Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Question MacBook Pro or premium windows laptop?

Hey guys,

I’m in the market for a new laptop and I want something that is going to last a long time. I’ve had it with cheap laptops and I’m willing to spend a little more coin to get something nice. I want something slim , light and good looking. Nothing that screams “gamer”. My budget is $1400. I really want a MacBook Pro 13”. It has amazing reviews, good build quality and it’s reliable.

I know my budget will get me the low end model but I’m willing to go refurbished.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Hey guys,

I’m in the market for a new laptop and I want something that is going to last a long time. I’ve had it with cheap laptops and I’m willing to spend a little more coin to get something nice. I want something slim , light and good looking. Nothing that screams “gamer”. My budget is $1400. I really want a MacBook Pro 13”. It has amazing reviews, good build quality and it’s reliable.

I know my budget will get me the low end model but I’m willing to go refurbished.
    If you were serious about video editting then get the mac pro, final cut pro performance destroys anything you can get on windows right now.

If you were after something for more general use, then look at the ultra books or wait a little bit longer because the new AMD APUs are looking pretty damn good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    You have some reason other than the name brand factor for needing a mac book pro? Or do you wear a North Face Jacket while listening to Beats headphones? Waste of money to buy a mac book pro if you aren't buying it for practical purposes. You want a "Nice" laptop for what browsing the web? I had a Mac and not a cheap one either I had the most expensive 15 inch model they made. I bought mine for college I was a Computer Science major who also did some video editing and other stuff you buy a Mac for. In 4 years I had to send it in 3 times and spent another $600 in repair fees because the logic board kept over heating. Now, I've got a 2 in 1 Dell with touchscreen and it's faster than the mac was at everything but video compressing. Don't buy a Mac simply because it's a Mac.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    With that budget you can get a serviceable gaming laptop if you go PC. As was already said, you go Mac because you're a hardcore Apple fan (in which case you wouldn't be posting this) or you're into video production.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are you going to use it for? If it is more edeting and making videos etc, MacBook.
    If it is more general use, I would say a normal windows laptop. I would say spend 700-900 on a laptop and you'll be good.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    What are you going to use it for? If it is more edeting and making videos etc, MacBook.
    If it is more general use, I would say a normal windows laptop. I would say spend 700-900 on a laptop and you'll be good.

More general use and for grad school in the future. I really want something that is going to last a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys,

This might not be the answer you're seeking, but I'll try my best.

The first thing you need to ask yourself is how much you care about the experience. If you think you do care about it, a Macbook is usually a very good purchase for various reasons:

1) The display is great. OSX is also a color managed operating system so even if the display has a wider gamut, sRGB content won't look too saturated. OSX also does DPI scaling better than Windows, regardless of what you're using your programs will all look great. Windows has decent support on WinRT, but Win32 is hit or miss. You might not realise it, but almost everything you do on a computer gets to you through the display, and having a great display experience makes everything feel nicer.
    2) Apple has absolute control over their software and a lot of control over their hardware. Things like the touchpad are just better than on windows machines for obvious reasons.
    3) Build quality is great. The metal body makes it feel like your money was actually worth something. You won't get cheap plastic.

The second thing you need to ask yourself is whether or not you actually need a *NIX operating system. There are a lot of things that are simpler to do on a unix-like operating system, of course you can always just run Windows with the WSL or Windows with a Linux VM/dual boot, but having a single operating system with commercial software support and POSIX compliant is just extremely nice when you need it to be.

Now gaming. If you plan on playing games just buy a decent Windows machine. Yes you can play some games on OSX and yes you can dual boot Windows on a mac but the hardware you can get for the same price on a Windows laptop is simply better for playing games. If you're going to buy the least expensive MBP13 you're not even getting the relatively fine for light gaming AMD dGPU.

Do you own any other Apple products? In the case you don't necessarily even know what UNIX is but still has a bunch of Apple things around, OSX might still make some sense due to how well the ecosystem works together, but I personally wouldn't bother with it.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2018-01-20 at 12:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    More general use and for grad school in the future. I really want something that is going to last a long time.
    I would go for a laptop, but that's mainly because the only feature I like on the MacBook is their amazing touchpad. But if we say you're going for a windows laptop.
    What screen size, resolution and harddrive space, do you maybe want a 2 in 1? Details man, details.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    This might not be the answer you're seeking, but I'll try my best.

