Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Heirlooms now required for leveling?

I have to ask other people's experience now.

First i'll state that I do like the level scaling so this is not QQ about that. It is also not intended as any sort of QQ. It is simply me telling about my experience regarding questing now and what other people encountered.

I have been leveling a void elf alt. At roughly somewhere a bit past 30lvl I noticed I could not go to next zone after I completed all quests in lower minimum level zone. I did an extra zone elsewhere and was barely able to go that next zone I first intended to go to. I do not use heirlooms, but at that point, I had realized there is not enough xp available in the zones without them. I equiped them and continued leveling and with them I was barely able to continue to next zone without having to do another zone(s) elsewhere.

So with full heirlooms I barely got to next zone. This makes me think either XP from questing is scaled too low OR it is intended that we wear heirlooms.

Ok so... to continue. After 40lvl, it seems all zones that used to be 40lvl or above before scaling are now 40-60 in vanilla zones. I could drop all my heirlooms by now, but I dont think I would get 58lvl so i could go to outland without having to run around completing other zones, if I did drop my heirlooms.

There is also a problem why I decided to make this thread. If quest XP is still too low from tbc content onwards, there may simply not be enough zones and quests to complete if I dont wear heirlooms. Which is why I ask other people's experience to ask, if this is the case?

If you used heirlooms after vanilla zones, did you barely get enough xp to complete quests or did you do less, same amount or more zones that you did before scaling.
    Mostly I'd be interested hearing from people who leveled WITHOUT heirlooms and tell of their experience.

idk i always use them since i have them more for the fact i can just equip and enchant and ignore.
    I can't wait to watch your ego bleed
    Your pain will set me free

Stitched Up Heart

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean "barely got to next zone" ? Vanilla zones scale freely between 20-60, you cant be too low level to go to another zone ...

EDIT: Ok, i actually did not realise that zones still have a minimum level. But still, there should be plenty of zones to go around, i suppose without any exp bonus you have to do both continents like in the good old days.
    Last edited by TripleZero; 2018-02-03 at 05:12 AM.

I haven't leveled a new toon since the change, but are you telling me you can't get enough XP to go from 40-60 in 13 zones? Because that's how many scale from 40-60, and that doesn't even count the zones you didn't finish before then that also go up to 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    So with full heirlooms I barely got to next zone.
    You seem to be either trolling, or plain clueless.

You shouldn't be running out of zones to level in without heirlooms. With heirlooms, it's feasible (depending upon how many quests are in a zone and maybe doing dungeons occasionally) to go from 20 to 60 in just a few zones. I leveled a fresh shaman from 1 to 110 under the new system, and I made it from 1 to 60 questing outside IF -> Loch Modan -> Wetlands -> Arathi Highlands -> Swamp of Sorrows -> part of Blasted Lands. If you take the heirlooms off, you probably would need to do another zone at most. Point is, I still could've quested in E/W Plaguelands, Hinterlands, Westfall, Duskwood, N/S Stranglethorn, Burning Steppes, Badlands... and that's just Eastern Kingdoms. The only zones that don't scale all the way to 60 in vanilla content are the starting zones, everything else will go 20-60.

If u have the looms y not use them? There r always things u can be doing better that I'm sure a lot of players forget about since they have been staying in town and queuing dungeons.

Always logging out in an inn to get rested exp. it wouldn't surprised me if some players forget about this since they arnt used to going out in the world. Effectively using ur hearthstone to limit travel time will be a major player now that questing is a thing.

Killing extra mobs instead of just doing the bare minimum for the quest will add up and help u gain enough lvls for higher areas.

Mining and herb gives exp, and this will help make gold for those newer or poorer players.

There r plenty of areas to go to as well with the new scaling, so even if u can't gain access to the next area there r still plenty of places to go. And dungeons don't give bad exp as long as u haven't done the quests for them yet.

I have been leveling a void elf alt. At roughly somewhere a bit past 30lvl I noticed I could not go to next zone after I completed all quests in lower minimum level zone. I did an extra zone elsewhere and was barely able to go that next zone I first intended to go to.
    It would help if you named the zones involved. At level 30, the message boards should be showing you some combination of:

level 25-60 -
    Arathi Highlands
    Northern Stranglethorn
    Wetlands

level 30-60 -
    Cape of Stranglethorn
    Hinterlands

And of course even though they wouldn't likely be on the message boards anymore, nothing would stop you from doing any of the 20-60 zones, either. It's hard to make sense of your description in light of how the game is actually working now.

