Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Washington state, united states of america.

Levelling doesn't feel slower.

I've heard a bunch of people complaining that their levelling experience has been ruined because its so insanely slow now. Also there were some people who did some testing on the PTR and said it was about 5-10% longer (roughly) to get to 110. But I've been levelling allied races for their heritage armour and I'm not seeing a problem. True I haven't levelled a character from scratch since MoP. So it's been awhile. But I get about 1 level for a dungeon (without quests). And about 4-6 quests give me a level. I did a dungeon gained a level and then literally 5-10 minutes of questing and I gained another level. This seems like a perfectly reasonable pace for me. To clarify I did all of this with heirlooms. It doesn't feel dreadfully slow or anything. I've yet to see confirmation but I heard that low level quests got their EXP boosted which would've made up for the increased time it takes to kill things.
    Let's get 1 thing straight, I'm not

But it is slower. That you think or feel something does not change that fact.

The EXP needed to get from 1-60 was increased by around 60%. Also you might get a level every 5 minutes early on but around level 20 that 5 minutes can easily become 20, 30+ Minutes
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

It can both be slower and not feel too slow at the same time. Your argument is not great because you admit to not leveling recently and also are not actually comparing anything.

I agree with your jist, but you'd be better off just saying "levelling is not too slow and feels good" than saying it is not slower with no evidence. I level a lot and it's definitely slower but it's better for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Source? I saw some evidence to support 5-10% awhile ago. But that's negligible. Taking 8 days instead of 7 to level (random example) to cap isn't bad. The increased time would be so small that it's not worth complaining about it. It's already one of the fastest levelling in any game I've ever played. Only others one I can think of that is faster is guild wars 2. Even if it IS slower. I don't feel it. It's not noticeable. And others may notice it. That's fine. But complaining about this seems like just being whiny.

If it's slower, but he doesn't feel the difference, where's the problem?
    "Leave your personal feedback, don't try to convince them that "everyone" hates something." - Ion Hazzikostas
    It's actually Wowhead, if I quoted directly from Ion the signature would drag out too long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricks View Post
    It can both be slower and not feel too slow at the same time. Your argument is not great because you admit to not leveling recently and also are not actually comparing anything.

I agree with your jist, but you'd be better off just saying "levelling is not too slow and feels good" than saying it is not slower with no evidence. I level a lot and it's definitely slower but it's better for it.
    I think it's good to have a fresh perspective. Instead of hyper analysing it and comparing it to raw numbers to get an exact amount that it is slower or faster isn't always helpful.

Of course people who were recently levelling alts are more likely to notice it. But those of us that haven't aren't going to notice a difference.

When a new player comes to the game I think they will be content with the levelling speed. And people who haven't been hyper paying attention to all of this likely won't notice a difference.

Levelling over-all feels better for me to. And the speed is at a fair pace even if that pace is slower than before.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbull View Post
    If it's slower, but he doesn't feel the difference, where's the problem?
    EXACTLY my point. I might feel the difference in a 3 degree temperature drop. But it's unlikely to make me uncomfortable with the temperature was at a good place before.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    The EXP needed to get from 1-60 was increased by around 60%. Also you might get a level every 5 minutes early on but around level 20 that 5 minutes can easily become 20, 30+ Minutes
    These are allied races I'm playing. They all start at 20. I haven't been able to test pre-20. And those are my result. And while it was increased. I've seen evidence to suggest quest exp was also increased, plus time saving from not having to zone jump every half an hour and the scaling tech means you always get max exp for a quest that you could from your level. All of these balance it out.

It's dishonest to post one fact about a subject and not include other facts which partially or completely negate the stated fact.

Like "Vaccines have mercury!" But ignoring the fact that due to the process it goes through it is completely harmless.
    Last edited by serendipity11; 2018-02-06 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by serendipity11 View Post
    Levelling doesn't feel slower.
    It does though

I think it's good to have a fresh perspective. Instead of hyper analysing it and comparing it to raw numbers to get an exact amount that it is slower or faster isn't always helpful.

When a new player comes to the game I think they will be content with the levelling speed. And people who haven't been hyper paying attention to all of this likely won't notice a difference.

Levelling over-all feels better for me to. And the speed is at a fair pace even if that pace is slower than before.