The first thing you need to ask yourself is how much you care about the experience. If you think you do care about it, a Macbook is usually a very good purchase for various reasons:

1) The display is great. OSX is also a color managed operating system so even if the display has a wider gamut, sRGB content won't look too saturated. OSX also does DPI scaling better than Windows, regardless of what you're using your programs will all look great. Windows has decent support on WinRT, but Win32 is hit or miss. You might not realise it, but almost everything you do on a computer gets to you through the display, and having a great display experience makes everything feel nicer.
    2) Apple has absolute control over their software and a lot of control over their hardware. Things like the touchpad are just better than on windows machines for obvious reasons.
    3) Build quality is great. The metal body makes it feel like your money was actually worth something. You won't get cheap plastic.

The second thing you need to ask yourself is whether or not you actually need a *NIX operating system. There are a lot of things that are simpler to do on a unix-like operating system, of course you can always just run Windows with the WSL or Windows with a Linux VM/dual boot, but having a single operating system with commercial software support and POSIX compliant is just extremely nice when you need it to be.

Now gaming. If you plan on playing games just buy a decent Windows machine. Yes you can play some games on OSX and yes you can dual boot Windows on a mac but the hardware you can get for the same price on a Windows laptop is simply better for playing games. If you're going to buy the least expensive MBP13 you're not even getting the relatively fine for light gaming AMD dGPU.

Do you own any other Apple products? In the case you don't necessarily even know what UNIX is but still has a bunch of Apple things around, OSX might still make some sense due to how well the ecosystem works together, but I personally wouldn't bother with it.
    iPhone and Apple watch

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Windows. Macbooks are incredibly overpriced.
    No they arent.

Go ahead and find a feature comparable ultrabook from a Windows OEM. Itll be just as much. And yes, the size, weight, and construction quality are all features. LG Gram? just as much. HP Spectre? Just as much. Razer Blade/Stealth? Just as much. High end Lenovo? Just as much.

Yeah, you can grab a huge 5 1/2lb slab of plastic with a garbo TN panel with “similar specs” for less, but then youre not buying a feature-comparable machine.

Oh, know what else the MBP can do? Run Windows. Either natively or in a VM at little to no performance loss for most tasks.

Now, im not saying buy the MBP - of your needs include a lot of Windows-only apps, there are excellent MBP alternatives out there (like the new LG Gram) in the Windows world.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    I would go for a laptop, but that's mainly because the only feature I like on the MacBook is their amazing touchpad. But if we say you're going for a windows laptop.
    What screen size, resolution and harddrive space, do you maybe want a 2 in 1? Details man, details.
    13 inches, 1080p+, I can do with 256gb of SSD space.

Razer has the Blade Stealth V2 refurbished for 1k right now. 4k screen and 512GB NVMe SSD.

Not a bad deal at all.

- - - Updated - - -

My only real issue with the MBP (and most Ultrabooks under ~1400-1700] is that even the “i7” models are dual-core chips. If you can swing it, you might want to wait for ultrabooks based on Ryzen APUs to hit the market next month - there are a couple that are shipping 4core/8thread parts with 7 or 11 Vega GPU cores integrated that were shown at CES. They might end up being far better price/performers.

Ive found that having a true quad core + hyperthreading (or SMT for Ryzen) gives a LOT more longevity; my daily driver is a 15” 2012 MacBook Pro (the last user upgradeable model) with a real quad core i7 in it. It runs rings around the 13” 2012 that only has the dual-core i5 in it. Its still going strong enough that i dont anticipate replacing it for at least another year or even two (it will be 7 or 8 years old).

So id reiterate the “wait” if you can. Both for the Ryzen APU based laptops/ultrabooks and Coffee-Lake based ultrabooks coming soon (Feb & March). The Coffee Lake Ultrabooks that are coming are supposed to be full-up six core i5s and i7s, somtheyll be a big step up over current ultrabooks using dual-core Kaby Lake chips.

10+ Year Old Account
    13 inches, 1080p+, I can do with 256gb of SSD space.
    Okay, first of all I am once again biased because I love Asus hence why I will only recommend asus laptops.
    These 3 laptops all have CPUs that is 2.5 and turbo up to 3-3.1. Windows 10 home ofc. Backlit keyboards, battery is around 7h

My #1 pick is https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1TS-001A-004Y2
    First of all it is still on sale, resolution is 3200x1800, by far the best speakers which is good if you don't wanna use a headset all the time. The only one of these three with an i5 CPU, but it is 7th gen and the others are 6th gen. The most important part if you ask me, the IO. It got 2x USB A 3,0 and 1 USB C. Micro HDMI port and headphone jack.

