Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Take the money and move in for a year or two to the Trump Tower.

Enjoy the xtra security. GTFO when the hype / solicitors moved on to the next winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    When you enter into a pool like that people normally get a copy with the lotto numbers. This way you can check if you won, and if you don't get your share you sue.
    Yup, with this publicity this is getting im pretty sure any member of said pool would had come out by now and call her out on it. As far as i know, none has come out, so it seems its a solo ticket.
    Last edited by dvaz; 2018-02-07 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    Your need to feel superior says a lot about you. Whether I'm 12 or 99. You condescension smacks of a complex...

I assumed (incorrectly) she wanted to collect the winnings 100% anonymous. Being that we in the US buy our tickets in cash, anonymously, you have to provide information to collect.

The issue is making that information public.

Which here in the US, the transparency, is what gives lottery participants reasonable assurance that everything is on the up and up. To allow anonymity, undermines credibility.
    And how does that work with a trust?

Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    So they're dumb. Which is my point, since this is a non-issue for anyone with even a bit of sense.
    Well, I could totally understand a typical person not understanding what their rights are when it comes to handling the disbursement of lotto winnings. This woman probably wasn't aware of the requirement to have her name published when she signed the ticket over, and only in hindsight after she's lawyered up has she been informed that she could have used an anonymous trust. It's reasonable to expect people to not think of seeking legal counsel prior to accepting the winnings, even if it'd be common sense for you, me, and others. My stance on it is that the state should have a legal responsibility to explain these things to people before accepting their endorsed ticket.

Additionally, when it comes to money, a large, large portion of humanity is pretty ignorant and/or irresponsible. A lot of it (at least in the USA) has to do with a complete failure in our education systems not teaching people how money and credit works, and people - especially those of lower incomes - not knowing about or understanding what a financial advisor is. Which, again, comes down to education and having the right people there to help manage and guide you through the process, which a CEO or celebrity would have.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

if I win the big lottery every body will know when I drive a new truck of a different color every day!
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    Under who's rules? The organiser knows that she has a valid ticket, why can't they just pixelate the signature if it needs to be shown for any reason?
    They're talking about physically altering the signature. If they touch it, the ticket becomes invalid. Unless they remove the signature, the contract is valid though and she has to go public.

Only six states in the U.S. — Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina — allow winners to remain anonymous. Also, not all states allow you to claim the winning as LLC. So sometimes you are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to claiming your lottery winning.

If she was in a pool and had agreed to share the money. I'd say she would have motive to hide her identity... then she doesn't have to share. Legally the lottery can only be won by a single person. Morally, she'd be a bitch.

I'd bet money on you not being American... making you ignorant of how lotteries work in America.
    You're still so angry at this woman for not wanting the public to know she won. Nowhere in the article does it state anything about a pool. It states that she won. She signed. I am American, and there are plenty of ways in the US that you can win anonymously. She just didn't know that until after she signed. You're assuming she would only want to hide identity for illegal reasons because you don't seem to understand the dangers of becoming suddenly rich. She will be a target, she wants to avoid that. The government knows everyone who wins the lottery, it doesn't matter if they win anonymously or not, the government still knows.

Yeah providing personal information so the government knows who to tax is just... outrageous.

You don't see how allowing people to collect the lottery anonymously could lead to illegal activity... I dunno... like... money laundering?
    They can give the government agencies that it concerns the information without making her name public to everyone.

Deleted
    Your need to feel superior says a lot about you. Whether I'm 12 or 99. You condescension smacks of a complex...
    Being 12 would explain your post and naivity, being older would only show your ignorance.

I was taking the wind out of your sails, because you were the dude who called the winner a "greedy bitch"
    and it's actually you who started to be condescending by adding a sarcastic tone right from the beginning... but oh well...

And now you want to make it sound like you had a discussion and I'm the one who isn't adding constructive criticism - nah, how about I critizise your obvious shitpost which had absolutely nothing to offer other than pure ignorance.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2018-02-07 at 07:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Her reasons is why I don't play the lotto. I would never want to win.

Sure, when things are tough, I wish I had a lot of money. But the press, the fame, it's a lot for people who never had to handle it before. Add in people who will deliberately sue you or try to scam you to steal what you have and it's just not worth it.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account

Yeah providing personal information so the government knows who to tax is just... outrageous.
    Silly you....in UK and Germany and other countries you also dont pay taxes on lottery winnings yay !

Things like this make me wonder just how long it would take to have your name legally changed.

(Step 1) Find a guy that can tell you what numbers have chosen/selected state/country wide
    (Step 2) Lean on him, give him a cut, threaten him/her or their family
    (Step 3) Buy a liquor store/convenience store with a lottery machine
    (Step 4) On slow lotto days/weeks buy millions of dollars worth of tickets (the money you want to launder)
    (Step 5) Find the person(s) responsible for the actual drawing
    (Step 6) Lean on them, threaten or cut them in
    (Step 7) Stage a live broadcast of the number selection (numbers drawn are unique to the "winning ticket" you've already purchased) you know its a unique ticket... because of the guy in step 2.
    (Step 8) Collect winnings (now because of you advocates) anonymously

It sounds like fiction... but if I had a criminal enterprise that is how I would do it.

