Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I would just take the money. I would buy or build a small ranch style house on some property. Put a wall around my home and bars on the window. Good alarm system. The wall would have a locking gate. I do not like going anywhere anyways, so it probably would not bother me much.
    No need for bars or alarms. Anyone clever enough to tiptoe through the tiger preserve and the Komodo saunctuary is welcome to come inside and make themselves a snack.

They'll need the energy for their walk back...

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    Let me just play devil's advocate for a second.

What do you think the possibility of someone using the lottery to pay people off quietly?

Governor fucks around... shhh tell her to buy a lottery ticket on Friday and she'll be a billionaire.

Need Trump assassinated? You'll do time... but your family will be rich, and no one will ever know.

I prefer it stay public information thank you very much.

Seems like a lot of work. Why not set up a ton of shell companies like the cartels?

Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    Because it's common sense. These aren't celebrities who are constantly in the news. If they keep their head down as much as possible, ADHD America will move on very quickly. Might have some issues for a little while with locals until you move, but it won't last long if you are smart about it. I mean, just go to a fucking hotel as soon as your name is released.

When you get retards buying water parks or gambling it all away, you can see why these people are completely retarded to solve simple problems. If you want the attention, you'll get it. If you don't, there are plenty of ways to avoid it long term.
    Might target your family instead then. There's nothing common sensy about criminals. That's their whole game.

Anyway you might not want to move away at all. Why give up friends and family dear to you only to be rich? Rich people can only buy themselves friends who will ditch you once that money has run out. So unless you literally change your name, people will google new "friends" who turn up with big cars at events and whatnot. And Google will tell them who you are.

There's no way to escape the curse of being a lottery winner unless you go full witness protection program on yourself.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2018-02-07 at 05:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ill do it for her if she lets me keep 20 mill.

<.<
    >.>

Are you being serious?
    Are you being serious? If it's possible people would do it. I haven't heard of a single case so far. If you have please do share.

Then what the fuck did she play the lottery for? Your life is going to change if you win. How naive (read stupid) can you be to think it won't?
    Presumably, she bought a ticket for the Powerball of whatever without thinking what she would do. As her kids and ''friends'' will sue her over her winnings, it's not ''stupid'' to try to remain anonymous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    That was not ''rigging the lottery'' dude.
    LOL

Lottery commission knew about it...

Guaranteed 15-20% return

Sounds rigged to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    The problem is that there are lottery winners who get attention regardless. There are stories of lottery winners being extorted, of family members being kidnapped for ransoms, even winners who have been killed or have had others plot to kill them. These are all things that people don't ask for when they win the lotto.

The difference between a rando lottery winner and, say, a corporate CEO/movie star is notoriety and likely related to education and support structures. A CEO will be smart about their money and decisions, and a celebrity has likely had a lot of support built up around them in the way of managers, agent and lawyers to protect them and educate them on what to do and what not to do. Also, if something bad happened to them it would be noticeable and high-profile.

In contrast, if some middle-class schmuck wins half a billion and turns up dead someplace, or goes broke because he got conned into a ponzi scheme, people won't even blink an eye since no one will remember who they were after the first week.
    So they're dumb. Which is my point, since this is a non-issue for anyone with even a bit of sense.

I do get you can't control everything, the family being kidnapped thing being a major one, but most of this can be solved by going to a financial advisor as soon as you win, and hiring some security for protection until you can make yourself disappear again. I feel no pity for idiots who can't hold on to millions of dollars.

So they're dumb. Which is my point, since this is a non-issue for anyone with even a bit of sense.

I do get you can't control everything, the family being kidnapped thing being a major one, but most of this can be solved by going to a financial advisor as soon as you win, and hiring some security for protection until you can make yourself disappear again. I feel no pity for idiots who can't hold on to millions of dollars.
    Do you have a million of dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Might target your family instead then. There's nothing common sensy about criminals. That's their whole game.

Anyway you might not want to move away at all. Why give up friends and family dear to you only to be rich?
    That's the whole thing man. If you're willing to accept that kind of money publicly, you have to be willing to accept that you're pretty much sacrificing your regular life, plus you're putting your family in danger. I would still take it despite the whole risk, and you don't have to buy your friends if you're friends with people who are already rich.

Just the idea itself makes me intrigued and willing to go for it and potentially screw everything/body over. Call me selfish I guess...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Some crazy whacko thinks you literally get a mountain of cash and tries to rob you?
    Well, sure, but who carries cash these days? You're retarded if you go round mugging people hoping they have cash on them. Most you'll get out of me is about £2.

Still, fearing the possibility over a possible mugging wouldn't stop me from claiming all that money, not at my age anyways.

Also, in the UK you don't have to go public, but even if you choose to stay anonymous, its bound to be revealed at some point. Just take the money and enjoy it while you can. Don't spend it all on sweets :P

Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    If anything it possibly violates contractual good faith if her rights weren't clearly explained to her prior to signing the ticket over. She could sue the state claiming that her rights are being violated by the state refusing to allow her to instead claim the winnings through a trust or LLC.
    That's only going to be a minor victory if any at all. I don't see anything more than MAYBE the state putting one more pixel into their small print. Good faith laws aren't going to help here because everything was laid out, the presumptions were reasonable, and she signed the line. This isn't really the shaky ground like we see with EULA's being shot down. Now, I do not agree with the places that release the person's information. Any type of victory for her will be hollow. She could walk away with a win but it will amount to absolutely nothing for her. Plus, her name is going to go on record with a lawsuit so that will defeat her reasoning.