Quote Originally Posted by upirlikhyi View Post
    idk i always use them since i have them more for the fact i can just equip and enchant and ignore.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombria View Post
    It would help if you named the zones involved. At level 30, the message boards should be showing you some combination of:

level 25-60 -
    Arathi Highlands
    Northern Stranglethorn
    Wetlands

level 30-60 -
    Cape of Stranglethorn
    Hinterlands

And of course even though they wouldn't likely be on the message boards anymore, nothing would stop you from doing any of the 20-60 zones, either. It's hard to make sense of your description in light of how the game is actually working now.

Me too.
    i just did hinterlands on my low level rogue and i forgot how much i actually liked that zone although I miss the section of elite trolls lol

Stitched Up Heart

If you require heirlooms to progress in leveling, even after 7.3.5, you either suffer from a severe case of attention span deficiency or plainly suck.

In either case, don't bother rolling on Classic. Today is nothing compared to that.
    Last edited by Dergiab; 2018-02-03 at 06:10 AM.

To clarify. What I mean to complete zone and go to next should be something like this. I'll use my current character as example.

I started the void elf and went to wetlands first. This is a 20-60lvl zone. I dont know what I thought when I chose that way, but afterwards I went to southern barrens because I didnt like arathi highlands (at this point I was not using heirlooms).
    Southern barrens should be 25-60lvl zone. 5lvl higher at minimum. It is still "normal level progression" that next zone is 5lvl higher.
    After Southern barrens I went to hinterlands which is 30-60lvl zone. At the end of arathi highlands I was at lvl33 and about 50% done with it. The next zone should have been wpl, but at this point I found out that it was 35-60lvl zone and I could not pick up quests from there.

Then I did indeed go back to arathi highlands because I didnt want to travel far. I had already gone around the world with my barrens trip.
    Once Arathi was done, I was just past 35lvl and could start wpl. I was worried I'd have to do traveling again to level in some other zone once I was done with wpl so i equiped heirlooms (45% increased xp). At the end of wpl, I was just past 40lvl and could go to epl.

From here on the zones seem to be all 40-60lvl so technically I would not need to wear heirlooms at all, but with heirlooms I seem to be gaining levels roughly the same rate as before scaling. I continued past epl -> badlands -> searing gorge -> burning steppes -> swamp of sorrows and I'm hoping to be 58lvl at end of blasted lands. This is one of the usual leveling paths from before scaling. With heirlooms i'm reaching the neccessary levels per zone, but if I had 45% less xp, I would be FAAAR behind.
    Sure I could go travel around, but problem lies in tbc contend and onwards. There are less zones to go to. My very rough estimate is that I have to do one extra zone every two zones ASSUMING the xp is still low, which is exactly why i'm posting here. Is it still low? If my memory serves me correct, to level trough outland I need to do roughly 4.5 zones without heirlooms before scaling. If xp is now lower, without heirlooms I'd need to do ~6.75 zones, if we go with that for every two zones I need to do one extra zone, it comes very close to not being enough. There are 7 zones in outland.

Now I'm assuming lots of things here and pulling very rough estimates, but I dont know how it scales these days. Which is why I ask. Not complaining, but asking so I can prepare for it.

So how is it? Anyone else noticed they need to do more zones with heirlooms/without heirlooms?

Quote Originally Posted by Dergiab View Post
    If you require heirlooms to progress in leveling, even after 7.3.5, you either suffer from a severe case of attention span deficiency or plainly suck.

In either case, don't bother rolling on Classic. Today is nothing compared to that.
    I use them because I can. I rather enjoy not changing gear and I can enchant them and forget them. Nobody said they were required other then the OP asking about them

Stitched Up Heart

you do realize that there are like 2-3 zones for each 5-10 levels right? even not taking the scaling into account you should be able to level to 60 without visiting half of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    i was only in ashenvale and when i had half the quest-achivement i gained like 20levels and in howling fjord i leveld from 60 to 79, not sure what you on about
    Last edited by Nnyco; 2018-02-03 at 06:35 AM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I dont think people even understand what I'm asking. That or they dont read what I write.

I'm not saying its not possible in vanilla zones to progress. I did write that I could always go back and do some random zones elsewhere, if normal path isnt enough.

What I'm saying that without heirlooms I'm doing about 50% more zones than before the scaling changes. With heirlooms it gets to usual amount.

So I'm asking if that is only in vanilla zones or is the xp still low in future too or do I need to compensate for the low xp with heirlooms.

I dont do dungeons. I dont want to que to them and spend time with random people. Questin was always enough before.
    I would like to play with "normal" power level, but heirlooms tend to have more stats than quest loot so i'd rather not wear them.

Now I'm assuming lots of things here and pulling very rough estimates, but I dont know how it scales these days. Which is why I ask. Not complaining, but asking so I can prepare for it.

