Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    There really isn't a strong connection between harsh punishment and low crime rates. A lot of the most crime riddled places in the world are also some of the harshest to deal with criminals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Child molesters are mentally ill. You need heavy drugs for some, indefinite confinement for others.

Buuut, drug offenders, thieves or hell, even murderers, aren't child molesters. You can rehabilitate most people. You can't rehabilitate some. So we shouldn't do it at all because of a few?
    Agree with this we can’t set people up for failure and then be surprised someone did and go “See they didn’t want to change”. Some who is an ex con might have to work harder to earn trust.

But some won’t even look past their mistakes to give them a chance to earn it. While others just seek to exploit it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    The prison system shouldn’t be about trust but about helping people who don’t fit into society fit in.
    The prison system is not just about punishing the offenders, but also about protecting their victims and the society from criminals by keeping them locked up at least for a while. It's better to keep one serial offender locked up than letting him ruin the lives of hundreds of other people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    There really isn't a strong connection between harsh punishment and low crime rates. A lot of the most crime riddled places in the world are also some of the harshest to deal with criminals.
    Some and a lot of those same places are guilty of crimes far worse that aren’t conveniently on the books at all.

I mean me call me crazy but I think sending in troops to execute or kill people on erroneous information should be murder just like anything else.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    The prison system is not just about punishing the offenders, but also about protecting their victims and the society from criminals by keeping them locked up at least for a while. It's better to keep one serial offender locked up than letting him ruin the lives of hundreds of other people.
    And it’s better to rehabilitat a serial offender then it is it lock him up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I lived in Singapore. You couldn't chew gum in public there, so keep that in mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    I'll throw you a bone. From what I was saying earlier, thieves and drug users shouldn't even be in jail. Prison should be reserved for those that are committing horrendous acts. This is why I'm saying I don't have a problem with people having high jail times because prison really should be reserved for those that are a danger to society.
    I agree with this. I might be in the minority here but drug problems such as using is a health matter not criminal.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'll throw you a bone. From what I was saying earlier, thieves and drug users shouldn't even be in jail. Prison should be reserved for those that are committing horrendous acts. This is why I'm saying I don't have a problem with people having high jail times because prison really should be reserved for those that are a danger to society.
    I wouldn’t agree with that as something like flogging Won’t really teach people any thing other then not to get caught.

- - - Updated - - -

If someone is a serial offender it's clear they have no interest in rehabilitation.
    Or they don’t know how to rehabilitate them selfs and there’s no structre there to help them.

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone is a serial offender it's clear they have no interest in rehabilitation.
    Yep going to have to agree. But I still want to make sure the system is audited and working as it’s supposed to. It’s not unheard of those getting monies to help rehabilitate aren’t.

We had that period - it was called the war on drugs, three strikes, and broken window theory.

The pendulum is swinging back because of the fact that escalation is essentially, ineffective.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I wouldn’t agree with that as something like flogging Won’t really teach people any thing other then not to get caught.

- - - Updated - - -

Or they don’t know how to rehabilitate them selfs and there’s no structre there to help them.

You nailed it but part of the problem is also. Some of the biggest criminals don’t have a police record. Someone hires an ex convicted to do something, but under the table ask them to do illegal things. He says no maybe they have a target on their back. If they snitch they get other victims caught up into it.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you need a course on "Mugging people is wrong!" then you're a lost cause.
    More so a course of how to get by without mugging people, how to get a proper education if you don’t have one, how to get job skills if you don’t have any. How many muggers are there with full diplomas and tons of available job.

Our prison system isn't designed to rehabilitate people but to create repeat offenders, you can take a listen to conference calls from private prison executives who brag about their 77% recidivism rate. If you are going to jail in the US the odds are you are going to come back we've designed it that way by cutting everything that had to do with rehabilitation on the premise of being tough on crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you need a course on "Mugging people is wrong!" then you're a lost cause.
    Mugging someone means you need money what do you need money for. Mugging people isn’t easier or more profitable than most jobs. Unless you’re a drug addict or stupid. Or can’t get any of those jobs because of a mistake you made in the past like mugging people.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Unless rehabilitation was never an option for them.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We should be more strict with crime. Harsher penalties for some crimes. Do not think we need to follow Singapore's example however. But hard core drug ( not weed ) pushers ( not users ) should be treated like mass murderers. Because that is in essence what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Sure, but how much personal freedom are you willing to trade? How draconian do you want punishments even more minor offenses to be to enforce peace?
    What would you call a minor offense? We recently had someone help themselves to all of the power tools in our barn while we were at work. Since they didn't break into our home, and no one was injured, that's considered a minor offense by the letter of the law. Nevermind the fact that they did this right before the holidays leaving us with the decision of whether to replace items we needed to take care of our ranch, or get the kids a Christmas surprise we had been planning for months. You probably wouldn't like it very much if you knew what I'm going to do if I ever catch those people on my property again. They should hope the cops catch them before I do.

Singapore should not be anyone's model for anything.

Sorry, Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    that would mean he's a liberal.
    Ooh sick burn.

But it would've been more punchy if you spelled it "NO U".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    We should be more strict with crime. Harsher penalties for some crimes. Do not think we need to follow Singapore's example however. But hard core drug ( not weed ) pushers ( not users ) should be treated like mass murderers. Because that is in essence what they are.
    You already have the world's largest incarcerated population, by number AND percentage. You have more people in prison per capita than police states, dictatorships and war zones. Many of those in prison are there on drug charges, because of a decades-long turd of a policy that you refuse to pinch off called "the war on drugs".

But yeah sure, getting tougher on drugs will totally solve your problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

- - - Updated - - -

You already have the world's largest incarcerated population, by number AND percentage. You have more people in prison per capita than police states, dictatorships and war zones. Many of those in prison are there on drug charges, because of a decades-long turd of a policy that you refuse to pinch off called "the war on drugs".

But yeah sure, getting tougher on drugs will totally solve your problems.
    When mass murderers are executed, it lowers the population of the prisons.

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Yeah that kind of garbage is unnecessary. That has nothing to do with dealing with crime or justice.
    "Don't they still remove peoples hands for the crime of stealing?"

"That has nothing to do with crime or justice."

Wat.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"