Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why i Think Legion Was so Well Received by Players...

I think secretly every player wanted WoW to "change" since WotlK.
    Some players dont know the reason why they stopped liking WoW as much as they used to.
    Thats because playing the same game for several years has consequences and even though people dont know it...they wanted "change".

What do i mean by "change"? Basically new types of gameplay. Something different.

I think the true reason why Cataclysm and WoD were not well received by the community was not because they were bad expansion. Not at all.
    Its because it was more of the same. And even though people dont know it, they are tired of the "same".

Then Legion came and it was like the resurrection of holy Christ with the many new features and systems.
    "Change" came. The thing everyone secretly wanted and didnt know.

I want to congratulate Blizzard on the good job they did. They trully made the game feel new and exciting.

But as a final note i want to say that we cant take this for granted. Legion was nice BUT we can't fall to the same mistakes all over again...
    We can't just make a copy of Legion and call it BfA. More "change" needs to come.
    My fear is that because Legion was so well received, Blizzard will think "well this is it. This is the formula we have been searching for. Lets copy it and call it BfA"

This cannot happen.
    Blizzard, keep doing what you did in Legion. Bringing "change" to the game. Don't copy it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think?
    Was Cataclysm and WoD trully bad? Or people were just looking for change without knowing it themselves?
    And then Legion came and everyone was happy without knowing why

Thats my Theory

I think World Quests almost single handedly saved WoW end game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mythic+ adds fantastic life to the game for a solo player

World quests and Mythic+ was good. M+ could have been done better tho.

Everything else about Legion was bad. Legendary system = major failure. AP = total failure. Titanforged = bad idea, best items shouldn't be possible from the easiest content(in theory).

Legion is the only expansion I stopped raiding after first raid and dind't want to come back. To my eyes, Legion shouldn't exist, and Bfa looks the same, just replace artifact with a necklace.
    Shaman since Vanilla. All the way !

Legion is terrible. They added a load of content and subs by the last time Blizzard commented on it are comparable to WoD. There is no way you can call Legion a success. They are currently at a point where the content has to be near perfect just to keep subs stable.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    There is no way you can call Legion a success.
    Besides the fact that.

1) Tons of people are playing it.
    2) Each quarter blizzard is making record profits.
    3) There has been no slow down of content (This mite change between now and BFA).

Ya no way Legion is a success at all. People come and people go the day's of WoW growing in subs by leaps and bounds is over. If blizzard is making record profits and tons are playing than its a success.

Ontopic: While Legion has it issues the core thing it did correctly was cater content to everyone and that's why it was a success. World Quests fixed a core issue with WoW and that was outdoor content being useless at max level. Now it isn't and blizzard is keeping the same system come BFA.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

7+ Year Old Account
    Too many world quests, and it becomes repetitive after going through the zone maybe 5-6 times, with no new experience. Got almost a million order resources on my shaman to say for that, but I think i'll run out in maybe a few months of the mission board if i don't keep doing them.
    M+ was ok, but fortified / tyrannical has to go. These 2 affixes don't make it fun at all, and heavily gate the progression of most m+ pushers. You don't see anyone pushing during tyrannical, and almost everyone's pages are full of one common affix: Fortified. The invitationals took these 2 affixes away in some cases making it more interesting at least. I also feel that damage the enemies do should not be scaled up evenly with their health, but a slightly less steep curve. Getting 1 shotted by unavoidable mechanics at higher keys makes it annoying.
    Raids were ... definitely not properly tested. (Note that i'll be talking about mythic here)
    EN - Super *!@%!( easy other than il'gynoth
    ToV: Only Helya was probably a problem once your raid learnt to go to markers on Odyn / Guarm
    NH: Finally a challenge! But still something wrong if people were only stuck on Star Augur for an immeasurable amount of time before finally first killing it with 2 healers? Also super guardian mark of usol meta while prot warrior in the bin.
    ToS: People stuck on maiden before the 180 crazyaf strat by method (it was fun to do too), than stuck on avatar before the nerf (again), than stuck on KJ until the nerf and crazy faction changing (like that guild that faction and race change to goblin for rocket jump)
    Atbt: Ok so if the first 9 bosses weren't worth jackall (lets not forget the full ranged comp on coven) and only got stuck on aggramar / argus, before killing aggramar with was it 4 demon hunters for darkness? Maybe you could distribute some of that difficulty elsewhere. Also Argus enrage on mythic seems a little insanely close.
    Class Halls: .... Where did they go when you went to argus? Apparently didn't care enough to reach out of azeroth.
    Still feels like there are many huge gaps in stories here and there too. Like there was a dreadlord summoned by gul'dan at the broken shore scenario but never seen ever again (possibly hiding still), while all the rest were killing (i don't really recall killing lord Jaraxxus again though)

Overall, probably played it mostly just for mythic raiding / m+. But those 2 have huge areas for improvement for legion. Hopefully they'll improve in BFA
    PS: Still wanting 10man raids back, or at least reduce 20 to 15.

Stack up or you get no heals! || Water control perfect, still can't attack with it
    Signature by Winter Blossom

Well, Cata is my personal favorite. (I rank by fun had per expansion)
    I would say that I've had nearly as much fun playing Legion as I had playing Cataclysm.
    Legion brought so much new stuff to the table including Outlaw rogue (my new favorite rogue spec), zone scaling, multi-tap mobs, multi-tap ore & herbs, and world quests.
    I would say the only things I didn't really like about Legion are the legendaries and the professions.
    Dear god, professions have been terrible since WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Besides the fact that.

