Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotto Pantsu View Post
    What is this? Not long ago I learned from the current year fembots that the headscarf empowers women, but getting imprisoned is empowering? Must be a dungeon fetish.
    Allowed to wear them, fine, forced to wear them, terrible. There is a grey area in the "religious attire" argument, it isn't an inherently evil piece of clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotto Pantsu View Post
    What is this? Not long ago I learned from the current year fembots that the headscarf empowers women, but getting imprisoned is empowering? Must be a dungeon fetish.
    It's because people are not stupid and realize that the sudden sympathy for women (that would be called in the Deep South ''FEMINAZIS'' with open calls for violence) come from people itching for yet another regime change.

(While the West world was itching for regime changing a Shah that was pretty liberal and open-minded but had godless commie ideas about oil allocation...)

Well why force clothing on anyone for any reason. No shirts / pants for everyone, we love nudists!

Government's should not be in the business of telling people what to wear. Screw the Iranian government for this, they are fucking clown shoes.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't get this. I know Iranian women in Iran who don't wear headscarf (outside).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Their leadership does not care about that. They want oppressive laws they have to be even more widespread.
    Wasn't it the US "helping it grow into something better" that at least partially led to the revolution in the first place? I could be way off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Allowed to wear them, fine, forced to wear them, terrible. There is a grey area in the "religious attire" argument, it isn't an inherently evil piece of clothing.
    The problem with that is even if the law isn't forcing them, are there other forces (such as family) that make them feel forced? That's where the idea that banning it is liberating comes from. It's such a mess.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

@ sarahtasher
    just wow, i cant believe the venom you spew. and the level of deprivation. i truly pity you.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Our women complain about trivial crap in comparison, they should cut us a break until the rest of the world catches up.
    Why open with a logical fallacy. Just because they're correlated does not mean one is trivial to the other in comparison. Consider they're a world apart with a different lifestyle and the host of issues accompanying that. If asked, people are quick to point out something that annoys them because that's how we improve things in our pursuit of perfection. We all have different ideals and qualities we value that shape our view of the world and it molds us too, along with each other.

OT. All power to them. Certainly hope tolerance and acceptance of each other grows from this.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnanator View Post
    @ sarahtasher
    just wow, i cant believe the venom you spew. and the level of deprivation. i truly pity you.
    What is venomous in saying that if you hate so much the Mollahs, maybe you should not have played ''regime change'' against the Shah first then played ''regime change'' against the Mollahs with Iraq ?

(The first regime change game led the Mollahs to power, the second regime change killed hundred of thousands of Iraqis and Iranians and just reinforced the Mollahs. I have the bizarre idea that the third iteration is not going to work much better)

And by "love my hijab," they mean "please don't make me disappear."
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

10+ Year Old Account
    The Middle East will be a very different place in the next 5 years or so. The Moderates are young people who want to bring their countries into the modern world. In Saudi Arabia and Iran the population is choosing to modernize themselves. Yet it is the religious leaders that are trying to hold them back. In a country like Saudi Arabia the religion has to tow the line of what the King wants. Which should be his son in the upcoming years. Who is making sweeping cultural reforms. In Iran it might take a bit more fighting to get it done. The Supreme Leader won't give up power easily. He is horribly outdated compared to what his country wants.

It'll be telling when Turkey is an absolute dictatorship and the Saudis and Iranians look like beacons of hope for the region.

For those who is pertains to. Both Saudi Arabia and Iran want to move to a more moderate state like Azerbaijan. Where they would be now if not for the 1979 Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    Wasn't it the US "helping it grow into something better" that at least partially led to the revolution in the first place? I could be way off.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with that is even if the law isn't forcing them, are there other forces (such as family) that make them feel forced? That's where the idea that banning it is liberating comes from. It's such a mess.
    I get where that is coming from, the religious angle that hose women aren't really making a true choice even if they say it upfront is a good argument, but I'm completely against banning the use of clothing if someone claims it is their choice.

It starts going down a road of banning a lot of things. Best bet is to never have laws that force the use of clothing such as a headscarf and don't be a dick to those that claim they choose to wear it by their own volition.

Inb4 someone strawmans this into a "why aren't nudists allowed" argument. owait rofl.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    As North Korea, I'm sorry to say that ''getting nuclear weapons'' strike me as a perfectly rational and logical strategic goal. If Iranians are persuaded that the United States are going to overthrow them by proxies or directly and that they are not trustworthy partners, why they would not get nuclear weapons ?

(Hint : saying that North Korea and Iran want weapons for rational goals does not means that it's ''okay'' for them to do so. They operate however under the fairly grounded assumption that a few dozen nukes are enough to make them ''unfreedomizable'')
    Not when it is a country as despicable for human rights as NK and Iran are. Truman is the primary one to blame for NK however. Apart from using nuclear strikes, he should have let MacArthur win that war. He would have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post

- - - Updated - - -
    That is a good point and a example of not how to help a nation by providing support for a dictatorship. This case now however, is not the same situation and I am certainly not saying we should get involved militarily.

Not when it is a country as despicable for human rights as NK and Iran are. Truman is the primary one to blame for NK however. Apart from using nuclear strikes, he should have let MacArthur win that war. He would have.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a good point and a example of not how to help a nation by providing support for a dictatorship. This case now however, is not the same situation and I am certainly not saying we should get involved militarily.
    Again, that's like Vietnam. He was not winning the war.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    I get where that is coming from, the religious angle that hose women aren't really making a true choice even if they say it upfront is a good argument, but I'm completely against banning the use of clothing if someone claims it is their choice.

It starts going down a road of banning a lot of things. Best bet is to never have laws that force the use of clothing such as a headscarf and don't be a dick to those that claim they choose to wear it by their own volition.

Inb4 someone strawmans this into a "why aren't nudists allowed" argument. owait rofl.
    Oh I agree, I'm just saying there is validity behind the idea if not the practice

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I was mostly asking for clarity not as an argument against supporting Iran in becoming more "westernized" by their own choices and actions and desires. It is kind of fascinating though!
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

It's good to see these women are ready to break the law peacefully to protest this. It sends a powerful message.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Again, that's like Vietnam. He was not winning the war.
    He was. He was ordered not to cross a certain point. He wanted to cross over into China and cut off the supply lines for the NK's. I know he wanted to do that with nukes and that was only his opinion of ending it quickly because he had limited number of other means to do so. Not saying I agree with that option however. He was purposely told to fight a defensive war. Which led to him denouncing the President's war policy and thus his firing.

I wonder how well those women are treated once arrested.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

He was. He was ordered not to cross a certain point. He wanted to cross over into China and cut off the supply lines for the NK's. I know he wanted to do that with nukes and that was only his opinion of ending it quickly because he had limited number of other means to do so. Not saying I agree with that option however. He was purposely told to fight a defensive war. Which led to him denouncing the President's war policy and thus his firing.
    Dude, if the military is not able to handle North Korea/the Viet Cong, how exactly adding ennemies is going to make the matter more tractable ?

Invading China was getting the entire Chinese military on the UN back and risked direct Soviet intervention

7+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile, in the US women are wearing vaginas to show how oppressed they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    I wonder how well those women are treated once arrested.
    If you are arrested for not wearing a piece of clothing, how do you think they are treated?