Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not convinced any of the Allied races are that great - but that's why they're Allied races and not new races. They're effectively a bit of added customisation to existing art that, in two cases, lets one faction play a "member" of the opposite one.

And I'm cool with that. Some people will really like the new options, which is good for them, while others will level them for the Heritage Armour.

I can't see a single valid reason to complain, really. Not one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    No, you are ASSUMING i don't know the story and are ignoring EVIDENCE i presented you.

The horde ARE one dimensional. You just have to play the game to see that. Play the effin game and stop your ridiculous RP!
    I play the game (without RPing), and the Horde are not one dimensional. Far from it, actually.

Your "evidence" is screeching like a petulant child about the Horde being all about savagery, professing how you don't care about the lore other than what you can see in-game with your own 2 eyes.

Sorry, I don't think that's compelling enough to change 20+ years of lore around this game universe.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2018-02-03 at 04:28 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral CreatureLives's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    How does something "not make sense" because it isn't old enough? #1 They are Blood Elves. They have a backstory. Just like if you go back far enough you can connect Blood Elves, Nightborne, Naga and Night Elves. It's not like they were pulled right out of Blizz's ass as something entirely new like people want with those Turtle races. They've always been there. and #2 Blizz literally explained how they exist and why they were kicked out of Silvermoon. So how does it not make sense? It's been a pretty straight forward story so far.

1. Alleria is trying to learn how to use the void for good in the same way the light has been used for good.
    2. Alleria is kicked out of Silvermoon because the Sunwell and her void power doesn't mix well together.
    3. Alleria finds a group of Silvermoon outcasts that also have a interest in the void. This isn't a stretch. Blood Elves have always been obsessed with magic. These guys are just doing a type of magic that many frown upon. Much like Warlock magic.

Why do people hate it whenever Blizz tries to tell a new story? Of course there isn't a ton of Void Elf story yet. They are new and it's part of the story for them to figure out where they go next. The Forsaken had to do the same thing at one point. Also, BFA isn't even here yet. This is basically early access. We know there will be more void/old god stuff in the future and that's where Alleria will get involved. Everything on Mac'Aree was a tease. Just like Tanaan Jungle at the end of WoD was a tease for Legion. And trust me, Alleria is getting a big role in BFA. She's the sister of Sylvanas AND a Warcraft legend herself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Potentio View Post
    Also I find it baffling how something that lasts a good six months of Legion could be considered a BfA feature. For most this “main selling point” will have lost every bit of novelty by September.
    When there will be an expansion to grab everyone's attention.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I play the game (without RPing), and the Horde are not one dimensional. Far from it, actually.

Your "evidence" is screeching like a petulant child about the Horde being all about savagery, professing how you don't care about the lore other than what you can see in-game with your own 2 eyes.

Sorry, I don't think that's compelling enough to change 20+ years of lore around this game universe.
    I'm done with you.

Go play the game and pay atention to what you are doing and characters say. You might get to wake up to reality.

Or keep thinking that the old books equal the new lore. Because, of course they do. You are in denial and wasting my time. Goodbye.

10+ Year Old Account
    After having played at least a few levels with all 4 the Lf Draenai are my favorites, especially because of their racial. Didn't expect that at all. Most disappointing were Nightborne, especially the male version. Looks extremely unfinished

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    I'm done with you.

Go play the game and pay atention to what you are doing and characters say. You might get to wake up to reality.

Or keep thinking that the old books equal the new lore. Because, of course they do. You are in denial and wasting my time. Goodbye.
    "Old books", as if there hasn't been numerous books released in recent years.
    I play the game, probably more than you, with a whole lot more interest in the lore around and in it than you (going by what you've said).
    You're the one in denial much like the manchildren I mentioned earlier in the thread whom can't see beyond the "savagery" and understand what drives the Horde races to form alliances and what they seek in this world.

Goodbye, good riddance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Piesor View Post
    After having played at least a few levels with all 4 the Lf Draenai are my favorites, especially because of their racial. Didn't expect that at all. Most disappointing were Nightborne, especially the male version. Looks extremely unfinished
    Plays that way too.
    A lot of visual bugs, especially with their arms and legs. Gear fitting in weird ways on their bodies and heads and so on.

I love void elves.