So how is it? Anyone else noticed they need to do more zones with heirlooms/without heirlooms?
    I haven't yet leveled a character without using heirlooms. However, I think that without the bonus experience from them you might be hard pressed to progress through each zone naturally(without jumping to a different "lower level" zone to catch up) without making sure that you absolutely complete every single quest in the previous zone. That potentially also includes any associated dungeons.

But keep in mind here that your Allied Race starts at level 20. So a lot probably REALLY depends on where you started questing. For Horde you'd want to begin in either Northern Barrens, Silverpine, Ghostlands, or Azshara. For Alliance I'd assume Loch Modan, Westfall, Bloodmyst Isle, Darkshore, or Redridge.

All of these zones have starting levels of 10 or 15, but scale up to 60. If you're not able to stay ahead of the minimum level to enter each progressive zone, then you're either missing a LOT of quests, or you've skipped ahead. Which means you'll either have to swap zones to one of the other "lower level" areas, or farm some dungeons to catch up.

Honestly, with scaling and the way zone-stories are laid out, you shouldn't feel at all like you can't go back to one of the other lower level zones. After all, if you're not using heirlooms, I'm assuming you're in it for the story anyway. So this should be a good solution for you.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to play with "normal" power level, but heirlooms tend to have more stats than quest loot so i'd rather not wear them.
    This is objectively false. Under the new scaling, quest items will drop equipment with almost no difference in stats from the heirlooms(maybe 1% less). The only real difference is the bonus experience.

I dont think people even understand what I'm asking. That or they dont read what I write.

I'm not saying its not possible in vanilla zones to progress. I did write that I could always go back and do some random zones elsewhere, if normal path isnt enough.

What I'm saying that without heirlooms I'm doing about 50% more zones than before the scaling changes. With heirlooms it gets to usual amount.

So I'm asking if that is only in vanilla zones or is the xp still low in future too or do I need to compensate for the low xp with heirlooms.

I dont do dungeons. I dont want to que to them and spend time with random people. Questin was always enough before.

honestly its up to you if you wear them or not. If you dont want to wear them dont

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I haven't yet leveled a character without using heirlooms. However, I think that without the bonus experience from them you might be hard pressed to progress through each zone naturally(without jumping to a different "lower level" zone to catch up) without making sure that you absolutely complete every single quest in the previous zone. That potentially also includes any associated dungeons.

But keep in mind here that your Allied Race starts at level 20. So a lot probably REALLY depends on where you started questing. For Horde you'd want to begin in either Northern Barrens, Silverpine, Ghostlands, or Azshara. For Alliance I'd assume Loch Modan, Westfall, Bloodmyst Isle, Darkshore, or Redridge.

All of these zones have starting levels of 10 or 15, but scale up to 60. If you're not able to stay ahead of the minimum level to enter each progressive zone, then you're either missing a LOT of quests, or you've skipped ahead. Which means you'll either have to swap zones to one of the other "lower level" areas, or farm some dungeons to catch up.

Honestly, with scaling and the way zone-stories are laid out, you shouldn't feel at all like you can't go back to one of the other lower level zones. After all, if you're not using heirlooms, I'm assuming you're in it for the story anyway. So this should be a good solution for you.

- - - Updated - - -

This is objectively false. Under the new scaling, quest items will drop equipment with almost no difference in stats from the heirlooms(maybe 1% less). The only real difference is the bonus experience.
    someone told me earlier in a 5 man that they backed off that some but I havent found where it was announced. I use them for the xp more then the stats other then enchanting em

I am curious though if that did get backed off

Stitched Up Heart

Quote Originally Posted by upirlikhyi View Post
    someone told me earlier in a 5 man that they backed off that some but I havent found where it was announced. I use them for the xp more then the stats other then enchanting em

I am curious though if that did get backed off
    I've leveled a couple characters under the new system, checking drops along the way. Generally speaking the stats for quests and drops are within a few points of the heirlooms. Yes, technically the heirlooms are going to be "better", but not enough that you'd even notice the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by torish View Post
    How do i get able to play an "allied race"? Through level 110 grinds?
    Blizzard's website has the details.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ne...h-allied-races

with heirlooms I only had to do around 5 zones to get to 60, I am 66 atm and not even done with the first zone I entered (borean tundra).

I honestly and truly cannot see the heirlooms making THAT much of a difference. It makes a difference sure, but not to that degree..

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I've leveled a couple characters under the new system, checking drops along the way. Generally speaking the stats for quests and drops are within a few points of the heirlooms. Yes, technically the heirlooms are going to be "better", but not enough that you'd even notice the difference.
    K thank you. im working on a low level rogue because I kinda want to compare for myself the speed. Not that i dont believe others im a hands on guy

I leveled one prepatch in 3 days to 110 i want to see what it takes for new one. At 32 it dont seem much slower but people say it bogs at 60

Stitched Up Heart