Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Alliance response to this thread, thank you Billy Joel.

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning since the world's been turning
    We didn't start the fire
    No, we didn't light it, but we tried to fight it

Quote Originally Posted by traumabrew View Post
    The Alliance response to this thread, thank you Billy Joel.

We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning since the world's been turning
    We didn't start the fire
    No, we didn't light it, but we tried to fight it
    Dude, what the hell is your problem?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    I'd rather see Sylvanas redeem herself, and move away from evil. Counter to Jaina's recent fall. Possibly with each helping the other to heal, somehow.
    Bit late for that. Sylvanas can not be redeemed without wrecking both the Worgen and Forsaken's the entire story arcs. I'd much rather see the Forsaken redeemed and given a new story direction, away from existing purely to be Sylvanas' excuse to justify pretty much any atrocity. To go there, she probably has to die her final death.

With some luck, that's what BFA is setting us up for.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    I mean, I'm not against that, it's just hard to see happening for me. So many things happened around her that haven't changed her viewpoint much at all. I'm open to it, just don't see it.

How would you see that happening? Out of curiosity.
    Through being Warchief.

We're shown in the Christie Golden novel that she's not used to being in the spotlight. That it's uncomfortable for her to be out of the shadows and in the light. She can't cut herself off, any longer. And that's a lot more powerful than a lot of people seem to realize. People who are depressed are cut off, they sometimes engineer ways to be separate, to be alone, because they don't feel like they deserve attention, affection, or even care of any kind.

In the darkness she relives the bad things that happened to her. She thinks of every possible contingency, every way someone might harm her again, and seeks to cut them off. She's so wrapped up in pain and anger she can't see straight.

But in the Light? She can't hide. She can't avoid the life of the world. As Warchief she doesn't have the -luxury- of sitting in a dark corner and abusing herself, mentally.

She has to face the world, to see that there is still life and love and hardship. And be a -part- of it. I hope that ignites some spark of feeling in her dead heart, and shows her that there is still good, there are those who are not "Her People" who would fight and die for her out of loyalty, respect, duty, and honor. And, given time, she might come to see them as her people as well. Protect them... and come to understand that Peace is the best solution.

Genn would never forgive her. Even if she sued for peace with Anduin, even if Anduin agreed, Genn would come after her, or undermine the treaty. But she could be the hero of that story... the hero the Horde needs by getting back into touch with her High Elf side, essentially.

Restitution would be nearly impossible. But a nice heel-face turn is possible.
    When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like injustice.

5+ Year Old Account
    Ah, blind Horde fanboyism...these forums reek of it..

Nothing to see here folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenji87 View Post
    Several things are wrong here.

1. The Horde wanted to use the Azerite to destroy the Alliance and the only tried to get it to prevent it, or to fight back. Not to mention the Horde did the same on Draenor. The Alliance was digging for a relic which they could use against the Iron Horde, but the Horde, thinking the Alliance are warmongers like themselves, assumed the Alliance intended to use it against them and attacked them. Hence why we had the battleground Ashran.
    2. The war is started by Teldrassil being burned, which is the Horde's action.
    3. The Horde is warmongers, always the agressors, the Alliance is the peaseful faction, always the defenders.
    You really need to learn your Lore.
    1: How do you know this?

2: How do you know this?

3: Blatant bait comment.
    Last edited by Saverem; 2018-01-18 at 07:58 PM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    I actually wasn't aware of any peace treaties in Northrend... Huh!

I'll have to go re-read things. I'm sorry for making the argument without solid footing, and retract my previous position.
    As with FAR TOO MANY THINGS with Blizzard, it was a brief note in one of the books... Mainly when Garrosh kills the sailors. I mainly only remember it because Garrosh, while pretty brutal and wicked, is also pretty meticulous about skirting the rules rather than breaking them. That's why he waited for the ship to drift into waters where whatever they had signed/agreed to didn't apply. He could technically kill them without being in violation of anything.

Kind of like everyone accuses him of killing civilians at Theramore. Again, he skirted the rules of combat by using the mana bomb, but he didn't outright break them because he rolled up, planted his flags and ships and sat there for a day or two. The only thing he didn't do was send a letter saying "Civilians better run, y'all." He intentionally gave civilians time to escape, though.

Garrosh was ultimately kind of a nutjob, but people overexaggerate how quickly he went more and more extreme. It really was a gradual progression for him to reach an "ends justify the means" conclusion.