Quote Originally Posted by CreatureLives View Post
    How does something "not make sense" because it isn't old enough? #1 They are Blood Elves. They have a backstory. Just like if you go back far enough you can connect Blood Elves, Nightborne, Naga and Night Elves. It's not like they were pulled right out of Blizz's ass as something entirely new like people want with those Turtle races. They've always been there. and #2 Blizz literally explained how they exist and why they were kicked out of Silvermoon. So how does it not make sense? It's been a pretty straight forward story so far.

1. Alleria is trying to learn how to use the void for good in the same way the light has been used for good.
    2. Alleria is kicked out of Silvermoon because the Sunwell and her void power doesn't mix well together.
    3. Alleria finds a group of Silvermoon outcasts that also have a interest in the void. This isn't a stretch. Blood Elves have always been obsessed with magic. These guys are just doing a type of magic that many frown upon. Much like Warlock magic.

Why do people hate it whenever Blizz tries to tell a new story? Of course there isn't a ton of Void Elf story yet. They are new and it's part of the story for them to figure out where they go next. The Forsaken had to do the same thing at one point. Also, BFA isn't even here yet. This is basically early access. We know there will be more void/old god stuff in the future and that's where Alleria will get involved. Everything on Mac'Aree was a tease. Just like Tanaan Jungle at the end of WoD was a tease for Legion. And trust me, Alleria is getting a big role in BFA. She's the sister of Sylvanas AND a Warcraft legend herself.
    1) The likelihood of Alleria and the Void Elves transforming at roughly the same time is extremely contrived.

2) The Void Elves were Blood Elves first. They were part of the Horde and then go to the Alliance. Doesn't make sense that they'd swap factions so easily, just because Alleria found them. Being kicked out of Silvermoon is one thing, but being kicked out of the Horde is another. Sylvanas would never allow that. They should have been High Elves first.

3) People are correct in saying that the Void Elves were pulled out of nowhere. The other 3 currently playable allied races had a part to play in the storyline. That's how WoW has always worked best. Buildup. I've seen people say they've enjoyed Antorus less because many of the bosses came out of nowhere.

tbh none of the 4 subraces are very good. i dont know why they have to have less customization options like skin tones than regular races.

lorewise nightborne and void elves are really hamfisted. im just gonna say it they should be on opposite sides. i dont buy for a second that the blood elves whose closest ally is sylvanas "the lich queen" windrunner would think the void is going too far. and they spend half the nightborne quest trying to convince you that tyrande insulted them and forget to explain why a race of noble elves who drink wine all the time would want to go to orgrimmar

but whatever thats the factions we have. ultimately i dont see what these subraces add to our faction identities. lightforged draenei are just draenei, but they love the light more? that was already the draenei's defining trait. highmountain tauren are tauren with antlers. how are they different from the regular tauren in personality? the answer is they arent. i dont really buy that these 2 races weren't originally just going to be extra customization for your existing tauren or draenei characters.

nightborne are new at least but on the horde they add nothing because their personality is virtually identical to the blood elves. we spent legion helping them make the arcandor and learning that they were about a combination of nature and arcane but now to fit them into the horde they are back to being just arcane.

so the only new subrace with potential are the void elves and only then because the void is inevitably going to come and try to take over in 8.2.

however even saying all that i think the dark irons and zandalar have the potential to be different to the dwarves and trolls we know. so maybe things will improve. brown orcs will be good too but only if they are getting them from outland and not laughably dragging the timewarped draenor orcs into our timeline for some more war.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    3) People are correct in saying that the Void Elves were pulled out of nowhere. The other 3 currently playable allied races had a part to play in the storyline. That's how WoW has always worked best. Buildup. I've seen people say they've enjoyed Antorus less because many of the bosses came out of nowhere.
    And this was always the case. Funny how people only seem to remember the most recent events though.

There were always "filler" bosses serving no other purpose than to stop the players from reaching the "big bads". Antorus contains said guards, and then we fight fucking Aggramar and Antorus themselves.

The Void elves were pulled "out of nowhere" to some players. Others actually paid attention when doing the introduction quests, seeing what transpired with the Void Elves as well as Alleria when she visited Silvermoon which explained why the Void Elves had to switch so quickly between the 2 factions.

I guess Nightborn. Their model clearly isn't finished - and animations are also showing that. But overall I feel that all races (maybe except of void elves) are seriously lacking in customisation options.
    It's quite apparent but in case of Nightborn - all of them seems to look the same. I saw people posting on forums with their toons, and my goodnes. That is the clone army, it's far worse than belf fem combo with blond silly ponytail that almost everyone is using, or troll female with that one face option.

