Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    I don't get it at all.
    I guess you've not heard of the Falkland War...?

Because the Falklanders had a vote on the matter and unanimously wanted to remain British, because Argentina is fucking garbage in comparison. They don't want to be part of Argentina.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    I'm always really skeptical about these things. The UK government has been up to some shady stuff, as we saw recently with the leaked secret documents of them being responsible for the assassination of some of the political leaders in Ireland over the past century. Without wanting to tread into conspiracy theories, I think it's not wrong to hold some level of skepticism about these things.

That said, the Falklands probably is better off under UK territory. Better living conditions and infrastructure than they'd have under Argentina.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not that hard to find a lot of articles about it:
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/gr...ands-argentina
    An opinion piece from the guardian, so no proof.

Deleted
    How reliable is that claim though? Vote tampering? Misinformation?

Just curious.
    Why the hell would they ever vote to be part of Argentina? Try to motivate ever being part of Argentina instead of Great Britain, when the people living there are British.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant008 View Post
    For some reason Argentine thinks they are an European nation. Maybe they want the UK to have the falklands so they can call themselves neighbors of a European country? I don't know, I usually don't understand the Argentine logic.
    ?!?!?!? We fight for the Malvinas every day of our lives on International forums and congresses (to no avail might I add). We don't want a militarized UK colony on our border thanks

btw, while I do believe the majority of people in the islands want to be british, the number that goes around (around 90%) always is absolute bullshit since they only give the right of vote to UK citizens. So no shit UK citizens want to stay british.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Why the hell would they ever vote to be part of Argentina? Try to motivate ever being part of Argentina instead of Great Britain, when the people living there are British.
    Leaving a wealthier society you were born to for a poorer society that's alien to you is insainty as you say hence why they stayed with us.

There is something really suspicious when you see a vote has 99% of the votes, as it turns out a bunch of people who lived in the Falklands were not allowed to vote. So yes, it makes sense as Fidel Castro said: "called by the British in which only British citizens can vote to decide whether the territory they inhabit is to be British." - Okay, so in that sense I can then understand why it weren't tampered votes, but it seemed rigged then at least.

Mind that I don't care either way which way the vote went. I'm just applying some proper levels of skepticism, which honestly everyone should apply when they read news and sources like that. International politics is always mired with misinformation and deception.
    So they weren't citizens then? What's the problem with non-citizens not being allowed to vote? Why should non-citizens be allowed to vote even?

Deleted
    Why-do-the-Brits-still-own-the-Falklands-when-the-Falklands-is-Argentinian
    Hows it Argentinian if the Brits own it?

Deleted
    I'm always really skeptical about these things. The UK government has been up to some shady stuff, as we saw recently with the leaked secret documents of them being responsible for the assassination of some of the political leaders in Ireland over the past century. Without wanting to tread into conspiracy theories, I think it's not wrong to hold some level of skepticism about these things.

That said, the Falklands probably is better off under UK territory. Better living conditions and infrastructure than they'd have under Argentina.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not that hard to find a lot of articles about it:
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/gr...ands-argentina

"Note also how those who are not of British background - such as the sizeable community of immigrants from Chile and Saint Helena - are excluded from the vote."
    Did you even read the article you quoted? It has absolutely NO evidence of it being rigged. Not even any suggestions it MIGHT have been rigged.

Even non brits were allowed to vote, if they had residence rights.

There are many, many reasons why falklands ownership is dodgy, but this vote is not even close to being one of them.

7+ Year Old Account
    There is something really suspicious when you see a vote has 99% of the votes, as it turns out a bunch of people who lived in the Falklands were not allowed to vote. So yes, it makes sense as Fidel Castro said: "called by the British in which only British citizens can vote to decide whether the territory they inhabit is to be British." - Okay, so in that sense I can then understand why it weren't tampered votes, but it seemed rigged then at least.

Mind that I don't care either way which way the vote went. I'm just applying some proper levels of skepticism, which honestly everyone should apply when they read news and sources like that. International politics is always mired with misinformation and deception.
    Your just floating conspiracy theories based on your own opinion, nothing more. Obviously it's possible but no reason at all to believe it's what happened.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azelas View Post
    ?!?!?!? We fight for the Malvinas every day of our lives on International forums and congresses (to no avail might I add). We don't want a militarized UK colony on our border thanks

btw, while I do believe the majority of people in the islands want to be british, the number that goes around (around 90%) always is absolute bullshit since they only give the right of vote to UK citizens. So no shit UK citizens want to stay british.
    Except you're full of shit.

The Falklands does not border on argentina, it must be at least 300 miles away.

Non british citizens were entitled to vote, and did.

Argentina occupied the islands for about a week in the 1860s.

Go take your warmongering, politically motivated nonsense elsewhere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azelas View Post

Why should none UK citizens get to vote on a UK matter ? I want to vote in the Argentine election, would I get a chance... Nope. Why well because I'm not from that country.

Just because something is "near" your country doesn't mean you by default own it. Fact of life for most part

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexton View Post
    Why should none UK citizens get to vote on a UK matter ? I want to vote in the Argentine election, would I get a chance... Nope. Why well because I'm not from that country.

Just because something is "near" your country doesn't mean you by default own it. Fact of life for most part
    They qualified as residents. Non of this is top secret you can google it yourself.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexton View Post

Yeah uk citizens voting on uk matters makes sense.

"Note also how those who are not of British background - such as the sizeable community of immigrants from Chile and Saint Helena - are excluded from the vote."

???

They didn't even allow all residents to vote, but you needed to have lived there for 7 years. The voting rules of that referendum seem really specific to me. It was not just a simple: "Everyone can vote" kinda referendum.
    No referendum ever in the history of the World was "everyone can vote". Why should people have been allowed to vote who just arrived a few months earlier for work, and never intended to stay longer than a year or two in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    What you did there. I see it. Others won’t. But I do.
    Oh but i saw it too

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because they have a stronger military than Argentina has.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because thats whats Falklands citizens want

Deleted

Why is it suspicious? Again, motivate ever being part of the corrupt shithole that is Argentina over the democratic Great Britain, an actual first world country.
    Watch anything about it from the people of the Falklands themselves, they DID NOT WANT Argentina. Why would they EVER want Argentina?

Deleted
    There are like a few hundred people living on that island, who lived there forever or immigrated from Chili a few decades ago (or a few Argentinians), who were never and are never going to be given citizenship. It's not as black and white as it seems.
    Well according to wikipedia you needed Falkland Islands status which apparently is obtained by birth, marriage or living there for 7 years.

Sounds pretty fair to me.

According to the 2012 census, 11% of the electorate were not born in either the Falkland Islands or the UK, this included 13 Argentine-born electors. With 1517 votes in total and 3 NO votes this mean that at least 10 of the 13 Argentinians voted to stay associated with the UK (or didn't vote at all)

Also I doubt that a lot of Argentinians actually deeply care about the Falklands - the whole issue is IMHO just brought up by the government as a distraction from their domestic problems.
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2018-01-21 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    Why do Americans not celebrate easter?
    I don't know what you're talking about. Americans DO celebrate Easter. There will be all kinds of Easter shit in the stores not long after Valentines Day.

My guess is the Brits still own the Falklands because they took them while a global empire, and don't want to give them up. Argentina isn't strong enough to take them by force. So until they are, or the Brits decided to give up the islands, they will remain British.