc.), while Blizzard has elected to forego this convention and limit the denizens of Suramar to more formal designations.

At a glance, I could see why this seems peculiar to players. It does make sense, though, within the existing naming structures and especially when we consider the group in question (the culture of the Nightborne would certainly qualify as "high culture", that their self-designation would reflect this isn't really surprising). Furthermore, I'd posit that many of the potential colloquialisms are inherently problematic:

• As we're talking about the Shal'dorei ("Children of the Night"), otherwise known by their formal demonym Nightborne, it would seem like the choice for an informal demonym is clear -- we should be calling them Night Elves, but we can't. The amount of work that would be required to officially re-designate the existing Night Elves, as something more fundamentally related to their self-designation like "Star Elf", would be enormous and probably to little or no benefit.
    • They could always go with "Dark Elf", but it doesn't really fit at all at a thematic or conceptual level.

It's likely that the Nightborne, if they had to be given an informal callsign, would likely also refer to themselves as Night Elves. Which is probably why Blizzard has opted not to utilize that type of name for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we have to give them a name that matches the other Elves, it's Dark Elf.

They are Dark Elves. Allied with Orcs, magical, blue and black skin. Fits the trope really.

Little surprised they weren't called Dark Elves to begin with...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    Nola'dorei is the official name, it's actually mentioned in quest texts a couple of times.
    Hmm interesting indeed I always thought they are called the Shal'dorei.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Hmm interesting indeed I always thought they are called the Shal'dorei.
    He's pulling your leg.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post

They are Dark Elves. Allied with Orcs, magical, blue and black skin. Fits the trope really.

Hm, you know... That's actually a pretty good call to be honest. Hadn't thought of that. Suddenly I like 'em all the more.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    The common name is OhNoNotAnotherLousyElf...

Funny, because Void Elves will go under exactly the same name..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Drows or drow elves.

I prefer Dark elves myself though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post

There is no similarities with Dark Elves, in any fantasy universe I have explored..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Hm, you know... That's actually a pretty good call to be honest. Hadn't thought of that. Suddenly I like 'em all the more.
    Tell me about it !! the name Dark elf reminded me of my first character in EverQuest a shadow knight dark elf! ahhh the nostalgia.

Nightborne, or Shal'dorei. Crack elf if you want to feel funny.

Perhaps they're called NBE's

7+ Year Old Account
    I think Nightborne is the common name for them.

They refer to themselves as the shal'dorei, much like the night elves and blood elves refer to themselves as the kaldorei and sin'dorei. That is their name for them in their language.

I forget what language the Nightborne speak, but their name for themselves is shal'dorei with them commonly being referred to as Nightborne.