Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xecks View Post
    wrong video. it was about people getting arrested for trolling people "causing distress" i believe it was that people can get arrested and charged with. im not gonna look it up.
    Ahhh you mean this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37601431

Maybe you and Sargon should read that article. It's a law that brings parity between online and offline behaviour. It is no where near as simple as "being arrested for trolling".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    Social consequences are one of the big checks in society, and, to be honest, I'm glad there seems to be a reasserting of the necessity of those consequences within, at least, US society. The fact of the matter is that treating others like shit should isolate you until you're an agreeable person to be around.

I kind of wonder how many people are having to find this out the hard way, though.
    Sadly, there are some people who have amassed such power and wealth that they can get away with it. A certain president comes to mind. Though maybe even he will get what's coming for him.

Maybe they see such examples as a role model they aspire to. Nevertheless this is an absolute minority of people on this world that can behave this way and get away with it. I really doubt some internet edgelord could do the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Ahhh you mean this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37601431

Maybe you and Sargon should read that article. It's a law that brings parity between online and offline behaviour. It is no where near as simple as "being arrested for trolling".
    Which is exactly the problem i have with this specific youtuber - he takes stuff out of context to drive his story.

I actually agree with @Xecks and @Maneo - i don't think offending people should be illegal. But i can find no source for it being this way. All i can find and get linked is people getting fined by hate and harrasment laws, and that's just not being the same as offending someone. Maybe you get offended by hatespeech or harrasment, but the punishment is only given for the hate/harrasment part. This distinction may not be necessary on reddit, but it is if you're talking about laws, which we are doing.

Nah... lets see and wait. If someone really finds a case of a person purely convicted for offending someone (without breaching other laws at the same time) i'm fully prepared to say that's stupid and should be changed. So go ahead, give me your best!

i cant find the video. nevermind. if i cant cite it it shouldnt be brought up as a point.

offensive speech is just fine. harrassing someone over and over is bad. hate speech that includes threats or inciting violence is bad too.

calling someone a racist name is alot different than threatening them with violence or getting others to join in and do violence.

i have alot of issues with pc culture , however, i will say the meaning behind some of it is love and compassion for your fellow man.
    its when the "anti racists" are more racist then the "racist" people they claim to be going against that is becomes untennable.

"Political correctness" is, was and always has been a term of disparagement. You know, satire. For some bizarre reason, in the last few decades some people have started using it straight.

The underlying phenomenon is simply cultural taboo reinforcement. It's universal to all human cultures, it's how society self-regulates. We actually live in a period where society's enforcement of its mores on the things you can say is unusually lax... try saying something "politically incorrect" back during the witch hunts or Spanish Inquisition. Really, if you said anything outside the bounds of polite conversation (which were much more narrow) prior to the 1900s, you might be taking your life into your own hands.

But of course, what people REALLY mean when they say they hate political correctness is that they don't like who is in charge of what things you can and can't say, and that they wish their mores would be imposed on society rather than someone else's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    That would be against British culture.

The british have always had a culture in which common decency was highly regarded in public.
    SCARY AREN'T THEY?!?!?!??!

Deleted
    PC is really just persecution for wrongthink. You think there is such a thing as biological sex? Nazi transphobe!

Political correctness is correcting your speech to censor for a sensitive audience. Political correctness is the art of the silver tongue, and in modern times it has merely become passé to have a tongue worth any less than silver.

Quote Originally Posted by turboether View Post
    Political correctness is correcting your speech to censor for a sensitive audience. Political correctness is the art of the silver tongue, and in modern times it has merely become passé to have a tongue worth any less than silver.
    Ahhh yes because people shouldn't react to influential people who act outrageous and childish and support that behavior got it. When you insult other people and they get angry they're just Sensitive Gotcha.