My #2 pick is https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA24G6RJ9735
    This one got an i7 instead of i5 CPU. The resolution is 1920x1080 on an IPS panel. The IO is not stated on the website but it got 1 USB C, 3 USB A, (probably atleast 2 of them are 3.0), headphone jack and a normal HDMI port.

Then the #3 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16834232777
    This one also got a 3200x1800 resolution IPS. This one have a dedicated GPU, the other had integrated. By far the most ram 12gb the others had 8gb. Maybe 12 is a bit overkill but it is never bad to have extra ram. It also got touchscreen if that would interest you.
    The thing that made this my #3 choice is becasue of the IO. It does not have USB C... maybe that is not a big deal for you but it is for me. It also got aheadphone jack, HDMI port and a mini displayport. Also a sidenote, if this laptop would have had USB C, or if I just didn't care, this would have been my #1 pick.

Something non of these has in a DVD/CD rom. Almost no laptop got that anymore so if a CD/DVD player is needed just buy an external one that you connect with USB
    Once again, Asus is my love https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16827135256

As some have stated above me. Soon they will relese the new laptops with 8th gen which will in the end be better in anyway. So maybe wait for them if you can.
    Last edited by Crillam; 2018-01-20 at 02:16 AM.

Hey guys,

If you don't care about gaming with it get the Macbook Pro. I've had my 15" for 4 years now and its the best laptop I've ever owned. If Gaming is your concern then a windows laptop at the same price would be the wiser choice.

15+ Year Old Account
    You look like you want the Macbook Pro not because you need it, but because of "image" and aesthetics. While that might not be the most rational thing and won't get you the most bang for the buck, it is something i can understand (and also have done myself).

Regardless if you decide on an Apple or a Windows machine, here are some criteria that you should look out for, which might not seem that obvious at first glance:

- IPS Screen: While that should be a given for models in the >$1000 price range, just make sure. Some gaming laptops might feature a high-refresh rate TN panel, which are fine if you care about gaming, but are sub-par for everything else.

- Screen resolution: If you get an Apple, then go nuts... The higher the better (just keep in mind, that higher resolution lowers your battery life). If you get a Windows machine, then you need to be aware of possible scaling issues, especially for third-party programs. Sadly a lot of applications are still designed without consideration for higher resolutions and elements will look blurry if the scaling in windows is set above 100% (which will be needed for anything above 1080p on a laptop).

- Track pad: While you shouldn't have any serious issues with higher end models, a good track pad is a quality of life improvement and can be a major reason, why people go with Apple (which has arguably the best track pads).

- Speakers: There are terrible speakers out there, especially on the business models. At my workplace we currently use HP Elitebook and Fujitsu Celsius laptops and the speakers on both those lines are awful. Even if someone would offer me these at half price, i would not buy them for personal use (the speakers are that bad).

- CPU: If you want your laptop to be even slightly future-proof, make sure to get a quad-core cpu. Even in everyday use, you will see an improvement (websites render faster etc., the computer will feel just "snappier").

- Cooling system: It is a given, that you should check reviews because of thermals and noise. But if you are someone that likes to use the laptop in bed at night, then it might be advantageous to look for a model which doesn't have the air intakes at the bottom.

With all of this said, if you decide to go windows instead of apple, then i would recommend to take a look at the Dell XPS models (either 13" or 15"):
    - good track pad
    - very slim bezels (making the chassis about 1" smaller compared to other laptops with the same screen size)
    - good screens (either 1080p non-touch or 4k touch, 3200x1800 touch for the 13" 2-in-1)
    - decent speakers
    - Except for the 13" 2-in-1 they all feature quad core cpus. The XPS 15 currently still uses Kaby Lake, but new Coffee Lake models are coming.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now MacBook Pro is a waste of time because it uses older generation CPUs. At the very least should wait for refresh with actual 8th generation CPUs.

Once that is out of the way and if money is not a concern - MacBook is better than Windows laptop because it has OSX, which allows to run and develop software you can't do on Windows/Linux machines (and no Mac VMs are shit for the purpose), while flipside you can install Win on Mac just fine if you so desire.