- - - Updated - - -

EXACTLY my point. I might feel the difference in a 3 degree temperature drop. But it's unlikely to make me uncomfortable with the temperature was at a good place before.

- - - Updated - - -

These are allied races I'm playing. They all start at 20. I haven't been able to test pre-20. And those are my result. And while it was increased. I've seen evidence to suggest quest exp was also increased, plus time saving from not having to zone jump every half an hour and the scaling tech means you always get max exp for a quest that you could from your level. All of these balance it out.
    Like I said I agree with your jist and post just not how you say "it isn't slower" when, in my opinion, you are really meaning "it isn't too slow".

I've been leveling a void elf toon recently and it feels okay to me. Not having to abandon quests because you pass the level threshold for every zone is a plus, and it makes the flow feel more natural as again you're doing all the quests that progress you to the next zone. Dungeons feels so much better when it isn't a zergfest. IMO anyway.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricks View Post
    Like I said I agree with your jist and post just not how you say "it isn't slower" when, in my opinion, you are really meaning "it isn't too slow".
    I did say that. This is obviously my opinion. I also mentioned if it IS slower it's by a very small amount. I don't complain about a 5 cent increase on something that costs a dollar. Why are people complaining so much about this? I truly do not understand.

it is indeed slower. the fastest way to level used to be dungeon grinds. you would gain enough xp from quests in the dungeon to get to the next dungeon with new quests. its not just slower but i would say its about 30% ish slower. i have 4 hrs on mine and im only 32 . i have been questing and doing dungeons nonstop . in the same amount of time before i would be 50 by now.

so ya its slower .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seasz View Post
    It does though
    You may also be bias though. You heard it was going slower so you were paying more attention to the speed which allowed you to notice the decreased speed even though small.

It's absolutely slower, the 4-6 quests per level quickly drops off unless you're playing monk for an hour a day, then 60-80 is actual torture, then it speeds up significantly for 80-110. Even if we say average 20 minutes per level, which I think is generous, that's minimum 30 hours for allied races.

I think the problem is for people leveling their 10th+ character, they don't want to spend that much time on mind-numbing content just to reach endgame on a class they might not even enjoy in the end.

You may also be bias though. You heard it was going slower so you were paying more attention to the speed which allowed you to notice the decreased speed even though small.
    im not bias. in my off time from raiding i level alts. i KNOW its slower by a signifigant margin.

Actually - the perception is MORE important than the reality in experiencing time, reality is only important in MEASURING time.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xecks View Post
    it is indeed slower. the fastest way to level used to be dungeon grinds. you would gain enough xp from quests in the dungeon to get to the next dungeon with new quests. its not just slower but i would say its about 30% ish slower. i have 4 hrs on mine and im only 32 . i have been questing and doing dungeons nonstop . in the same amount of time before i would be 50 by now.

so ya its slower .
    They did nerf dungeon exp. It still gives good exp but dungeon spamming is no longer the best way to level. In fact compared to questing it is quite ineffective. People might be noticing it being much slower because they're trying to level as they did before with dungeon spamming. But blizzard has said in the past they never liked dungeon spamming to be the optimal way to level. Which is why for the past 3 expansions it's been ineffective way to get from the previous cap to the new cap. They're just now making this retroactive change that aligns with their design philosophy .

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Actually - the perception is MORE important than the reality in experiencing time, reality is only important in MEASURING time.
    this is true. but for those who leveled before the patch they can FEEL the slowness of it all.

- - - Updated - - -

They did nerf dungeon exp. It still gives good exp but dungeon spamming is no longer the best way to level. In fact compared to questing it is quite ineffective. People might be noticing it being much slower because they're trying to level as they did before with dungeon spamming. But blizzard has said in the past they never liked dungeon spamming to be the optimal way to level. Which is why for the past 3 expansions it's been ineffective way to get from the previous cap to the new cap. They're just now making this retroactive change that aligns with their design philosophy .
    weather they did that or not , the point still stands that it is actually quite a bit slower. like quite a bit.

All i know is it took me about 24 hours of gameplay to get from level 20 to 60
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    All i know is it took me about 24 hours of gameplay to get from level 20 to 60
    in 24 hrs before the patch i would be 100 and working well into 110 by then.