Have fun walking down the street and in the Bar or other places and insulting everyone around you and see what'll happen.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2018-01-15 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvei View Post
    I don't even know what the definition of PC is anymore. It feels like its used to describe anything that some random alt-righter disagrees with.
    That is because alt-righters are usually shit people. PC isn't really difficult to understand. People trying to legitimate racism and hate by giving it a fancy name doesn't really change that they're incompatible with being a decent human being.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Ahhh yes because people shouldn't react to influential people who act outrageous and childish and support that behavior got it. When you insult other people and they get angry they're just Sensitive Gotcha.

Have fun walking down the street and in the Bar or other places and insulting everyone around you and see what'll happen.
    Walking down the street insulting people has nothing to do with political correctness. It's just rude. Of course you should speak out against things you don't like. That should be everyone's right. It doesn't change what political correctness is, and it certainly doesn't change what political correctness has come to be used for, which isn't always common decency as much as people like to conflate them as one in the same. Ultimately, political correctness is a subjective good, and it becomes just as harmful at extremes as anything else if you take it as a gospel, infallible good.

Quote Originally Posted by halloaa View Post
    PC is really just persecution for wrongthink. You think there is such a thing as biological sex? Nazi transphobe!
    You can have differing opinions without resorting to language that conflicts with PC. Mind you, I'm not a PC person myself, thinking people can be adults and not have a nervous breakdown when someone cusses. But recently I've had to adopt the PC stance, since the trash heap of humanity hides behind some idiot "PC is censorship" agenda to justify spitting out the vilest filth that modern Western society has produced in the past 10-20 years. And if you tell them off for it, they pull out the "anti-PC" club and try to delegitimize your position.

So, no. PC is not the persecution for wrongthink. What you're doing right now is trying to silence dissent, which really is exactly the thing you're accusing the other side of.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    You can have differing opinions without resorting to language that conflicts with PC. Mind you, I'm not a PC person myself, thinking people can be adults and not have a nervous breakdown when someone cusses. But recently I've had to adopt the PC stance, since the trash heap of humanity hides behind some idiot "PC is censorship" agenda to justify spitting out the vilest filth that modern Western society has produced in the past 10-20 years. And if you tell them off for it, they pull out the "anti-PC" club and try to delegitimize your position.

So, no. PC is not the persecution for wrongthink. What you're doing right now is trying to silence dissent, which really is exactly the thing you're accusing the other side of.
    How am i trying to silence anyone? People are allowed to say whatever stupid shit they want, but just dont force me to agree with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    PC for normal people = doing basic human decency

PC for Alt righter = anything not following their extremist views and need to be mocked.
    The funny thing about the alt right?

How triggered they get when they get criticized, as if disagreeing with them is politically incorrect.

These people would be hilarious if their cult leader wasn't the President.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    So legislators and judges are in charge of what the people can say? It is pretty easy to admit Marxism sometimes.
    1. That's not Marxism.
    2. You don't like what legislators do? Vote them out or run against them, which again, is democracy, not Marxism.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by halloaa View Post
    If you believe that sex is purely biological, then implicitly you are denying trans people the right to express their gender identity in the way that they choose. Wouldn't that make you the PC thug?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    If you believe that sex is purely biological, then implicitly you are denying trans people the right to express their gender identity in the way that they choose. Wouldn't that make you the PC thug?
    So you're saying trans people choose to be that way? I think most of them would say they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

1. That's not Marxism.
    2. You don't like what legislators do? Vote them out or run against them, which again, is democracy, not Marxism.
    Karl Marx believed in the equality of all individuals and this equality would be regulated by the government. That's pretty much exactly Marxism.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karrotlord View Post
    So you're saying trans people choose to be that way? I think most of them would say they don't.
    I doubt that's what he's saying. Social dysphoria is an actual thing (as is physical), and just because you're pushed towards one gender pole or another doesn't mean that embracing that sort of expression doesn't come with choices. I thoroughly enjoyed going out with a good, female friend yesterday and having lunch and getting our nails done, but it was still a choice.

