Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[Spoilers] G'huun... new Old God?

From Wowhead broadcast text

"PLACEHOLDER SCENE - Hezrel reveals G'huun being an old god, being experimented upon, and reveals blood trolls want to destroy Zuldazar in order to free G'huun. No way of fixing current containment, must protect Zuldazar. Ateena, blood troll matriarch, arrives, badly damages Hezrel, and prepares to strike."

Thoughts?

Well we knew from blizzcon that it was supposed to be old god experiments gone wrong.

I wonder if he is an old god or an Old God? :P As in, a god-like being from ancient time (this would be more in line with Chronicle and Blizzard calling him a failed experiment created by the Titans), or a being classified as an Old God? There is a text from the Goblin saying that "We're gonna blow your old god up, goblin style!", so I guess it's possible that he is an Old God, just that Blizzard forgot to capitalize the words. Still, that'd mean this is a retcon, unless they give us a very good explanation for the completely lack of any mention of his name in Chronicle during the Ordering of Azeroth.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2018-01-26 at 04:07 AM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Hezrel reveals G'huun being an old god" - An ingame character gazes upon the gigantic fleshy bloat of madness and evil, and calls it an Old God.

No problem with that. Blizzcon's info is still accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The story from BlizzCon to Alpha to Beta to Live is always subject to change - it's possible G'huun was an artificial Old God and is now a more or less natural Old God that was being experimented upon by the Pantheon or the Watchers. I don't think the "retcon" label can attach until the story goes Live and is then changed by a future event.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Well, if this new creature can do the same things the Old Gods can, when unleashed. Aka, spread corruption, drive people mad, and infest the planet, then it's akin to an Old God. I mean, it's more of a New God, as it doesn't predate the arrival of the Titans on our world. But for all intents and purposes, there is no reason why this creature could not grow out to be as powerful and threatening as the other Old Gods, that we know of.

So... Maybe? All we know is that the Titans studied Old God stuff in a lab. Ended up spawning something incredibly dangerous, and sealed it away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh. I figured Hakkar the Soulflayer was going to make his return. The blood trolls seemed very obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    The story from BlizzCon to Alpha to Beta to Live is always subject to change - it's possible G'huun was an artificial Old God and is now a more or less natural Old God that was being experimented upon by the Pantheon or the Watchers. I don't think the "retcon" label can attach until the story goes Live and is then changed by a future event.
    That's fair, point taken. I missed the possibility that he could be an artificial Old God created after the war with the Black Empire and was only thinking that, if Hezrel isn't wrong and nothing changes when it comes live, he could be one of the natural Old Gods who landed on Azeroth. Should have given it more thoughts I guess.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

The name is likely derived from Lovecraft's Gloon (aka Glhuun), however. Old God connection is there.

http://lovecraft.wikia.com/wiki/Gloon

(Note the "Also known as" section)

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Huh. I figured Hakkar the Soulflayer was going to make his return. The blood trolls seemed very obvious.
    Yeah. It would be the perfect time to bring him back. Hopefully they'll do something with him at some point in BfA.

The in-game book "The Old Gods and the ordering of Azeroth" does mention a fifth Old God, but of course that was seemingly retconned out subsequently and in the Chronicle, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JJShadoe View Post
    The in-game book "The Old Gods and the ordering of Azeroth" does mention a fifth Old God, but of course that was seemingly retconned out subsequently and in the Chronicle, etc.
    Chronicles didn't exactly retcon it out. Chronicles just never mentions a fifth one. It doesn't deny the possibility. It just only tells us about four.

And now it's time to throw Xal'atath into the roiling flesh, so she may be born again in truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Artificial Old God sounds more likely to me, not one the parasites that landed on Azeroth.

I mean, it's very possible that this is a newer old god that the Void Lords sent in and would be covered in the next Chronicle. Those books purposely seem to leave out particular bits of information to either coincide with upcoming WoW content, or to continue to leave things a bit of a mystery, such as Elune.

What if it's Xal'atath's Old God? Her name imo doesn't sound like a name for an old god, but she clearly hints that there was a 5th one and she was it or created from it. Could be the Trolls resurrecting it or the Watchers came across it's corpse.

It would seem that it is as much of an "Old God" as Iso'rath or Il'gynoth is. Overwhelming and powerful to behold, a raid boss - no less, but not nearly as ancient and truly to the level of the actual Old Gods.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    What if it's Xal'atath's Old God? Her name imo doesn't sound like a name for an old god, but she clearly hints that there was a 5th one and she was it or created from it. Could be the Trolls resurrecting it or the Watchers came across it's corpse.
    Well, Xal'atath is named similarly to Xal'atoh, Y'Shaarj's talking Gorehowl imitation. So it's definitely not the name of the true goddess from which she sprang.

Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    Well, Xal'atath is named similarly to Xal'atoh, Y'Shaarj's talking Gorehowl imitation. So it's definitely not the name of the true goddess from which she sprang.
    exactly what i was thinking. My guess is she's from N'zoth or the 5th old god, most likely the 5th one.

Spoiler warning?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

I wonder if it could be a nascent Old God.

He definitely looks like a sort of parasite, like an oversized maggot looking thing. What if this is what Old Gods look like when they crash-land on a planet, before they have a chance to burrow in?