They are way overpriced however. IMO Dell XPS line kicks MacBook ass hardware and aesthetics-wise and is cheaper. The only curveball here is again OSX.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2018-01-20 at 08:09 AM.

Macbook pro, has a much better build quality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Right now MacBook Pro is a waste of time because it uses older generation CPUs. At the very least should wait for refresh with actual 8th generation CPUs.

Once that is out of the way and if money is not a concern - MacBook is better than Windows laptop because it has OSX, which allows to run and develop software you can't do on Windows/Linux machines (and no Mac VMs are shit for the purpose), while flipside you can install Win on Mac just fine if you so desire.

They are way overpriced however. IMO Dell XPS line kicks MacBook ass hardware and aesthetics-wise and is cheaper. The only curveball here is again OSX.
    Very few windows gaming laptops use 8th gen as well. The MBP will refresh in june with 8th gen.

Mac products are INCREDIBLY overpriced.
    The only realistic use for mac products is for their (usually) amazing screen and specific mac-oriented graphic design software.
    Honestly those tiny screens are IMO awful and the high resolution is wasted on such a small screen (like 13").

In any other scenario a Windows laptop will give you better hardware/performance for less money.
    It might not look as pretty and you have to endure Micro$oft endless spyware and retarded features, but for gaming it is much better than a mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Mac products are INCREDIBLY overpriced.
    No they aren't.

Again, go ahead and find me a feature-comparable Ultrabook (which includes size, weight, and construction materials) that is a great deal cheaper. A little cheaper? Yes, you pay an Apple tax, but Apple's products havent been overpriced for their category in a loooooonnnnnngggg time. Its time to put this myth to rest.

Hell, you cant even buy the SCREEN in the 5K iMac for what Apple sells the entire machine for. (LG and Dell both offer standalone 5k screens that use the same panel - by LG - for 1699 and 1899 respectively; you can get the baseline 5k iMac for 1700).

but for gaming it is much better than a mac.
    He mentioned that he's not particularly worried about gaming, which is why he's looking at Ultrabooks.

Again, im not saying to not consider a Windows machine - depending on your needs and use case, it might be a better choice, and there are some excellent PC Ultrabooks out there that rival Apple's quality and features. But they aren't going to be significantly cheaper, unless they're on sale. (Seriously, that Razer Blade v2 is a steal at 1k for the refurb).

But i will also re-confirm what i said earlier and what Biernot said - if you want longevity out of a laptop, get a real quad core.... which is gonna price you out of the ~1300$ range.

But with the new Summit Ridge Ryzen APU-based ultrabooks coming, that may change, since the chips are actually pretty cheap and perform quite well (yeah, Ryzen doesn't OC as well as Intel so for Desktops in a lot of cases Intel is still better, but since no laptop is rocking 4+ Ghz anyway, Ryzen is WAY more competitive and the Summit Ridge APUs have VERY good iGPUs) according to the tests at CES. You may be able to get a capable quad-core ultrabook for ~1100-1300 with a Quad-core + SMT Ryzen.

Also, i know most major PC manufacturers are going to using Quad and Hex core Coffee Lake based laptop chips in about the same time frame. LG just updated the Gram like three months after the last update with newer chips. Razer has updates coming down the pipe too, for their whole lineup. (Which is why the current lineup is on sale for hundreds off, i'd assume.)

Unfortunately, Apple likely wont update the MBP line until early summer at ADC... so that'd be a bit of a wait. Skinny is that they might be going with Intel's Hades Canyon hybrid Intel CPU + AMD Vega graphics, which would be a HUGE step up for MBP gaming potential on the low end machines. (And just video output in general, as it would finally support 4k/60+ natively) If you can wait till June or July for them to ship, of course.

Deleted
    I bought a late 2017 mbp 13". I have a nice desktop as my main gaming machine.

I get 60fps at 1400x900 in wow which is more than fine for using on trains and planes and hotels etc.

Elite dangerous plays very nice at similar res. Running games at full screen res kills fps.

It's built lime a tank. The touchpad is unlike anything I've tried on a win laptop and really amazing. The sad is insanely fast even for fast ssds.

The battery gets me at least 10 hours if I'm not gaming. If I'm playing wow maybe 2.5 hours...

Screen is nice enough but nothing special.

Oh and it looks amazing like it's hewn out of titanium.