As much as I hate him, I still have to acknowledge he started the war with some good intentions. On his side, the night elves were lying, making up excuses to ban the Horde from their forest and condemn them to starvation. He just had those war glory beliefs and felt the Horde should take what they wanted instead of pursue diplomacy. I understand the reason, disagree with the method.

I still find it interesting that to this day, neither the Horde nor Alliance ever fully uncovered the truth about the Twilight Cult manipulating them into war after the Cataclysm.

Edit:Fairly sure it's in The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm.

Wowpedia has this:
    "With both factions recovering from war, the Alliance and Horde attempt to resume their tentative peace declared by their respective faction's peace treaty. Yet political tensions rose as the night elves of Darnassus have refused trade with the Horde and barred them from Ashenvale in protest of the Wrathgate. With the Horde’s supplies being depleted on account of the war with the Lich King and the unusual droughts affecting Orgrimmar, things were looking bleak for the Horde. Relations worsen as Twilight Hammer orcs under the guise of Horde forces, kill and skin night elf sentinels to frame the Horde. In an effort to quell the rising tensions, Hamuul Runetotem attempted to pursue diplomatic talks with his fellow night elf druids. Yet the talks became violent when the druid meeting was attacked by Twilight Hammer orcs believed to be sent by Garrosh Hellscream, acting warchief of the Horde."

I could have sworn the book says they end their trade/hunting treaties in response to the sentinels being killed, but I'd have to check the book itself when I'm home.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2018-01-18 at 08:06 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    We know that Azerite is powerful, that it's got a lot of energy in it that can be released (Somehow).

How Sylvanas intends to use it is anyone's guess. A lot of people think she wants to use it as some kind of megabomb, which is possible. Personally I think she wants to use it to do the one thing she's been shown to want to do for the past decade or more:

Save Herself and the Forsaken.

We know that the ritual to make Nathanos "Healthier", or at least less rotten, took -massive- quantities of power, more than she can spare to just give to -all- the Forsaken. Imagine using Titansblood to restore the Forsaken from Undeath? Or to somehow ensure that all of the people of Azeroth can avoid the Shadowlands? Man.. -that- would be crazy. Ripping the Shadowlands apart with Titansblood to create an eternal paradise in the middle of the shadow, using the Nightborne's magical prowess to create super strong shields to keep it safe...

No one knows what she plans to use it for, yet.

As to the War being "Started" by the Burning of Teldrassil: That is very clearly not the case. The burning of Teldrassil and the destruction of Lordaeron both happen months from now, just before BFA launches. And we're going to be recruiting Allied Races before that. We know this because there's no Burning of Teldrassil event or questlines within the game, but the Embassies and Allied Races mechanics are already in-game, but disabled.
    Last edited by Steampunkette; 2018-01-18 at 08:06 PM.
    When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like injustice.

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    1: How do you know this?

2: How do you know this?

3: Blatant troll comment.
    1. It's the Horde - it's what they do. Destroy. It's what they've done since the beginning.

2. It's the Horde - it's what they do. Destroy.

3. This one I'll tackle seriously. While the poster was pretty hyperbolic in his descriptions, there's something to this belief. It has long been a major complaint from Warcraft fans regardless of faction preference that the Alliance stories have previously been reactive and static. Events simply happened to them, or were thrust upon them, with little agency in the actions of the main faction leaders. Legion did a lot of good in rectifying this by giving them motivations that are sometimes as grey and morally ambiguous as the Horde's have been in the past. It's certainly refreshing, and this is just a fine example of the stronger stories continuing.

I would like to point out that we're talking about a faction that attacks and seizes a small enemy encampment of militarily significant value. Which is not exactly equivalent to, say, attacking a completely peaceful group, murdering their future king, and destroying their entire homeland.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soooo....people want to whine and cry and bitch about the next expansion being the faction war. Then.....you come to this thread. Really people? I swear some of these comments you can see the faces getting red and veins engorging in the neck and tears filling the eyes. You wonder why Blizzard decided to get out of the fel crap and get back down to people getting anal about pixel people? I don't....and say brilliant move. Oh, and this fight about what side is the best? Duh.....quite obvious.......For the Horde!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenji87 View Post
    3. The Horde is warmongers, always the agressors, the Alliance is the peaseful faction, always the defenders.
    You really need to learn your Lore.
    hahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHhahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I'd keep laughing but your anime avatar already betrayed you as a clueless diehard alliance fan

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    Free Samples
    Collect 8 Mysterious Ore samples.

