Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

I can't "get into" the Alliance

I want to have a 110 Alliance character to do their side of the BFA questing story (since, for once, it looks like it will be a genuinely different and cool experience.) Problem is I can't get myself interested in anything Alliance-side, not just gameplay wise but from an RP perspective. I'd really like to but my list of gripes is preventing me from getting hyped. Can an enthusiastic member of the Alliance motivate me to give team blue a try?

Just for reference, I have played (and roleplayed): an orc warlock, an undead warrior, a blood elf rogue, a goblin shaman and soon a nightborne mage.

• Humans are clearly the front and center race of Warcraft alongside orcs. They have an immense presence in just about everything and have a dense, rich lore. My problems with them are multi-pronged: everybody plays one, every lore character is one, every part of the story concerns them somehow and I suspect everyone has a stigma for "those normies who roll human." It's hard to get excited over white bread with nothing on it.
    • Dwarves and gnomes are cool, but they have this thing where they feel like sidekicks to the humans. Very few people seem to roll them or take them seriously. Armor is also very compact and (from what I've seen) simply doesn't fit their build, essentially giving you half a transmog. I would give dark irons a try but I won't be able to play one for a very long time.
    • Night elves feel superfluous since I have a nightborne. Worgen feel like humans but with really dated player models (ones I don't even like, since even the vanilla versions look more "vicious" and natural than the playable ones we received.) And draenei have the worst lore I've ever seen, to put it lightly.
    • Obviously I have no way of playing any allied races (not that I like any of them, except maybe dark irons.)

They are too stereotypical "good guys" in a "good ole boys club" for me. I can't get into them either.

Quote Originally Posted by hachidori View Post
    I want to have a 110 Alliance character to do their side of the BFA questing story (since, for once, it looks like it will be a genuinely different and cool experience.) Problem is I can't get myself interested in anything Alliance-side, not just gameplay wise but from an RP perspective. I'd really like to but my list of gripes is preventing me from getting hyped. Can an enthusiastic member of the Alliance motivate me to give team blue a try?

Just for reference, I have played (and roleplayed): an orc warlock, an undead warrior, a blood elf rogue, a goblin shaman and soon a nightborne mage.

• Humans are clearly the front and center race of Warcraft alongside orcs. They have an immense presence in just about everything and have a dense, rich lore. My problems with them are multi-pronged: everybody plays one, every lore character is one, every part of the story concerns them somehow and I suspect everyone has a stigma for "those normies who roll human." It's hard to get excited over white bread with nothing on it.
    • Dwarves and gnomes are cool, but they have this thing where they feel like sidekicks to the humans. Very few people seem to roll them or take them seriously. Armor is also very compact and (from what I've seen) simply doesn't fit their build, essentially giving you half a transmog. I would give dark irons a try but I won't be able to play one for a very long time.
    • Night elves feel superfluous since I have a nightborne. Worgen feel like humans but with really dated player models (ones I don't even like, since even the vanilla versions look more "vicious" and natural than the playable ones we received.) And draenei have the worst lore I've ever seen, to put it lightly.
    • Obviously I have no way of playing any allied races (not that I like any of them, except maybe dark irons.)
    You should play a Worgen, Graymanes beef is gonna be a big deal I think in BFA so you probably won't feel like a sidekick if your boss is so involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Brocksley View Post
    They are too stereotypical "good guys" in a "good ole boys club" for me. I can't get into them either.
    The BFA cinematic was a great start to giving them actual character. But it didn't fix any lingering concerns.

Human prince gives a speech to a crowd that is majority human, with his grizzled human mentor onlooking, only for a human spymaster to interrupt and give the human prince distressing news. Then the human organization of spies from the human kingdom investigates on behalf of the human prince, all to protect the interests of the faction bearing a human flag.

What makes Draenei lore so bad? Their lore reaches as far back as almost Sargeras himself. So much of what has happened in the game has some connection to the Eredar.

Quote Originally Posted by Amunrasonther View Post
    What makes Draenei lore so bad? Their lore reaches as far back as almost Sargeras himself. So much of what has happened in the game has some connection to the Eredar.
    Infinite retcons. I know it's a platitude but their backstory has been "adjusted" or outright rewritten so many times that caring about them feels like a terrible, shaky investment.

Infinite retcons. I know it's a platitude but their backstory has been "adjusted" or outright rewritten so many times that caring about them feels like a terrible, shaky investment.
    What else besides the "Who corrupted who" has been rewritten? Something tells me you're exaggerating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Infinite retcons? You mean the first one that they werent the demons that corrupted Sargeras? Cuz thats the only retcon they have.
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

Quote Originally Posted by Amunrasonther View Post
    What else besides the "Who corrupted who" has been rewritten? Something tells me you're exaggerating.
    Originally "draenei" referred solely to ugly bog monsters (later retconned into Broken, who were retcon-retconned into being vaguely related.) The draenei were then retconned into being related to eredar, who were a powerful sort of demon, until it was retconned that draenei should be the good guy "original" eredar. The eredar then replaced nathrezim as the beings responsible for corrupting Sargeras, but that retcon as well was retconned as Sargeras was always mad and corrupted other beings (such as eredar; it was retconned eredar were bad guy draenei, and draenei were not just good guy eredar.) The orc homeworld was also retconned into being the draenei homeworld, until that was retconned so the draenei were merely space visitors (it has been retconned draenei have space ships by the way) who settled there. I'm not even getting into Lightforged.

I don't know what bugs me the most, if its OPs complete lack of understanding about the lore or OP himself being a spoiled kid talking about things he doesn't understand as if he holds any actual ground on his arguments

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Roll a pandaren female.

The BFA cinematic was a great start to giving them actual character.
    I main a gnome but every BfA cinematic so far has made me want to faction change more. I can't stand Anduin.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuba View Post
    I don't know what bugs me the most, if its OPs complete lack of understanding about the lore or OP himself being a spoiled kid talking about things he doesn't understand as if he holds any actual ground on his arguments
    Ohh shut the fuck up moron.. People like YOU are the reason why wow is filled with toxic ass people -.-

Pathetic dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    Ohh shut the fuck up moron.. People like YOU are the reason why wow is filled with toxic ass people -.-

Pathetic dumbass!
    yeah boy with that kind of feedback you fit very well in that "toxic" group of folks. wp
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

Deleted
    I don't know what bugs me most, if it's this asshole being a utter moron towards a perfectly reasonable thread or the fact his mummy still tucks him into bed at night being a 37 year old man.

I had the same issue with the Horde. None of their races interested me. I got over it by playing with a friend, which gave me something to focus on instead of RP/Immersion, since that wasn't enjoyable or an extension of my real life character.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Deleted
    >complains about dwarves and gnomes not being treated seriously
    >plays goblin

What argument? I'm explaining why I'm not enthusiastic to try Alliance, even when I'd prefer to be.

I feel exactly the same way about the Horde. They ravage everything they touch (i.e. the Vale and Theramore).

With the exception of Silvermoon, their cities seem dirty and primitive. And with the exception of the bloodelves, the characters are ugly and not something I want to look at everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Brocksley View Post
    While they may be the "good guys" they're not above being pricks.