Deleted

Fitness and social media company Strava releases activity heat map....

Strava is a website and mobile app used to track athletic activity via satellite navigation.

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#3.0....00835/hot/all

An interesting side effect is that you can locate military bases and patrol routes by zooming in.

https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/s...17886112124928

You can also work out things like sensitive weapon sites :

https://twitter.com/LostWeapons/stat...42822377472000

So can anyone find anything cool cross referencing with google maps?

10+ Year Old Account
    I found my house!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I found my house!
    stop running round it in circles.

I found the two trails I mountain bike all the time. Just did 2 laps at Rosaryville state park today, it's lit up like a Christmas tree.

I think people should just accept that there's about a hundred ways to see things like military bases with publicly available data...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Isn't fitness alienation of life itself? Like if you need that term... it's useless already?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am going to Area 51 brb!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    If this kind of info about the military bases' locations is an intelligence issue, maybe the armed forces should slap the stupid-ass soldiers wearing fitness tracking items and uploading that data about their activity on-base?

If you're gonna argue that's a problem, it's a problem of stupid soldiers doing stupid shit, not a problem with the service.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If this kind of info about the military bases' locations is an intelligence issue, maybe the armed forces should slap the stupid-ass soldiers wearing fitness tracking items and uploading that data about their activity on-base?

If you're gonna argue that's a problem, it's a problem of stupid soldiers doing stupid shit, not a problem with the service.
    It's a really stupid move by the soldiers. That said, the military distributed 2500 of them in a pilot program in 2013 to the soldiers so they should really have some protocols for this sort of thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    It's a really stupid move by the soldiers. That said, the military distributed 2500 of them in a pilot program in 2013 to the soldiers so they should really have some protocols for this sort of thing.
    I'm just saying, it's the equivalent of giving troops smartphones and then acting shocked when social media sites contain messages showing pictures taken within sensitive bases. You gave them the equipment and didn't train them in how to not be stupid shits with it. That's on you, not the social media sites.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I found my house!
    Oddly enough, this is the first thing I found too(my house tho).
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

15+ Year Old Account
    This is priceless and should be spread.

Deleted
    Checked my usual cycling route, found few possible detours. Seems that few roads that I thought were dead ends aren't actually dead ends for runners and cyclists.

Very useful map.

I wish it was more accurate though. It shows way too much activity on roads and on water, in different ports. So that's people with app driving and using ferries. On some roads that I know for sure cyclists avoid it shows massive activity, so that's probably people driving from/to running/cycling locations. Noise/data ratio is way too high.