In the end, its the transparency that gives the public confidence that the system is on the up and up... take that away, and people lose faith that its legit. (I still doubt that it's legit, but I still play occasionally) I look at it as I am paying for a dollars worth of dreaming... its cheap entertainment.

For me, I don't understand your absolute faith in the system. Wide spread corruption isn't unique to American companies or American government. How can YOU be so sure corruption doesn't exist? How are you not open to the possibility that it CAN happen?
    Lol never in a million years would that work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Her reasons is why I don't play the lotto. I would never want to win.

Sure, when things are tough, I wish I had a lot of money. But the press, the fame,
    The whole one days worth of it for a 560 million jackpot? You could plaster my name and face everywhere I could care less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    Being 12 would explain your post and naivity, being older would only show your ignorance.

I was taking the wind out of your sails, because you were the dude who called the winner a "greedy bitch"
    and it's actually you who started to be condescending by adding a sarcastic tone right from the beginning... but oh well...

And now you want to make it sound like you had a discussion and I'm the one who isn't adding constructive criticism - nah, how about I critizise your obvious shitpost which had absolutely nothing to offer other than pure ignorance.
    Says the guy who has added nothing to the conversation and done nothing but make personal attacks against a specific poster. Care to add to the conversation, or are you giving us more glimpses at your maturity by fighting shit posting with shit posting?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Silly you....in UK and Germany and other countries you also dont pay taxes on lottery winnings yay !
    Sill you... in the US... where it happened. They do. Its comical how many of you are quick to claim I know nothing about the process... whilst assuming (incorrectly) that the applicable laws are the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    You're still so angry at this woman for not wanting the public to know she won. Nowhere in the article does it state anything about a pool. It states that she won. She signed. I am American, and there are plenty of ways in the US that you can win anonymously. She just didn't know that until after she signed. You're assuming she would only want to hide identity for illegal reasons because you don't seem to understand the dangers of becoming suddenly rich. She will be a target, she wants to avoid that. The government knows everyone who wins the lottery, it doesn't matter if they win anonymously or not, the government still knows.
    I never stated this a fact. From the beginning I said it was a guess/bet. Forgive me if I don't take her statements at face value.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    The whole one days worth of it for a 560 million jackpot? You could plaster my name and face everywhere I could care less.
    There has been plenty of interviews of post-large-wins where people complained about how people they didn't know begged them for money for weeks, months, even years later. They were sued by people for all sorts of slights that no one would realistically sue. They were hounded by family and friends who were jealous.

No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    ....is make her name public. She refuses.

edit: just to clear up some confusion. In the USA, you can stay anonymous as long as you assign a Trust. She however signed the papers not knowing that she'd have to release her full information afterwards and is now suing to get this undone. The lottery says she can have the money right now - but she doesn't want it unless they allow her to assign a Trust. I highlighted the relevant part in the article for better visibility.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7488629b9edd

Tough decision. I would not want my name to be public. As a matter of fact, if I ever happen to be a lottery winner I would not tell anybody that I had won, not even my immediate family - short of maybe my parents whom I would trust to not talk about it.

What would you have done in this case?
    This is honestly sounds pretty damned shifty. I mean with $560 million just get your name changed. I have to assume the winner was up to something nefarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyron View Post
    I've sacrificed everything, what have you giv...

Punches the demon hunter in the face.

Perhaps she's just a greedy bitch and doesn't want to share because her ticket was part of a larger pool? I'd bet money on that one.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't see how allowing people to collect the lottery anonymously could lead to illegal activity... I dunno... like... money laundering?
    oh my goodness..... do you know how life works? lol

Deleted
    Says the guy who has added nothing to the conversation and done nothing but make personal attacks against a specific poster. Care to add to the conversation, or are you giving us more glimpses at your maturity by fighting shit posting with shit posting?
    I already did - by stating that your idea of how things work is ridiculous and that they don't apply in this scenario (or the world in general).
    It's not my fault that you put up nonsense that people have to refute first, so that there can be an actual discussion about this topic that isn't sidetracked with made up problems and beliefs - and/or envy and unfounded hate towards someone who won in the lottery.

The fact that you started and imagined a nasty story about her being in a lottery-group is really telling.

You can't be like "All apples are yellow" and except people to suck it up.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2018-02-07 at 08:58 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    ....is make her name public. She refuses.

edit: just to clear up some confusion. In the USA, you can stay anonymous as long as you assign a Trust. She however signed the papers not knowing that she'd have to release her full information afterwards and is now suing to get this undone. The lottery says she can have the money right now - but she doesn't want it unless they allow her to assign a Trust. I highlighted the relevant part in the article for better visibility.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7488629b9edd

Tough decision. I would not want my name to be public. As a matter of fact, if I ever happen to be a lottery winner I would not tell anybody that I had won, not even my immediate family - short of maybe my parents whom I would trust to not talk about it.

What would you have done in this case?
    "Tough decision" ...what?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree the rule is stupid

Maybe read what you are signing first?