Description
    The crown has ordered SI:7 to infiltrate the goblin mining operation and collect any information we can find on this mysterious new substance. My agents have infiltrated the camp, but the clock is ticking and we need to get our hands on some extracted ore samples fast. In other words, I need someone who can take the direct approach. Someone who can handle a fight against overwhelming odds and come out alive. Take the ore samples to Khargus Stonemantle for analysis when you return.

murder and stole, in the goblin culture the stole is at the same level as murder.
    If murder and stealing were such big taboos in Goblin culture we wouldn't be lead by a guy who stole from us and tried to kill us. Also nowhere in what you wrote it specifically states the quest giver wants us to kill anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Pppppfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff. You wish.
    Varian spared the horde back in Orgrimmar, and even then, when he died, it was due to Greymane's incompetence
    Fixed that for you. Rewatch the fight sense before Varian dies. Varian told Genn to tell Windrunner they needed help, Genn didn't even move a muscle to do that.

Deleted
    The Alliance Invasion into the Barrens was before Garrosh invaded Ashenvale to take enough food for the starving Orc population. That means, the Alliance started the war in Cataclysm.

After Siege of Orgrimmar up until the Broken Shore, and even after that, there was a Nonaggression Pact between the Horde and Alliance as far as i know. And Genn broke this pact with his unprovoked attack on Sylvanas in Stormheim. At that point, the Horde didn't attack or kill members of the Alliance.

I'm not sure i would describe the action of the Alliance in Silithus as "starting a war", but it certainly is a big provocation to the Horde.

In regards to Sylvanas, i think her future is to take the empty position of Helya. This way, she can save her own soul and she can send out Valkyr, who rescue the souls of the Forsaken from the suffering Arthas' Soul endures right now in the Afterlife. But for this to happen, Sylvanas needs to obtain some new powers Helya possesed and i'm not sure, if she can obtain those.

Deleted
    lol! Total troll thread.

Like, Sylvanas was just planning to make shinny fuzzy teddybears with those when she said it changes everythiing. Those poor goblins, like one mana bomb wasn't enough. They are so innocent. ^^

Those nasty alliances, how dare they not just stand still and get blown to bits? Evil things they are.

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    the war is started with just a bunch of horde goblins peacefully minding their own business, with anduin and his chewbacca mentor tasking alliance players to kill goblins.

the horde is the more peaceful faction. we all already knew this tho.
    Yeah dude. The Alliance is evil. Poor Horde dindu nuffin. The Horde is peaceful and Slyvanus only wants to visit Stormwind to hand out milk and cookies. Genn is the Boogeyman.
    "Father, is it over? I see only darkness before me."

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    lol! Total troll thread.
    Holy shit, I agree with Nemmar! Miracles do happen!

In all seriousness though... yes, this thread is a sham. The Alliance is not evil. Coming from a die-hard Hordy.
    "These are Allied Races, these aren't Sub-Races. There's no direct associated Race or "Parent Race" or anything like that" -Ion Hazzikostas, Blizzcon 2017 Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    No, it's not terrorism. The root intent is not to kill or, worse, mass-kill, it's to obtain information. This is called "intelligence".

- - - Updated - - -

It's bad, sure, but the assumption is that the Horde do the same to obtain their intelligence.

This cannot count as a start of a war, it's way too small.

A spark would be the intelligence accidentally killing or obducting Sylvanas, for example. Or accidentally blowing up the entire camp with tons of casualties.
    intelligence, right? Then they order you to put bombs on the property of the goblins to ruin their work as it is cataloged? terrorism

It's a Sabotage
    Plant 10 dynamite bundles.

Explosives placed (10)
    Description
    The Horde has wasted no time in shamelessly extracting this mysterious ore from the great wound. Luckily for us, goblin engineering is not nearly as sophisticated as what we create in Gnomeregan! All it takes is a little bit of old fashioned dynamite to completely disable a goblin shredder. What unsophisticated machinery! Take these dynamite bundles and plant them on the inactive shredders around the mining camp. It'll take those greedy goblins weeks to get back up and running again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7U7kSgKeQ4

I seriously don't understand why people are still taking this guy's baits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    intelligence, right? Then they order you to put bombs on the property of the goblins to ruin their work as it is cataloged? terrorism
    No, sabotage. The quest even tells you so. Which is fully in the purview of intelligence agencies worldwide.

It's not terrorism unless the goal is to incite fear. That's what the word means, after all.