1) Tons of people are playing it.
    Subs keep setting new lows with every xpac after Wrath until they just stopped reporting it.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Yes, i think WoD was truely bad. Cataclysm not so much. Cataclysm made some mistakes, but i can instantly think of more than 3 things i loved about it - WoD? Not so much. It was just a clusterfuck of bad ideas badly executed.

OT:
    I don't think the artefact weapon really enriched my personal gameplay a lot...or legendaries. Worldquests, however, definately did. If i imagine WoD with Wordlquests....would it have been any better? Probably, because they would have had to think about factions+quest locations more, which would have made the zones more interesting by default.

What i truely loved about Legion was the 7.0 + 7.1 content...so the questing zones+Suramar. What came after that was WoD-Level of content. It was shit. If WoD had a zone like Suramar, it would have been an average expansion and not the shit it was. At least for me. Legion without Suramar would not have been much better than WoD.

They should have called the expansion "Suramar", as far as i am concerned. It will be the only thing i remember Legion positively for.

Good to know that this content was designed only for one faction from the get go. It explaines a lot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Legion is terrible. They added a load of content and subs by the last time Blizzard commented on it are comparable to WoD. There is no way you can call Legion a success. They are currently at a point where the content has to be near perfect just to keep subs stable.
    Credit where credit is due please.

Legion was the first time where Blizzard tried TONS of new ideas.
    Class Halls
    World Quests
    M+
    Artifacts
    Legendaries
    Honor Talents

So many new things throwed at us. It was amazing, new and fresh.
    Ofcourse not all things turned out to be perfect BUT we have to give credit to the game designers who decided to try so many new things...for the first time.

15+ Year Old Account
    It really started out great but then become just as meh as the other ones. Bc is still my fav, but I would at least say the start of legion was the best it's been since vanilla.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoD and Cata were failures because they catered to the wrong group of players. Cata went for a "YEAH! EPICS SHOULD BE RARE, DUNGEONS SHOULD BE HARD!" approach that was followed with pretty mediocre raids. WoD went for a heavy nostalgia approach and followed with pretty mediocre everything. Legion introduced some good things. Mythic+, engaging raids, World Quests, and Titanforging. For all the whining about TF, if you have even a basic understanding of probability you'd see that TF is such a non-issue. It's fun outside of Mythic raiding, and if you're not raiding Mythic and think TF is a bad thing then quite simply put you just don't understand how the system works. Hence why it's staying.

People need to get over sub number fluctuations. It's going to happen. There is almost no new players, WoW is 12 years old and a hard sell. It costs more than a brand new game AND there is a sub fee. Players come back, players play, players leave, etc. That's how it's going to work until the end of WoW. They could release the best expansion possible and they're not going to get fresh blood into WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    WoD and Cata were failures because they catered to the wrong group of players. Cata went for a "YEAH! EPICS SHOULD BE RARE, DUNGEONS SHOULD BE HARD!" approach that was followed with pretty mediocre raids. WoD went for a heavy nostalgia approach and followed with pretty mediocre everything. Legion introduced some good things. Mythic+, engaging raids, World Quests, and Titanforging. For all the whining about TF, if you have even a basic understanding of probability you'd see that TF is such a non-issue. It's fun outside of Mythic raiding, and if you're not raiding Mythic and think TF is a bad thing then quite simply put you just don't understand how the system works. Hence why it's staying.

People need to get over sub number fluctuations. It's going to happen. There is almost no new players, WoW is 12 years old and a hard sell. It costs more than a brand new game AND there is a sub fee. Players come back, players play, players leave, etc. That's how it's going to work until the end of WoW. They could release the best expansion possible and they're not going to get fresh blood into WoW.
    So much damage control and mental gymnastics in one post. Impressive.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karzerus View Post
    So much damage control and mental gymnastics in one post. Impressive.
    Cool story, sorry I'm able to look at it logically. Next time I'll be sure to just have a whine about things that don't affect me at all.

Was it? I've never had so many friends and guild mates leave the game as in Legion.
    In WoD and others, people left when there was no content left to do, in Legion they left becuase the content was not good enough.

I'd take quality over quantity and Legion did not deliver there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I think World Quests almost single handedly saved WoW end game.
    I tend to agree.

After the great desert of nothing-much-to-do that was Warlords, Legion was pretty much the opposite. The WQ system, whatever its shortcomings, is a good and flexible frame that makes it easy to shuffle things in and out to keep players that simply want to play the game playing the game with a greater variety of stuff than was ever available previously.

Mythic+ dungeons played their part as well to keep small group activity buzzing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    WoD and Cata were failures because they catered to the wrong group of players. Cata went for a "YEAH! EPICS SHOULD BE RARE, DUNGEONS SHOULD BE HARD!" approach that was followed with pretty mediocre raids.
    A lot of people still think that T11/T12 were very good raid tiers, myself among them. The fact that T13 was....well, lacking is a nice word for it...shouldn't completely cancel that out. I still think that T11 was maybe the best tier ever. It's true that the experiment with heroic dungeons being much more difficult than most random groups could manage broke the game in a lot of permanent ways for people.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Personally, the only thing I really liked about Legion was the introduction of World Quests and the levelling experience. Especially the flexibility of the levelling. Other than that, it honestly hasn't grabbed me in much at all.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

Deleted
    Legion is true grind MMO expansion for true MMO player with OCD.
    Filling bars for AP, RNG above RNG - it just keeps people playing until some goal is reached. And there is another goal after that. And another...
    Only players who dont like it are players with little time on their hands and raid-loggers.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me, Legion was a success.
    Played through whole Expansion and never did I have "Nothing to do"