Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Tesla faces fresh Norway lawsuit over false advertising

Nearly 80 Tesla owners in Norway have reportedly sued the US automaker over misleading advertising, saying their electric car did not deliver the promised performance.
    The plaintiffs complained that the real power of their Tesla S P85D, a sedan with one of the fastest accelerations in the world, was 469 horsepower and not 700 horsepower as promised by the manufacturer, Norwegian daily Dagens Naeringsliv (DN) reported on Thursday.

They want the same compensation as another group of 133 Norwegian Tesla owners who previously sued the company and reached a deal in December 2016.

Tesla agreed to compensate the 133 car owners by paying them 65,000 kroner (7,260 euros) or by providing them with new equipment, according to the financial daily.

"It's the same kind of case that ended up in a compromise the last time," the plaintiffs' lawyer Christoffer Falkeid told the paper.

"It's about the power of the car and the mistakes in marketing and in the sales process but I do not want to go into amounts," he added.

Contacted by AFP, Tesla declined to comment.

A civil complaint will be examined in April by an Oslo court if no deal is reached until then.

According to Norwegian media, another group of 38 motorists also filed a lawsuit against Tesla last fall.

Norway, the world leader in electric cars in terms of market share, is one of the largest markets in the world for Tesla.

There are a total of 1,201 Tesla S P85Ds in Norway.

Last year, Tesla sales in the Nordic country reached 8,465, all models combined.

https://www.thelocal.no/20180111/tes...se-advertising

10+ Year Old Account
    See your problem is believing in electric cars to begin with.

tesla are a bunch of lying sacks of shit? say it isnt so! color me shocked!......

That would be false advertising, but really, who the fuck needs 700HP in a country where you'll rarely travel much faster than 80 kph. I don't exactly feel sorry these people, even though they should be compensated.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    That would be false advertising, but really, who the fuck needs 700HP in a country where you'll rarely travel much faster than 80 kph. I don't exactly feel sorry these people, even though they should be compensated.
    My thoughts as well.

I mean realistically 469HP puts it among the highest HP consumer vehicles in production. What the ever loving fuck would you do with 700HP?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    My thoughts as well.

I mean realistically 469HP puts it among the highest HP consumer vehicles in production. What the ever loving fuck would you do with 700HP?
    Compensation for certain personal inadequacies?

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    My thoughts as well.

Because they want it and that's what they paid for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Still, why lie about it?
    Right, I don't get why they did that.

Quote Originally Posted by spdr View Post
    Because they want it and that's what they paid for.
    I don't disagree. I'm just curious what the point is.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    It's not the 90s anymore - electric cars are now a proven product with subsequent consumer demand. I thought you liked the free market?

That being said, I find this whole situation kinda baffling: why would the marketing team risk a pr disaster in lying about the Tesla's specs when the car works just fine on its own merits?

I'm fairly certain they exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

My thoughts as well.

No, not really. There's quite a few cars pushing those kind of numbers.

In all practicality, the PD100 is a pig at nearly 5000lbs anyhow.

If the product wasn’t delivered as advertised the consumer should be compensated accordingly.

Cheers

My thoughts as well.

have some fun on the autobahn?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Why do false advertisement when your product is already a star is beyond me. Fire the ad team.
    One possible answer might include something along the lines of: " If not for the false advertising, the product would not seem such a star in the first place, and sales would plummet". Just saying.

For one of the only few purely electric car manufacturers currently, I got to ask... WHY LIE?

Considering this has happened twice now, their Marketing department should be completely sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'm fairly certain they exist.
    lol
    Last edited by Daedius; 2018-01-22 at 04:21 AM.

Deleted
    Noo... 400HP isn't enough to drive on legal roads. What do!?

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    For one of the only few purely electric car manufacturers currently, I got to ask... WHY LIE?

Considering this has happened twice now, their Marketing department should be completely sacked.
    Multiple possible reasons. It might be to show off fuel (charge) economy. To skew numbers on energy recuperation devices to make them seem more high tech and efficient (when in fact the vehicle itself is relatively underpowered). To cash in on the "top of the line" electric car market, when consumers are willing to pay extra just to be able to have something that is perceived "the best" of what is available. Might be to mislead the competition into trying to produce something similar (that is not going to fit in the same price tag and thus might be unprofitable). I really hope this situation kicks Tesla in the ass in a major way and has repercussions way beyond Norway. Maybe then large companies that cash in on the image would think twice before lying and misleading consumers (because this is becoming standard practice for some, cough... Apple... cough..., of them).

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    have some fun on the autobahn?
    The autobahn isn't in Norway.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post

lol
    Part of the problem (assuming they're not already taking this into account) is that horsepower for combustion motors isn't really calculated in the same fashion that it is for electrics.

https://evmc2.wordpress.com/2012/04/...-the-universe/

A gasoline motor has a peak torque value for a given RPM (3600). It’s easy to peg that as a HP rating – measured torque at a fixed RPM. An electric motor produces torque in response to load. You load it, the RPM drops, and it draws more current and produces more torque. It’s more of a moving target, so you have to rate it, rather than the actual horsepower it produces, the horsepower it can produce at a given load before it melts.

People tend to want to take a cursory glance at numbers like HP, and leap to assumptions (much like reading way too much into 0-60 times), and hp isn't all that relevant a stat for an electric motor.

I predict elon musk is going down, very soon.