10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There is only winning and losing. If you lose you failed. We failed spectacularly today.
    Defense was just terrible. Jordan Richards? Yuck.
    Damn Fencer you are fierce. The Patriots were amazing, the only reason the Eagles won was because of time, you must know at some point everybody loses, everyone, they aren't supermen. How ever close Brady might seem.

It's one game not a series, and if it was I am not sure the Patriots would have ever lost a super bowl. But the fact is it was one game, it's going to happen, they did everything right, except say maybe one mistake, and that is far, far less than some of the best teams that have won.

Personally I would proud of the way they played if they were my team, they will be back next year, and feared again, the Patriots have a machine a hate, but for sure a machine.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Question: is this the first case of a backup quarterback winning a Super Bowl? I know the definition of "backup" is vague, but it's definitely something that you don't see happening.
    No, Doug Williams for the Redskins. And a more similar situation, when Phil Simms went down, with Jeff Hostetler of the Giants (which, funny enough, Belichick was a part of as the Giants D-Coordinator).

You can always throw out Brady and Warner into those arguments, but the 2 above are the "traditional" backups similar to Foles' situation. That is, they didn't go onto become full-time starters and have HOF careers. They both basically went back to what they were (although Hostetler won the starting job, but got injured).
    Last edited by Espo; 2018-02-05 at 06:27 AM.

Deleted
    Question: is this the first case of a backup quarterback winning a Super Bowl? I know the definition of "backup" is vague, but it's definitely something that you don't see happening.
    Hostetler. Brady?

The situations aren't 100% comparable, but those two come to mind quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kurt Warner is the first to come to mind.

Tom Brady was the backup too.

i mean tom was backup in 2001

10+ Year Old Account
    Brady was the back up too, long long ago.

Someone smarter than me on twitter (beat writer of sorts):

"Patriots personnel decision was to put a safety (Chung, Richards) at the nickel to help stop the run and also cover the slot (Agholor). Plan was for bigger Rowe to cover Jeffery and they trusted Gilmore to cover Smith better than Butler could."

"Rowe struggled vs Jeffery and coaches decided to just flip Rowe's and Gilmore's coverage responsibilities, instead of benching Rowe and adding Butler to the mix."

This makes an awful lot of sense with how the game played out. Too bad it didn't fucking work. This does make me wonder what else they could have done though. This seems like a solid plan in theory, but clearly more was needed.

Guess it may be safe to say that the Patriots would have not made a meaningful difference on defense, in whatever configuration they had played it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I look at Warner, Dilfer, Brady, three years in a row the backup won it all.

Jeff Hostetler beat us (the Bills) as the backup QB for the Giant in SUper Bowl XXV. Phil Simms was injured for most of the playoffs, iirc.

I just reviewed a highlights reel. It changes a bit what I think about the game.

On the one hand the defenses did not play well. But some of the reasons for this is... both offenses were playing completely awesome. There were a lot of completions, many for a large number of yards, where the ball was thrown perfectly through 2-3 defenders and the receiver made a great catch to get the completion. This is a huge plus to Philadelphia because Brady was expected to thread these needles, while it was unclear if Foles would be able to. Both quarterbacks repeatedly made great throws.

The interception that was counted against Foles was basically just another awesome pass that the receiver tried to one-hand, and instead of pulling it in he knocked it up in the air for one of the multiple defenders to bring in. Awesome throw, almost an awesome reception.

The defenses DID look bad today. But a lot of that was because both offenses were lights out. Brady has NEVER thrown for 505 yards in a Super Bowl. He made great throws, his receivers made great receptions, and this opened up some room for his running game to make some crucial plays at important times.

This was just plain a great game. I am glad the Eagles pulled it out

One question: is 4, the number of touchdowns with missed extra points, a record as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    One question: is 4, the number of touchdowns with missed extra points, a record as well?
    Yep, let me dig up the full list of records for this Super Bowl, I saw and read it earlier.

EDIT:

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It wasnt a touch down
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    ProFootball Talk says there's increasing chatter that Josh McDaniels will NOT sign with the Colts, but will stay on as the Patriots OC. That would be quite the development and would likely ruin McDaniels chances to get signed anywhere for the next couple of years. Owners talk, and being spurned by a coach when you have waited for him for several weeks probably does not go over well.

The Patriots off season has barely begun and it's already pants on head silly.

There were only two missed PATs, the other two were missed 2 point conversions, iirc. Kind of a different ballgame there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    There were only two missed PATs, the other two were missed 2 point conversions, iirc. Kind of a different ballgame there.
    Counts as a Point after touchdown (PAT) I guess, even if it's a totally different way of scoring.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    ProFootball Talk says there's increasing chatter that Josh McDaniels will NOT sign with the Colts, but will stay on as the Patriots OC. That would be quite the development and would likely ruin McDaniels chances to get signed anywhere for the next couple of years. Owners talk, and being spurned by a coach when you have waited for him for several weeks probably does not go over well.

The Patriots off season has barely begun and it's already pants on head silly.
    Ugh, Gronk talking about possibly retiring also.

My idea behind McDaniels is he is heir to the thrown, hes going to get the head job of the pats once Bill steps down. Last night was kind of a disaster, it will be interesting to see where we decide to go with our defense, we need something that's A LOT better than what we have had over the last decade.

15+ Year Old Account
    If the patriots manage to make their defense just a tad better they will be amazing but ye finding those players in FA and drafting them hasnt realy worked out great in recent years, now its time to rework rebuild and get back next year hopefully with less injuries during the season.

But gratz to Philly for finaly winning a price, now wait for a long time again :P
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2018-02-05 at 03:50 PM.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Yep, let me dig up the full list of records for this Super Bowl, I saw and read it earlier.

EDIT:

you missed fewest sacks combined, which is 1

15+ Year Old Account
    Tbh all in all this game was pretty much a replay of the Steelers Jaguars match where Ben threw for allmost 500 yards and he was amazing but the defense allowed the Jags to outscore them.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    If the patriots manage to make their defense just a tad better they will be amazing but ye finding those players in FA and drafting them hasnt realy worked out great in recent years, now its time to rework rebuild and get back next year hopefully with less injuries during the season.

But gratz to Philly for finaly winning a price, now wait for a long time again :P
    No waiting! 20 of 22 starters under contract! Sidney Jones for a full season and we should be able to pick up a good haul for Foles! Eagles are doing it again!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    No waiting! 20 of 22 starters under contract! Sidney Jones for a full season and we should be able to pick up a good haul for Foles! Eagles are doing it again!
    Yes... between now and 10 years :P