So yea I wasn't inclined of rolling them but now this feeling is empowered.

On the contrary, I was playing with wowhead on Zandalari female customisation options, and while the customisation number is okayish, you can create a lot of variety.

But what I found is that Ztroll female has differently rigged face compared to regular one, and therefore they have perma scrowl. I think their faces look much better on default stance, but here is hoping that since they're coming later developers will adress it (I guess their underwear will be changed too).

But yea here are the results of me playing around with wowhead dressing room.

https://imgur.com/a/Fcl7i

I even made Nightborn look-a-like xD :

I miss Mists of Pandaria

Knew which race OP was gonna say before opening the thread.

Void elf hating is the new hipster pandaren hating

And this was always the case. Funny how people only seem to remember the most recent events though.

There were always "filler" bosses serving no other purpose than to stop the players from reaching the "big bads". Antorus contains said guards, and then we fight fucking Aggramar and Antorus themselves.

The Void elves were pulled "out of nowhere" to some players. Others actually paid attention when doing the introduction quests, seeing what transpired with the Void Elves as well as Alleria when she visited Silvermoon which explained why the Void Elves had to switch so quickly between the 2 factions.
    What do you mean it was always the case? That's not true. Many of the expansions had build up to one boss or another: Illidan in TBC, Lich King in Wrath, Deathwing in Cata, Garrosh in MoP, Gul'dan in Legion. The only curveballs we got were KJ at the end of TBC, and Archimonde in WoD.

Argus' world soul was built up over 7.3, but that wasn't enough for most people. It felt like it came out of nowhere. Antorus as a raid had less demons in it than the capital of the Burning Legion itself should have.

As for Void Elves, Blizzard just randomly said at Blizzcon "Oh by the way there are other Elves that tried to master the Void like Alleria. You'll get to play them." Then they give you the lore afterward.

What do you mean it was always the case? That's not true. Many of the expansions had build up to one boss or another: Illidan in TBC, Lich King in Wrath, Deathwing in Cata, Garrosh in MoP, Gul'dan in Legion. The only curveballs we got were KJ at the end of TBC, and Archimonde in WoD.

Argus' world soul was built up over 7.3, but that wasn't enough for most people. It felt like it came out of nowhere. Antorus as a raid had less demons in it than the capital of the Burning Legion itself should have.

As for Void Elves, Blizzard just randomly said at Blizzcon "Oh by the way there are other Elves that tried to master the Void like Alleria. You'll get to play them." Then they give you the lore afterward.
    It was always the case that raids had filler bosses serving no other purpose than as a boss, no story buildup.

The bosses you count, were all "the big bad" of expansions. All of their raids, had filler bosses with no story behind them. Antorus and thus defeating Sargeras = a big bad of the entire game. There's a reason for why it was a mic-drop moment when Ion said "Oh, and we're going to Antorus...". It's only since the introduction of the Dungeon Journal that players can access snippets of backstory for "filler" bosses.
    And like I said, the Void Elves have story to them. Everything can't be "built up" over the course of a decade, some things will be "new", that doesn't mean it's not made a part of the story through new writing.

It was always the case that raids had filler bosses serving no other purpose than as a boss, no story buildup.

The bosses you count, were all "the big bad" of expansions. All of their raids, had filler bosses with no story behind them. Antorus and thus defeating Sargeras = a big bad of the entire game. There's a reason for why it was a mic-drop moment when Ion said "Oh, and we're going to Antorus...". It's only since the introduction of the Dungeon Journal that players can access snippets of backstory for "filler" bosses.
    And like I said, the Void Elves have story to them. Everything can't be "built up" over the course of a decade, some things will be "new", that doesn't mean it's not made a part of the story through new writing.
    Which is why most people I've seen/talked to say they enjoyed the Nighthold the most. Not only was a break from the norm from all the green, but we got to kill Gul'dan, a fight that built up over the entirely of WoD. This is psychology and nothing more.

Even if you were to have an open mind and say that "sure the Void Elves are new and they'll get future stories," they still have other problems.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    Out of all the 4 Allied Races I have played. The Most Disappointing Allied Race thus far in the lore of Warcraft is Void Elves.

