Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Unending waves of quest mobs taking longer to die isn't fun

I'm a fan of many of the 7.3.5 leveling changes. Zone scaling is brilliant. Flexibility is great. The XP curve changes I have no problem with.

Mob health though? Ugh.

It's death by a thousand cuts because it takes a thousand cuts to cause death to anything. A thousand times.

Blizzard seem to have this weird idea that Fun™ can be quantified as smashing your head against low level mobs that might hit like a wet sponge, but... Just. Won't. Fucking. DIE.

You get your improvements by making it so players don't out-level quests and have an easier and more flexible leveling path. In terms of mobs there's no challenge or engagement. There's just time wasted. That's not fun.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Hyperbole does not make a strong argument.

You just come off as sounding extremely silly. I highly doubt anyone will take you seriously here.

Try the official forums. Tons of drones who can mindlessly upvote you.

Quote Originally Posted by Karzerus View Post
    Hyperbole does not make a strong argument.

You just come off as sounding extremely silly. I highly doubt anyone will take you seriously here.

Try the official forums. Tons of drones who can mindlessly upvote you.
    I came here to say this. But maybe I will be a little ruder:

Cut the crap already. This is bullshit hyperbole. Thanks.

My character is fucking 2-3 shotting mobs still. If anything, mobs still need a HP and damage buff IMHO.

Blizzard Entertainment Inc., putting the F U in fun since 2004

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's worse for the lower levels, even. You don't have that many different buttons to mash.
    Reading about these changes to leveling, I'm not really excited to play an allied race anymore. I actually liked spamming dungeons to level.

Blizzard makes leveling hard, then make it really easy, then they go back to making it hard. I don't understand the obsession with difficulty. Its not a question of difficulty really. Leveling needs to be more SOCIAL.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I agree that a health BUFF is needed. I don't know if it's the lower zones only, but it's almost like before on live.

I don't post a lot but I love to ghost read all the forum posts, this one... Not sure if it is trolling or what but I've just leveled a character all the way to Outlands and has had zero of this. It takes a little bit longer than one-shotting and sometimes I get to use my full rotation (on my monk) but to say that there's unending waves is ridiculous. The only area that has a lot of respawning mobs is Legion Invasions and that's because it is supposed to be an INVASION.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't really even care about mob health. Bringing back the risk of actually dying as a player would make it more engaging I think. Mobs still don't really post a threat while leveling.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am just happy that I don't one-shot everything. My current alt, a disc priest, takes about 4-5 hits to kill a mob. Feels like leveling is more part of the game than recently. Leveling hasn't had much identity after Cataclysm.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Blizzard makes leveling hard, then make it really easy, then they go back to making it hard. I don't understand the obsession with difficulty. Its not a question of difficulty really. Leveling needs to be more SOCIAL.
    To be fair, most aren't arguing it has been made hard at all, just tedious. Because the mobs still hit like paper towels.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I am just happy that I don't one-shot everything. My current alt, a disc priest, takes about 4-5 hits to kill a mob. Feels like leveling is more part of the game than recently. Leveling hasn't had much identity after Cataclysm.
    You could have experienced that anytime by not using heirlooms

Deleted
    That's true. If the mobs would have gotten some special abilities, like mobs on TI had, then the experience would at least have been more engaging. But as long as they stay the same, it's just more of 1212121212. So engaging...

- - - Updated - - -

Leveling is pointless in the current state of pruned abilities. Questing is meaningful, but you can do it anytime, also at max level. But gaining EXP is nothing more than extending the time you need to engage in some kind of endgame content, and gate access to some zones and dungeons/raids. When you get your basic aoe spell only at about half the levels needed for max level...

Edit: Pen&Paper RPGs usually don't have as many levels, and there you have at least some kind of feat or new ability at every level increase, like in D&D. WoW currently rewards you about every 10 levels with something new. They could just have divided the level amount by 5, then increasind in a level would feel meaningful again, because you could tie more abilities / talents to every increase then you do now.
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2018-01-23 at 08:28 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    I'm a fan of many of the 7.3.5 leveling changes. Zone scaling is brilliant. Flexibility is great. The XP curve changes I have no problem with.

Mob health though? Ugh.

It's death by a thousand cuts because it takes a thousand cuts to cause death to anything. A thousand times.

Blizzard seem to have this weird idea that Fun™ can be quantified as smashing your head against low level mobs that might hit like a wet sponge, but... Just. Won't. Fucking. DIE.

You get your improvements by making it so players don't out-level quests and have an easier and more flexible leveling path. In terms of mobs there's no challenge or engagement. There's just time wasted. That's not fun.
    What's the fun in one shotting everything? Leveling is meant to be an experience and an adventure.
    Also mob health isn't anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be, lol. I wish they buffed their damage by 50-100% though.

If all you care about is end game and want to rush to the that, buy a boost.

Part of the social aspect of leveling was overcoming difficulty together: Asking people how to complete that quest that was confusing you, asking people to help you with that group quest so you could get a cool item, asking players to explore this new dungeon you just found in the barrens. In certain ways, making leveling more social IS a question of difficulty, and a question of player convenience.

The increased mob health is a needed change, but it's only PART of the needed change. Without an increase in the difficulty of mobs, you won't be engaged in the level up experience, it'll just be tedious, as many in this thread have already pointed out.

Part of leveling is learning your class. Difficulty helps you learn your class.
    Last edited by Jakisuaki; 2018-01-23 at 08:32 AM.

Deleted
    Bla bla bla 7.3.5

Bla bla slower levelling

Bla bla me can't 1shot

Sifh

Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    Part of the social aspect of leveling was overcoming difficulty together: Asking people how to complete that quest that was confusing you, asking people to help you with that group quest so you could get a cool item, asking players to explore this new dungeon you just found in the barrens. In certain ways, making leveling more social IS a question of difficulty, and a question of player convenience.

The increased mob health is a needed change, but it's only PART of the needed change. Without an increase in the difficulty of mobs, you won't be engaged in the level up experience, it'll just be tedious, as many in this thread have already pointed out.

Part of leveling is learning your class. Difficulty helps you learn your class.
    Most of my social interactions outside dungeons in WoW during vanilla and BC were asking people for help with difficult mobs or quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    You could have experienced that anytime by not using heirlooms
    Not really, even without heirlooms they died in about 2 hits. Heck, now they've placed the heirlooms great, they are basically at, 'you want XP bonus, or more stats' kindda feel. Unsure if that is on purpose or mistake, but I don't mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    Leveling is pointless in the current state of pruned abilities. Questing is meaningful, but you can do it anytime, also at max level. But gaining EXP is nothing more than extending the time you need to engage in some kind of endgame content, and gate access to some zones and dungeons/raids. When you get your basic aoe spell only at about half the levels needed for max level...
    Leveling might seem pointless but it is a good majority of many RPG's. It is part of the journey, and finally it feels part of the game again after it felt like a complete joke for a few expansions.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Of all the thousands of posts on the subject, none of them come even close to this simple fact. Kokolums is spot on here. What made WoW popular was in great part it's sociability and communities. It's lost all that.

Leveling might seem pointless but it is a good majority of many RPG's. It is part of the journey, and finally it feels part of the game again after it felt like a complete joke for a few expansions.
    In majority of RPGs, you also grow stronger when you level up. With mobs increasing their power as you level up, gaining a level is pretty much useless. Especially with new spells being so few and so far apart. I'd really be interested to see some changes that would fix leveling being so disconnected from max level content