Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    [/B]

This is not correct, your body actually signals you to keep drinking when you're already drinking too much. It causes a lot of deaths in backpackers, they believe they are dehydrated even though they have been chugging water. The symptoms for hyponatremia(too much water) are very similar to dehydration.

Of course this is in extreme cases and a gallon of water is nowhere near that.
    It depends how quick you drink it too. If I drink 2 litres in 6 hours then nothing will happen, if I drink 2 litres in 5 minutes then there's going to be problems. My mate was busy in work one day and didn't drink all morning and trying to make up for this he downed a litre, he felt very ill afterwards and almost had to go home.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've started doing the same thing recently, gave up soda and such. Water all day, erry' day.

Well, I allow myself a cup of coffee in the morning. But then water!

Deleted
    Most of the water a human needs is gained through food.

Forcing oneself to drink liters a day is really not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    It depends how quick you drink it too. If I drink 2 litres in 6 hours then nothing will happen, if I drink 2 litres in 5 minutes then there's going to be problems. My mate was busy in work one day and didn't drink all morning and trying to make up for this he downed a litre, he felt very ill afterwards and almost had to go home.
    Yes, of course time is always the relevant parameter. I could say I've drank 10 gallons of water. Without a parameter, that might sound bad. Turns out it was over 2 weeks time. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post

We're not lions buddy. The more you eat the more water you should drink because digesting food uses up a lot of water

The shit you read online.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    We're not lions buddy. The more you eat the more water you should drink because digesting food uses up a lot of water
    oh dear god.

almost all of the food you eat is water.

Like that stuff other people dive into.

Don't give up your day job.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    The shit you read online.
    give it a google. i dare you.

oh dear god.

Ok buddy, good luck with getting the required amount of water for a human through food intake. Rofl.

Deleted
    Ok buddy, good luck with getting the required amount of water for a human through food intake. Rofl.
    feels over science is always best eh?

Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    The wisest thing Ive heard regarding this subject is: listen to your body. If you feel dry mouthed or thirst then you should drink some water. Otherwise you are probably fine.

Another metric comes in urine. If what comes out feels like its burning and has a strong smell and deep colour, then you probably need more water.

It is possible to drink too much but for it to be of concern takes some rather extreme conditions. It happens but its rare.

Most people drink too little and I think its safer to go over a bit. You are just going to pee it out any way and wont cause much harm. Develope some self control and educate your body a bit. I thru the hole day but I never force myself to do it. Listen to your body, mother nature forged a wise system thru the anvil of evolution, heed its warnings.
    Not a great idea to wait for signs of dehydration before you start having a drink. A few tall glasses a day is fine. And eating doritos like Dkwhyevernot is suggesting is not enough either

- - - Updated - - -

feels over science is always best eh?
    humans are 65% water. And you think you can get enough by just eating. You missed basic school level biology I see

Deleted
    Not a great idea to wait for signs of dehydration before you start having a drink. A few tall glasses a day is fine. And eating doritos like Dkwhyevernot is suggesting is not enough either

- - - Updated - - -

humans are 65% water. And you think you can get enough by just eating. You missed basic school level biology I see
    I have a double degree in physics and astrophysics, i'll manage.

I have a double degree in physics and astrophysics, i'll manage.
    Why do I feel dehydated after eating a big steak then mr physics?

Deleted
    Why do I feel dehydated after eating a big steak then mr physics?
    because you and/or the chef adds a lot of salt. Steaks are generally 80% (ish) water by mass after cooking.

I'm not suggesting you don't drink any water. I'm just pointing out that in a temperate environment, drinking large amounts is not required, as most of the water your body needs is obtained through the food you eat.
    Last edited by mmocf0b29d4c77; 2018-02-08 at 08:18 PM.

I used to drink about a gallon and a half every day but I'd use additives like apple cider vinegar (which tastes like tree piss). I didn't mind it really, but I've always been the kind of person who doesn't put much value in food for enjoyments sake. Not a foodie by any means, I could live off plain oatmeal for every meal if need be. I stopped drinking as much water a couple years back and slid into old bad habits like drinking soda, I get a shitload of headaches now, probably gonna go back to only drinking water here soon.

10+ Year Old Account

You get -some- hydration through food, assuming you actually eat the types of food that lend themselves to hydration e.g, various fruits/vegetables and potentially meats (if they aren't marinated/salted/etc)

You certainly don't get "most" of it.

No average person needs to drink gallons a day, but a liter or two of water is what you should have more or less.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    You get -some- hydration through food, assuming you actually eat the types of food that lend themselves to hydration e.g, various fruits/vegetables and potentially meats (if they aren't marinated/salted/etc)

You certainly don't get "most" of it.

No average person needs to drink gallons a day, but a liter or two of water is what you should have more or less.
    Unless you live on crackers, most of the water your body needs is gained from the food you eat. Not all, just most.

If one suffers dehydration a lot, living in a temperate environment, with a sedentary occupation, you should seek medical advice as it could be a symptom of something like type 2 diabetes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    Sounds like you need to try a different steak tbh. Never felt this way before.

I end up going through Aquifina 24 packs about every 3-4 days. I don't think it's too much water. Water is just good and you can generally drink as much as you want.
    Within reason, yes. There have been cases in the uk of clubbers on ecstasy dieing due to drinking too much water, their brain expanding causing pressure in the skull. Takes a fair bit of drinking to do this however.

oh dear god.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

give it a google. i dare you.
    Saying "google it" isn't really a good counter argument to my statement. I'm sure there are articles about the benefits of butt chugging water. Doesn't mean it makes it fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Creased xD

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I don't mind drinking the water. Its all I drink. No sodas, no nothing.

But damn I have to take a full on piss every hour.

Im currently drinking about 120 oz a day. (about 1 gallon)

Is that normal for that much water?
    I love how OP write first in oz and then to make it more clear he converts it to gallons. Ever heard of liters?

I have bo idea how much is 1 gallon, but i know that i drink over 2l of water a day and compared to other people around me, i'm at the top of drinking pyramid

the only time i ever drink water by itself is maybe at a drinks break during cricket on the weekend. otherwise it's cordial.

other than that, i guess i get my water through food/beer/softdrink

i'm still alive. i guess it's the same crap as having to eat lots of vegies/fruit, and milk.

about having to piss alot, if i go out i'd have a few beers, then i'd be pissing every beer after those first few