Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Alliance Allied Races- No Custom Models, Why?

Lets take a look at the Horde's allied races:

Highmountain Tauren: Same model as Tauren but with new horns. We'll call this a "reskin" race.
    Nightborne: Completely new model with a unique idle stance.
    Zandalari: Completely new model with some unique animations.
    Vulpera(possibly an allied race?): Completely new model with a unique sleep emote and idle stance (ear twitch).

Now lets take a look at the Alliance's allied races:

Void Elves: Same model as Blood Elves with new hair and beards. Reskinned race.
    Lightforged Draenei: Same model as Draenei with new crests, beards and runes.
    Dark Iron Dwarves: Same model as Dwarves with new beards and hair.

Isn't this a little loaded towards Hordeside? I like both sides allied races for what they are, but the novelty of "Blood Elves on Alliance" pales in comparison to the fact that so much detail was poured into the Horde races.

Why?

Yet Void Elves are the most popular Allied Race by a wide margin, despite the fact that their model is a 'recycle' (as if that were bad) of the Blood Elves'. They might not have a custom model, but their customization options, the hairstyles in particular, are vastly superior to any other Allied Race's.

My my, Nightborne players must be so satisfied by their miserable 3 skin tone options and their mastodontic eyes that look nothing like the Legion Nightborne NPCs! Hahahaha. The Nightborne model is so ugly that many players thought it was just an alpha placeholder, HILARIOUS!
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2018-02-08 at 05:04 PM.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren-dorei View Post
    Yet Void Elves are the most popular Allied Race by a wide margin, despite the fact that their model is a 'recycle' (as if that were bad) of the Blood Elves'. They might not have a custom model, but their customization options, the hairstyles in particular, are vastly superior to any other Allied Race's.

My my, Nightborne players must be satisfied by their miserable 3 skin tone options and their mastodontic eyes that look nothing like the Legion Nightborne NPCs! Hahahaha. The Nightborne model is so ugly that many players thought it was just an alpha placeholder, HILARIOUS!
    I'd appreciate it if you didn't try and shit up my thread with unrelated tribalism, thanks.

5+ Year Old Account
    Void elf most popular just couz 4 of their racial skills useful in pvp, while others allied races lucky if they have 2-3.
    Still didnt get why that lightforged draenei getting resistance to light while being a LIGHT themself, +1% holy damage or 2% resistance to darkness(fear) would be much better.

And srsly i would play PANDAREN with joy, if they would have any normal racial skills - as they are ATM fluffy model without any good racials.
    Last edited by cocomen2; 2018-02-08 at 05:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post
    Lets take a look at the Horde's allied races:

Highmountain Tauren: Same model as Tauren but with new horns. We'll call this a "reskin" race.
    Nightborne: Completely new model with a unique idle stance.
    Zandalari: Completely new model with some unique animations.
    Vulpera(possibly an allied race?): Completely new model with a unique sleep emote and idle stance (ear twitch).

Now lets take a look at the Alliance's allied races:

Void Elves: Same model as Blood Elves with new hair and beards. Reskinned race.
    Lightforged Draenei: Same model as Draenei with new crests, beards and runes.
    Dark Iron Dwarves: Same model as Dwarves with new beards and hair.

Isn't this a little loaded towards Hordeside? I like both sides allied races for what they are, but the novelty of "Blood Elves on Alliance" pales in comparison to the fact that so much detail was poured into the Horde races.

Why?
    Matters me none....I'm happy about getting Dark Iron dwarfs but a bit weirded out about the other 2 because they probably really...err holding back their disdain for each other but if we get kul tirans that will make up for them light folks and void folks.

I agree, hopefully we'll get Kul'Tiran humans and another race to compensate for it.

At least the alliance got work put into their models. The highmountain tauren and especially the nightborne are completely unfinished and barely have any customization options.

Lightforged have the tatoo amd rune options but also get jist 3 skin tones and not much variation in hair color either. Void elf seems to have more to offer.

7+ Year Old Account
    What the Horde getting better stuff than the Alliance Naaaah that'll never happen /s

It really just cements the feeling that Blizzard doesnt really know what to do with the Alliance and just makes its just a foil to whatever the Horde is doing, heck Kul Tiras isnt even that interesting compared to Zandalar and I main Alliance and with the possible coming of the Vulpera it seem Blizz really wants me to play Horde.

But I agree with most that Nightborne are really unfinshed and feel like the female Worgen all over again.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kul'tiran. That is all.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

How many threads we need about this exactly?
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

Deleted
    Hey, uh, Nightborne player here. Yes, i am very satisfied with the 3 skin tones and i see no issue with the eyes. I have no interest in any of the other Allied Races.
    Just... you know, people are different, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ren-dorei View Post
    My my, Nightborne players must be so satisfied by their miserable 3 skin tone options and their mastodontic eyes that look nothing like the Legion Nightborne NPCs! Hahahaha. The Nightborne model is so ugly that many players thought it was just an alpha placeholder, HILARIOUS!
    Hey, uh... Nightborne player here: Yes, i am very satisfied with the 3 skin tones, and i see no issue with the eyes. Currently, i have no interest in any of the other Allied Races.
    So, yea... Just, you know, people are different, right?