Do you have a million of dollars?
    What does that have to do with it? I said hold onto, not earn. Winning the lottery isn't earning shit. And if you can't hold on to it, then you never should have had it in the first place.

And yes, if I won a million dollars I could hold onto it, because I'm not retarded. I know that isn't an infinite sum. I'd invest half, buy a decent condo, give some to family/friends, keep at least 100k in bank at all times. I wouldn't quit my job. If I won 560 million, I'd have even less trouble since you have much more to be frivolous with, and money makes more money with investing.
    Last edited by Amerrol; 2018-02-07 at 05:45 PM.

....is make her name public. She refuses.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7488629b9edd

Tough decision. I would not want my name to be public. As a matter of fact, if I ever happen to be a lottery winner I would not tell anybody that I had won, not even my immediate family - short of maybe my parents whom I would trust to not talk about it.

What would you have done in this case?
    I'll claim if it she doesn't want to. I can change my name and move.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you being serious? If it's possible people would do it. I haven't heard of a single case so far. If you have please do share.
    (Step 1) Find a guy that can tell you what numbers have chosen/selected state/country wide
    (Step 2) Lean on him, give him a cut, threaten him/her or their family
    (Step 3) Buy a liquor store/convenience store with a lottery machine
    (Step 4) On slow lotto days/weeks buy millions of dollars worth of tickets (the money you want to launder)
    (Step 5) Find the person(s) responsible for the actual drawing
    (Step 6) Lean on them, threaten or cut them in
    (Step 7) Stage a live broadcast of the number selection (numbers drawn are unique to the "winning ticket" you've already purchased) you know its a unique ticket... because of the guy in step 2.
    (Step 8) Collect winnings (now because of you advocates) anonymously

It sounds like fiction... but if I had a criminal enterprise that is how I would do it.

In the end, its the transparency that gives the public confidence that the system is on the up and up... take that away, and people lose faith that its legit. (I still doubt that it's legit, but I still play occasionally) I look at it as I am paying for a dollars worth of dreaming... its cheap entertainment.

For me, I don't understand your absolute faith in the system. Wide spread corruption isn't unique to American companies or American government. How can YOU be so sure corruption doesn't exist? How are you not open to the possibility that it CAN happen?
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2018-02-07 at 05:43 PM.

There are ways around the public disclosure of your name, as long as you have not signed the ticket yet. Back when the powerball got really big and the whole country was hyped, I did some digging for California rules.

The best course of action is to purchase a safety deposit box at a bank, and store the ticket in there. Contact an attorney and you basically find a proxy for the winnings, and give them a small chunk, something like 50k. The lawyer does lawyer stuff and makes it so the money skips right over them, and straight to you, so there's no chance that your proxy runs off with it. Your attorney then pays out on your behalf, and you're protected under attorney-client privilege.

Now all I need to do is win the lottery... >.>
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

(Step 1) Find a guy that can tell you what numbers have chosen/selected state/country wide
    (Step 2) Lean on him, give him a cut, threaten him/her or their family
    (Step 3) Buy a liquor store/convenience store with a lottery machine
    (Step 4) On slow lotto days/weeks buy millions of dollars worth of tickets (the money you want to launder)
    (Step 5) Find the person(s) responsible for the actual drawing
    (Step 6) Lean on them, threaten or cut them in
    (Step 7) Stage a live broadcast of the number selection (numbers drawn are unique to the "winning ticket" you've already purchased) you know its a unique ticket... because of the guy in step 2.
    (Step 8) Collect winnings (now because of you advocates) anonymously

It sounds like fiction... but if I had a criminal enterprise that is how I would do it.

In the end, its the transparency that gives the public confidence that the system is on the up and up... take that away, and people lose faith that its legit. (I still doubt that it's legit, but I still play occasionally) I look at it as I am paying for a dollars worth of dreaming... its cheap entertainment.
    If any of that came to light you'd also be in prison.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabbywabby View Post
    Well, sure, but who carries cash these days? You're retarded if you go round mugging people hoping they have cash on them. Most you'll get out of me is about £2.

Still, fearing the possibility over a possible mugging wouldn't stop me from claiming all that money, not at my age anyways.

Also, in the UK you don't have to go public, but even if you choose to stay anonymous, its bound to be revealed at some point. Just take the money and enjoy it while you can. Don't spend it all on sweets :P
    Well criminals aren't known for being the brightest people so that's why its a fear for some people I imagine. But yes personally even though I'd rather stay anonymous I'd go public if it meant take it or leave it. No way I'm giving up that much dough for the sake of privacy.

the anonymous thing really doesn't matter though. collecting big lotto payouts puts a target on your head. its usually jealous family members or loved ones that put the bullet in your skull. it's probably the same argument of "your life changed but why didn't mine?" if you deny them of something they want.

If it was take it or leave type deal,

I'd be taking it. I'd moved regardless,