To me Void Elves are pretty much a sad excuse for the Alliance players simply being because they wanted to play high elves for years. Now that blizzard has to decided give alliance players elves they are not the elves you would see from the Silver Covenant let alone Warcraft 2/3 standards. Basically their backstory is very poor and feels throw in. Elves that I know who has rich interesting backstory and lore is the High Elves and Silver Covenant. They were around during Warcraft 2 and now. They even control their magic adduction while being away from the sunwell. But with Void Elves all I see from them is just a group of Blood Elf Exiles who research the void then turned into blue purple elves.

What's so cool about the Void Elves? You may say they have interesting customization but who would want to look like a Emo or some kind of boring uninteresting elf? There is no interesting Hairstyles, No Variety of Skins, No interesting Beards, No Feature to turn back into being a regular elf, No other Class Variety like Paladins or Death Knights, and feel like a cheap allied subrace. Yea in terms of Looks they might be alright except in some areas. But their lore is poor, and roleplay wise doesn't really fit the alliance.

As somebody who likes seeing Faction Identity. Void Elves are not Alliance Identity. Only Allied Races that have rich lore and interesting customization is the Lightforged Draenei, Highmountain Tauren, and Nightborne. Nightborne and Highmountain are True Horde Identity and Lightforged Draenei is not only Alliance but also Draenei Identity. Blizzard could have done so much different variety of customization for the high elves but instead they gave the alliance a subrace that no one wanted.
    You think you have a point but you've misunderstood why void elves fit in the Alliance and are caught up on high elves because of an older version of the game.
    Normally I would be quick to agree as on the surface I would've preferred Alliance to get a high elf and fx a wild-hammer dwarf and for Horde to get both void elves and nightborne, or something more sensible like HMT and a brown orc.
    Void elves resisting the pull of the void similar to high elves and the sunwell just make them just as interesting and fit for alliance. It's a story that's already been told and this is just a different spin on it to help distinguish them too. Look on the bright side at-least this leaves the door open for more of the darker alliance races like fx. some sort of leper gnome..?

The factions have much in common and much that sets them apart either way. Both struggle with each other and with themselves over the ends justifying the means. It's not difficult to come up with, the difficult part is making it sensible and not appear hamfisted as you sprinkle ethic and moral lessons throughout it. Blizz can do with the story as they want as they've proven again and again just to keep it going.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2018-02-03 at 05:52 PM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    I'm not convinced any of the Allied races are that great - but that's why they're Allied races and not new races. They're effectively a bit of added customisation to existing art that, in two cases, lets one faction play a "member" of the opposite one.

And I'm cool with that. Some people will really like the new options, which is good for them, while others will level them for the Heritage Armour.

I can't see a single valid reason to complain, really. Not one.
    Well, the problem is that in many cases they're worse customisation-wise than their base races. The quality is lacking, that's the biggest issue people have w/ allied races, and not that they share animations w/ old races.

Bloodsail Admiral CreatureLives's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    1) The likelihood of Alleria and the Void Elves transforming at roughly the same time is extremely contrived.

2) The Void Elves were Blood Elves first. They were part of the Horde and then go to the Alliance. Doesn't make sense that they'd swap factions so easily, just because Alleria found them. Being kicked out of Silvermoon is one thing, but being kicked out of the Horde is another. Sylvanas would never allow that. They should have been High Elves first.

1. Not really. Seems like the void is making itself more known as of late. That's why Sargeras was trying to stop them. It only makes sense that when we get closer to Sargeras we get closer to the void and it only makes sense that once Sargeras is taken out of the picture the void gets stronger because it no longer has a enemy.

2. Blood Elves were Alliance at one point. They have always been flip floppers.

3. They weren't pulled out of nowhere. Maybe the storyline was because it's new (like all new storylines) but they were Blood Elves before this. These are just Blood Elves that have decided to do something new.

And who is to say this storyline is going nowhere? They were just introduced. People are jumping to conclusions that this is all we are going to get. There is clearly something being built up with the Alleria/Void storyline it's just being saved for BFA and future expansions.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That could also be said with a carbon copy of a alliance race name the night elves. But only difference is the Nightborne are completely different Night Elf race but with a very interesting rich background story. You just got have a interesting backstory for these different kinds of allied races. With Void Elves not so much.
    ....The High elf backstory is the same as the Blood elfs. There are no high elf community which differs from the Blood elfs, so you are pretty much asking for the impossible.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.