Point in fact, this exact topic has been a been a huge issue for the community given that twenty years ago only those who expressed hyper femininity / masculinity were allowed to transition. There's a shallow rift right now where we have older people who sometimes criticize younger folks because they're not diving into those expectations. One of the jokes is that the young trans feminine uniform is jeans and a hoodie now. We call those older women "huns" given they like to use that word when criticizing young trans women.

But, doesn't matter what you wear. Just because you don't meet certain non-clinical standards doesn't negate that physical and social dysphoria are real.
    Last edited by GreenGoldSharpie; 2018-01-15 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Again notice I said "Damn Near" ... or you just so inclined to argue?

Anyhow one quick internet search, although it is a opinion piece. It does enforce what Xecks said
    And for the first time it seems like you, and others, have the same poorly informed biased opinion and when you get called out for how wrong you are for being offended by this perceived attack on your speech you try and avoid acknowledging you were wrong by thinking some stupid qualification like "damn near" makes you any less wrong.

It's not damn near. Nor is it actually true. And the gentlemen quoting you is very accurately describing what actually happens and you're getting mad because it contradicts the story some equally uninformed bloggers/writers have spun for you. Long story short

Problem I have is PC, which again was basic human decency at its core, has become mostly just assholes mad at other people for calling out the fact that they said something assholish they used to happily get away with. In their mind though there's an army of people that get offended about literally anything and they can't see the difference. For every 1 Hyper sensitive hippie offended by all there actually is they see a million in their mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    So legislators and judges are in charge of what the people can say? It is pretty easy to admit Marxism sometimes.
    Not Marxism. Idiots like you have turned that into an empty word even you tools can't agree upon what it means. That's called government through consent of the governed. It doesn't mean government follows your and only your views 100% exactly.

Marxism is about the means of production and wealth distribution. He had almost fuck all to say about speech outside of those in power would attempt to shut down those who were not. While he also felt that the collapse of capitalism was inevitable as was the birth of capitalism from feudalism he also wrote about situations where capitalism could continue in perpetuity. But hell you just keep doing you rather than educate yourself. Let your overlords wave a picture of your boogeyman to get you to toe the line.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2018-01-15 at 02:56 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    I doubt that's what he's saying. Social dysphoria is an actual thing (as is physical), and just because you're pushed towards one gender pole or another doesn't mean that embracing that sort of expression doesn't come with choices. I thoroughly enjoyed going out with a good, female friend yesterday and having lunch and getting our nails done, but it was still a choice.

Point in fact, this exact topic has been a been a huge issue for the community given that twenty years ago only those who expressed hyper femininity / masculinity were allowed to transition. There's a shallow rift right now where we have older people who sometimes criticize younger folks because they're not diving into those expectations. One of the jokes is that the young trans feminine uniform is jeans and a hoodie now. We call those older women "huns" given they like to use that word when criticizing young trans women.

But, doesn't matter what you wear. Just because you don't meet certain non-clinical standards doesn't negate that physical and social dysphoria are real.
    I wasn't referring to the amount of expression but whether or not someone chooses to be trans or it's an innate part of them. Where that push or pull for any expression at all comes from.

I've been wondering about that for awhile now. Mainly in the is gender biological or a social construct terms. That's what the other posters were referring to. To me at least, calling gender a construct takes away from the validity of trans people. Not saying anyone can't decide their own level expression, but every trans person I've personally met has said it's much deeper and more involved than just "deciding." As for social dysphoria, I've never heard of that before and have no idea what it is. But anyway, this is a bit off topic and I probably shouldn't have jumped in.

Deleted
    If i feel like insulting someone i should have every right to do so thats a freedom wich must not be taken away, however asshole and dickish you might find this is the only way to make sure we dont go into a spiral of censoring and banning everything that might be even slightly offending.

I mean for fucks sake grow a thicker skin.