Thread: Oscars 2018

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post

mad max won 6 out of 10

is that also oscar bait?:P

BP is what matters.
    Oscars dont work like that. You dont get them all. They are recognition more than anything. And sometimes the year you should have won gets delayed to a year when you shouldnt have won. Case in point leonardo dicaprio. Denzel washington.

Mad Max was a surprise it got nominated for anything let alone won awards. So of course they give the winner to some shitty film like spotlight for that year because mad max had already gotten its share

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    Nah the black man struggling to fit into his black neighborhood who is also gay won, I wonder why
    to be fair that was also a good movie.

I kinda hate how you cant make a movie about black people, gay people etc without people shouting oscar bait.

look at this year, we have a movie about racism and black people, a movie about gay love.

and what will win? a woman putting out billboards and burning down some stores.

to be fair that was also a good movie.

I kinda hate how you cant make a movie about black people, gay people etc without people shouting oscar bait.

look at this year, we have a movie about racism and black people, a movie about gay love.

and what will win? a woman putting out billboards and burning down some stores.
    You think three billboards is going to win? Nahh, I'd put money on darkest hour. Got the war themes and Gary Oldman is long overdue.

Theres nothing wrong with making films about gay black people, its just very noticeable that certain subject material gets more attention from "critics". You saw tropic thunder right? Never go full retard.

I think Blade Runner 2049 bombing in America hurts it a lot at the Oscars. It didn't really get talked a lot about or was around in the award shows leading up to the Oscar noms.

- - - Updated - - -

You think three billboards is going to win? Nahh, I'd put money on darkest hour. Got the war themes and Gary Oldman is long overdue.

Theres nothing wrong with making films about gay black people, its just very noticeable that certain subject material gets more attention from "critics". You saw tropic thunder right? Never go full retard.
    Darkest Hour winning Best Picture seems like a random choice. I have a hard time seeing an argument for why anybody but The Shape of Water, Three Billboards or Dunkirk would win.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post

Darkest Hour winning Best Picture seems like a random choice. I have a hard time seeing an argument for why anybody but The Shape of Water, Three Billboards or Dunkirk would win.
    Random choice doesnt mean much in Oscar lingo. If spotlight can win then so can darkest hour. Shape of water could win too. Doubt Dunkirk will. Chris Nolan is too mainstream now

the academy arent critics, they're people of the industry, they're the polar opposite of critics. if you want critic opinions, watch the critics choice awards.

and no the darkest hour has almost zero chance of winning. it's probably gonna win the baftas though.

billboards is gathering momentum with SAG and golden globes.

shape of water is too fantasy to win(altough i'd be glad if it did)
    dunkirk is not "messagy" enough
    darkest hour has no US momentum
    lady bird, call me by your name, get out are way too small movies
    phantom thread is too obscure

that leaves three billboards and the post

both have a female lead so that's a big plus in the current political climate.

I guess the post has a big chance too, But as I said, three billboards has bigger awards momentum.

the post will win literally no other awards, so it cant win by default.

three billboards is winning screenplay(big plus) and gets 1-2 acting wins. that's all you need. just like moonlight.
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2018-01-27 at 07:24 PM.

Random choice doesnt mean much in Oscar lingo. If spotlight can win then so can darkest hour. Shape of water could win too. Doubt Dunkirk will. Chris Nolan is too mainstream now
    Spotlight winning wasn't overly surprising, it only became a bit surprising because The Revenant started looking strong when it won Best Director and Spotlight "only" had a Screenplay win. It was the one I guessed would win that year, and it been the popular guess for a long time.

the academy arent critics, they're people of the industry, they're the polar opposite of critics. if you want critic opinions, watch the critics choice awards.

and no the darkest hour has almost zero chance of winning. it's probably gonna win the baftas though.

billboards is gathering momentum with SAG and golden globes.

shape of water is too fantasy to win(altough i'd be glad if it did)
    dunkirk is not "messagy" enough
    darkest hour has no US momentum
    lady bird, call me by your name, get out are way too small movies
    phantom thread is too obscure

so that leaves The post and Three billboards.
    and since it went to a newspaper two years ago, I dont think it will again.

so that leaves three billboards
    Thats why I put bunny ears around it. Their opinion doesnt mean shit really, and I find it interesting how people can judge art as better or worse than others when the intended effect is completely different for each film.

Billboards could defiantly win, I think its between those two billboards and darkest hour

Is Bladerunner 2049 any good? Who has seen it?

Spotlight winning wasn't overly surprising, it only became a bit surprising because The Revenant started looking strong when it won Best Director and Spotlight "only" had a Screenplay win. It was the one I guessed would win that year, and it been the popular guess for a long time.
    How many times have you rewatched spotlight? Its a one and done film. Revenant you could watch again for years to come.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Its incredibly good if you dont have a 2k18 super needy attention span that gets bored after 1sec

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    If you scroll through the thread everyone is bitching why it wasn't included and that it should win.

Best movie of the last 4 years (since "The Great Beauty"), hands down.

Thats why I put bunny ears around it. Their opinion doesnt mean shit really, and I find it interesting how people can judge art as better or worse than others when the intended effect is completely different for each film.

Billboards could defiantly win, I think its between those two billboards and darkest hour
    of course it doesnt mean shit, when has it ever

they get like what, one movie right every 10 years.

the last time they actually made the right movie win was 2004 with return of the king.
    so yeah.

all they're good for is giving me a list of movies I might find interesting. at the end of each year, if I havent yet.

and the technical awards usually go for the most deserving one(keyword usually) but the big awards just go to whoever they like the most and/or campaigned the most.

the only value the oscars have, is the fun I have predicting what they'll choose.

but to be fair, they surprised me for like 3 years straight.

I predicted La la land would win, it went to moonlight
    i predicted revenant it went to spotlight
    i predicted boyhood, it went to birdman
    12 years a slave was way too easy to predict tho :P
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2018-01-27 at 07:33 PM.

of course it doesnt mean shit, when has it ever

they get like waht, one movie right every 10 years.

the last time they actually made the right movie win was 2004 with return of the king.
    so yeah.

all they're good for is giving me a list of movies I might find interesting. at the end of each year, if I havent yet.
    Yeah pretty much the same here. Sometimes they pull up films you havent heard of so can be an option to find new films

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you guys are shit at picking films to see?

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    lol wtf....

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I only regretted watching one movie this year and that was dunkirk

so I'm better than you think :P

Ive seen most english speaking films so unless I start digging into bollywoods treasure trove im pretty much sorted

The Oscars are pretty meh now..
    To much Political dribble has ruined the Movie industry.

I would rather watch the AVN awards which is on this week.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rel...9f3a6787c0e4d7

At the Oscars, it’s all about a performance in one film; at the AVNs, it’s about the body of work.

“I am looking for someone who brings their best to every scene, no matter whether they are exclusive to one company or shoot with a number of producers,” Shaulis says.

“For ‘Best New Starlet,’ I look for someone who is turning in notable performances, as well as getting buzz for their talent.”

I would rather attend the AVN awards after party . Would be better than the Oscar after party.

How many times have you rewatched spotlight? Its a one and done film. Revenant you could watch again for years to come.
    Rewatchability doesn't matter much to me, but I have in fact seen Spotlight more times than The Revenant.

Rewatchability doesn't matter much to me, but I have in fact seen Spotlight more times than The Revenant.
    must be exciting to watch shot reverse shots for 2 hours with zero visual flair or dramatic rhytm :P