Deleted
    Technically no one got brand new models, zandalari have had that model since throne of thunder and nightborne were new models when they weren't a playable race. Even then, nightborne are just reskinned night elfs.

also, vulpera are not a horde allied race, they aren't even confirmed as an allied race, if they were to become one it is very likely they would be a neutral allied race and work similar to the pandaren.
    Last edited by mmoc1448478633; 2018-02-09 at 07:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karamaru View Post
    What the Horde getting better stuff than the Alliance Naaaah that'll never happen /s

It really just cements the feeling that Blizzard doesnt really know what to do with the Alliance and just makes its just a foil to whatever the Horde is doing, heck Kul Tiras isnt even that interesting compared to Zandalar and I main Alliance and with the possible coming of the Vulpera it seem Blizz really wants me to play Horde.

But I agree with most that Nightborne are really unfinshed and feel like the female Worgen all over again.
    Kul'Tiras is way more interesting, Drustvar, the first zone, is straight up a mesh of dragon age, witcher and van helsing stuff, and its REALLY dark, like... Im suprised at how dark and gory it is.

Zandalar is fun, but its just troll lore, its cool, and its unique, but to me Drustvar beats it.

It's simple. To save time, and keep things as accurate as possible.

In-game, the Allied Races chosen for the Alliance are all basically reskins anyway. The models we get to play are, of course, slightly different than the already established ones (as far as the Lightforged and Dark Irons), so it wouldn't have made much sense to outright change how they look in BfA. The Lightforged we play as are mostly the same as the NPC race (the tattoos are different). Since part of the idea of Allied Races is that we see them out in the world, then we get to play as them, it would be odd to change them completely.

Unlike on the Horde, where the Nightborne and Zandalari NPC races used more outdated tech - Nightborne NPC faces didn't have the newer facial rigging, and had older/missing animations, among pinching and clipping with their models. Thus, newer Nightborne had to be made, to make them usable as a player race, while still keeping their look (mostly) the same as the NPC race. Zandalari trolls from MoP were a unique rigging of Night Elf male animations, and didn't even have a female model. Just reskinning the Darkspear wouldn't have made the cut, because they look vastly different from one another. Thus, a new model had to be made.

Sure, it's boring, that I agree. But, it saved Blizzard time to be able to release the amount of them in the time that they did. I would have preferred Broken for the Alliance instead of Lightforged (and simply had those as customization options for the regular Draenei). All they really would have had to do is take the new model from Argus and make unique faces, make them able to wear gear/resize helms, and make a female model. Potentially less work than the Zandalari.

But, it's not all bad. Draenor Orcs were confirmed as the next Horde Allied Race. Really, those would just be reskins in the end, as well. Kul Tiran humans are speculated to be the next Alliance Allied Race. That would balance things out a bit. Hopefully Blizzard will listen to the community about Allied Races, since it's been quite mixed reviews from the announcement at Blizzcon.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

All of them seem to have the same wire frame as existing races. They all could use some more uniqueness if you ask me. I'm more mad that I get no new alliance druid races. Raptor form.

None of the new races have new models. They are reskinned models of current races. The Vulpera are just reskinned Goblins.

herp derp

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaimen View Post
    I'm more mad that I get no new alliance druid races.
    IKR. Still hoping we get a new Druid race announced for Ally.

Deleted
    I don't understand all the Zandalari hype, frankly.
    Ok, they're not hunched (although only the males were), they have a Night Elf skeleton and recycled animations borrowed from other existing races. They're still Trolls though, so they look pretty bad in most amor models. Boots don't cover their huge ugly feet, and most helms look terrible on them. At the end of the day their most significant difference from the main race is their posture.
    I'm sure my opinion will not be popular since here most of you think they are the second coming of Jesus, but they still look pretty meh to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavin View Post
    I don't understand all the Zandalari hype, frankly.
    Ok, they're not hunched (although only the males were), they have a Night Elf skeleton and recycled animations borrowed from other existing races. They're still Trolls though, so they look pretty bad in most amor models. Boots don't cover their huge ugly feet, and most helms look terrible on them. At the end of the day their most significant difference from the main race is their posture.
    I'm sure my opinion will not be popular since here most of you think they are the second coming of Jesus, but they still look pretty meh to me.
    For me, it's less how they look, and more about their lore. I do think they look better than the Darkspear (and I overall enjoy how Trolls look anyway), but I just really like the Zandalari aesthetic of golden Aztec/Mayan designs and a more "noble" version of generic troll stuff. Considering we get three zones in their homeland as well, I'm pretty excited to play as one. But, if you're not a fan of troll stuff anyway, I can understand your point of view.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    For me, it's less how they look, and more about their lore. I do think they look better than the Darkspear (and I overall enjoy how Trolls look anyway), but I just really like the Zandalari aesthetic of golden Aztec/Mayan designs and a more "noble" version of generic troll stuff. Considering we get three zones in their homeland as well, I'm pretty excited to play as one. But, if you're not a fan of troll stuff anyway, I can understand your point of view.
    I mean I don't mind them, and of course I will unlock them because I'm a completist (but I don't plan to play one, no). I just don't understand why they seem to be the most exciting allied race here on the forums while no one seem to give a damn about Dark Iron Dwarves instead, which also carry with them a substantial amount of lore.