Thread: Oscars 2018

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    It's sci-fi, as far as the Oscars are concerned that means it's for kids and needs to make way for real movies talking about really dramatic things that happen in real life.
    Was Gravity not sci-fi? Or not sci-fi enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Was Gravity not sci-fi? Or not sci-fi enough?
    I wouldnt call gravity scifi, it was just an action/thriller set in space, but it didnt have any advanced technology or anything that would make it scifi.

but nonetheless, even star wars was nominated for best picture, so it's not because its scifi(I know it's technically not scifi either but you get my point), I guess the academy just hates blade runner
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2018-01-23 at 04:55 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I hope the shape of water wins every thing it can loved the movie and was thinking of buying it on DVD which I only do for movies I really love.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    I wouldnt call gravity scifi, it was just an action/thriller set in space, but it didnt have any advanced technology or anything that would make it scifi.

but nonetheless, even star wars was nominated for best picture, so it's not because its scifi(I know it's technically not scifi either but you get my point), I guess the academy just hates blade runner
    There was also The Martian in 2015 that got nominated a bunch. They really don't have anything against sci-fi in general. I think Blade Runner got left out because it didn't do well in the US and so it mostly got forgotten about.

Casey Afflec should have gotten a nom for Manchester by the Sea. I'm talking about his actor skills, not that the Afflec brothers are drunks and do stupid shit.

Can't say I enjoyed many of the movies that got nominated this year but Baby Driver should easily sweep it's categories and Get Out for directing possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post

Just a bunch of old white men who vote for what they like as opposed to what may actually be truly popular.
    Nice racism bro
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynhim View Post
    Casey Afflec should have gotten a nom for Manchester by the Sea.
    I'm not sure if this is a joke? He won last year for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynhim View Post
    Casey Afflec should have gotten a nom for Manchester by the Sea. I'm talking about his actor skills, not that the Afflec brothers are drunks and do stupid shit.
    I dont think he needs another one

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    They didn't even nominate LEGO Batman wtf
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalcheus View Post
    Are you calling Ryan Reynolds "naive"?

Bah, it didn't skip to the correct time in the embed. Go to 4:01
    Technically, that's Deadpool saying Jackman should get an Oscar nom...not Ryan Reynolds.

And, generally speaking, the Academy shouldn't use terrorist threats to decide who gets nominated.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    They didn't even nominate LEGO Batman wtf
    because the boss baby is an artistic masterpiece that requires an academy award nomination

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they should start nominating movies that people heard of and sold more than 25 tickets in the theaters (or even made it to theaters). The best movies are the ones that made the most money, not these garbage indie art house movies that put you to sleep when you watch them and make no sense

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Maybe they should start nominating movies that people heard of and sold more than 25 tickets in the theaters (or even made it to theaters). The best movies are the ones that made the most money, not these garbage indie art house movies that put you to sleep when you watch them and make no sense
    basically all but 2 of the main nominees were relatively big budget studio movies, what are you even talking about?

Do people really believe that nonsense? Also lol at calling these movies "arthouse".

Most people who whine about the Oscars have seen very few of the movies nominated, and have no idea whether their favorite movies should be nominated for, say, best editing or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Do people really believe that nonsense? Also lol at calling these movies "arthouse".
    Yes, they really do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    basically all but 2 of the main nominees were relatively big budget studio movies, what are you even talking about?
    Really? Dunkirk is the only one Ive heard of or even seen a trailer for. Where's the Best Picture nominations for Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Wonder Woman, Transformers The Last Knight, and Despicable Me 3?? You know, the top movies of 2017? If the garbage they nominated was any good, they would've made more money than these movies. Only good movies make lots of money, because millions of people do not pay money to see bad movies

Really? Dunkirk is the only one Ive heard of or even seen a trailer for. Where's the Best Picture nominations for Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Wonder Woman, Transformers The Last Knight, and Despicable Me 3?? You know, the top movies of 2017? If the garbage they nominated was any good, they would've made more money than these movies. Only good movies make lots of money, because millions of people do not pay money to see bad movies
    Clearly they do.

... Best sound editing: Baby Driver...? Really? That movie made me wish they'd stop playing music, even when said music was one of my favourite songs of all time, due to how cluttered and phoned it felt...

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    ... Best sound editing: Baby Driver...? Really? That movie made me wish they'd stop playing music, even when said music was one of my favourite songs of all time, due to how cluttered and phoned it felt...
    if only film wasnt a completely objective thing where every single aspect of every film clearly and obviously has the same effect on everyone.

for the record the sound editing in baby driver was fucking phenomenal imo, and not just the music (which isnt really part of sound editing)
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2018-01-23 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    What does winning an Oscar even mean (anymore)?

It's just about people within the business awarding others they like.
    Anymore? It has allways been like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Clearly they do.
    Pretty sure he's a troll