Thread: New California

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    This is a bit different than Jefferson. IIRC, they were a bit more...rebellious than New California. But I do agree that if Texas moved to split in a similar way, I would support it. There should be no clear Red and Blue states. If there are, then someone isn't getting a vote.
    I'm fine with Red & Blue states, if we were to implement a better voting system then First Pass the Post.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    I'm confused on how they chose to divide it up. Why isn't San Diego included with the other big cities and coastal areas?
    Because they need an urban center to leech off of for funding.

Novel idea; rather than splitting up California, how about we revoke statehood for any state with a population of under 1 million people and make them territories again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    So, you're admitting it's better though? Why not support it then? It makes their votes matter.
    I'm saying it isn't better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ne...cid=spartandhp

TL;DR, Rural California wants to form their own State, due to the difficulty in governing such a large and diverse state. They seek to do this along official lines, citing Article 4, Section 3 of the United States Constitution.

What do you think? Personally, I'm all for it. The article mentions that West Virginia had a similar situation, which isn't incorrect. The more rugged and mountainous section of Virginia that became West Virginia was certainly a different economic and cultural location compared to its counterpart, it made sense to govern them separately. California is much like this.
    But...
    New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

I'm not sure how that helps their case. Not familiar with how West Virginia used this to become a state... but it appears to be written in plain English that they CANNOT do this.

10+ Year Old Account
    As an Orange County resident, I approve of this plan.

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    But...
    New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

I'm not sure how that helps their case. Not familiar with how West Virginia used this to become a state... but it appears to be written in plain English that they CANNOT do this.
    Because Virginia was not a US state at the time is how I think it worked so WV got added under the New State clause.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Because they need an urban center to leech off of for funding.

Novel idea; rather than splitting up California, how about we revoke statehood for any state with a population of under 1 million people and make them territories again.
    Actually it's because San Diego is a Naval port city and largely Republican, this is just gerrymandering at the state level.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    I'm fine with Red & Blue states, if we were to implement a better voting system then First Pass the Post.
    Any system that isn't FPTP pretty much will destroy Red and blue states since it will allow more people to have their votes matter plus it will stop the stangle hold of just having D and R. It's FPTP that forces red and blue

They should just name it New Mississippi because that's what it'll turn into.

I see them trying to claim liberal areas though, like Santa Clara and San Diego.
    Last edited by Wyrt; 2018-01-16 at 09:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But...

The unbolded part says it can be done by consent of the state legislature and congress. The likelihood that Sacramento would agree to it is very slim, but it could technically be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Actually it's because San Diego is a Naval port city and largely Republican, this is just gerrymandering at the state level.
    San Diego maybe used to be Republican, but it's not any more. There are about 110,000 more registered democrats in San Diego county and the county voted heavily for Clinton.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    I'm confused on how they chose to divide it up. Why isn't San Diego included with the other big cities and coastal areas?
    San Diego has traditionally been more Republican leaning, though much more moderate than the eastern parts of the state. Orange County as well.

On topic: This idea to split the state in half, into thirds or even sixths comes up every 10 years or so. This will never happen. There is no way San Diego or OC will want to be associated with rural counties. They will basically support those other regions.

People just think about this from a political standpoint. But demographics shift. Politics change. San Francisco was once reliably conservative through the 1940s and 50s. Just because San Diego and OC are Republican leaning doesn't mean they'll vote to join this state of Jefferson. The economies are drastically different, populations are drastically different.

By the way, the State of Jefferson would include parts of southern Oregon.

And let's not even get into the water issues, which has plagued the state since its inception and continues to this day. Water and transportation infrastructure alone would kill any effort to split the state.
    Last edited by Dwarfhamster; 2018-01-16 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    The unbolded part says it can be done by consent of the state legislature and congress. The likelihood that Sacramento would agree to it is very slim, but it could technically be done.
    False. The quote is three separate statements:

1. New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union
    2. No new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State
    3. No State shall be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

Semicolons have a specific meaning and usage in legal documents, unlike in other cases, where they mostly just confuse people; it is their primary function other than testing students' grasp of grammar rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flam View Post
    This boils down to sectioning the state into Republican and Democrat, end of story really, San Diego is really the only odd piece.
    I'm not sure I understand the motive here. Unless you are suggesting that New California (the blue portion *poor choice in color if that's the case*) is primarily republican.

Also, being from So Cal... I can tell you that San Bernardino, Riverside, and San Diego... are heavily democrat... so that works against them. Whereas a lot of your northern, and mid counties are farming countries and tend to be much more republican.

This is a really odd place to split the state.

To me (again as a resident) knowing the mindsets of various people (friends and family throughout the state) it would make far more sense to split the state somewhere along the LA county line, perhaps splitting San Bernardino county along the Interstate 40, and include Santa Barbara, and Los Angeles and everything south of it.

Really everything North of the grapevine is an entirely different state from So Cal.

But...

You have to read the whole thing. It is not saying it can not be done, it says it can not be done without consent of state legislature and congress.
    Felpooti - DH - Echo Isles
    Hack - Warrior - Echo Isles
    Pootie - Hunter - Echo Isles

Goodbye Cali will be nice to never have another democratic win the popular vote with +4 million votes from 1 state...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    Semicolons have a specific meaning and usage in legal documents.
    Ah, I wasn't aware of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshots View Post
    Goodbye Cali will be nice to never have another democratic win the popular vote with +4 million votes from 1 state...
    You're aware that 'Old California' is mostly where those millions of votes came from, right?

The counties of 'New California' are barely populated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Did you know that most states have some form of succession they have cooked up?

Want there a plan for California to become five States? If anything rather than becoming two, every country skis become it's own state. The infrastructure is already set up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    USing West Virginia as an example of how to do this is silly. The circumstances of the civil war aren't exactly in play here.
    Didn't they say " much like how West Virginia was done " as in HOW it was legally done, not why it was done.