Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Fitzherbert View Post
    Just got to high rank and the game is getting annoying. There are so many different armor pieces with even so many different stats and skills.... I'm completely lost. Watched hours of guides on crafting and still I have no clue where to begin, other than maybe to just craft it all. But then I wouldn't know what to equip. So here I am, wearing the Bone set at lvl 3, getting shredded by monsters left and right
    Ahah, be more chillax about it
    Just look at the ammount of "armor" it gives you.

I have a set that gives insane protection against fire (by coincidence because i was just looking for "armor" bonus) and insane weakness to thunder.
    I just keep using the same armor no matter what.
    I will have to fight Kirin at some point (thunder monsters) and im pretty sure i wil have difficulties with my armor.
    But i will do it either way.

If i find it impossible (which i doubt) then i will change armor. But is not mandatory.

Just chillax and pick what gives you the most armor Leave to pro stuff to when you finish the story.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2018-02-08 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    So waiiiiiiit, you have to actually micromanage gear (due to resists, etc) for each different monster at higher levels? That sucks, drops nuclear bomb on pacing and generally is just shit design. :/ I don't want to manage 10 sets and equip them based on what monster I feel like killing, what is this XX century design?..
    You don't "have" to, as others have said, it's an option that gives you a bit of an advantage when fighting higher level monsters but if you're decently skilled and patient, those resists don't really mean much if you're not getting hit. I've seen several posts on several sites that mention most people simply making a set they like the look of or the bonuses it gives and upgrading it constantly and they perform just fine.

As the Angry Joe review said too, there's not even an explanation in game for what all that shit means or how it affects your game play anyway and the difference seems so slight that there's not really an observable difference either.

The only thing I'd recommend doing is having several weapons (of whatever weapons you favor) with different elemental affinities because I absolutely noticed a difference when fighting the Anjanath (I know, way early, but still...noticed an affect). I tried and failed a couple times with a basic no affinity weapon, then I farmed up the mats to make a Water affinity weapon and noticed a huge difference in damage done and how often I dazed, knocked down and otherwise caused the beast to falter. Fight was way easier, still challenging, but not nearly as nail biting and frenetic as before.

Skill, patience and good judgement go MUCH farther than gear in this game....good gear just makes it so you can make more mistakes/ take more hits before you "faint." There is a breaking point though, so don't think you can just wear your Bone armor forever, but you don't need to min max your gear sets and optimize for everything to be successful or enjoy your forays out into this beautiful world.

Downed Pink Rathian last night after many deaths over the past week (made a dragon bone lance II and used that on her face)...then proceeded to curb stomp Nergigante with my Datura pike I. In fact he died of poison while I was running away to heal.

I saw azure rathalos and noped the fuck out of there once he saw me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    Downed Pink Rathian last night after many deaths over the past week (made a dragon bone lance II and used that on her face)...then proceeded to curb stomp Nergigante with my Datura pike I. In fact he died of poison while I was running away to heal.

I saw azure rathalos and noped the fuck out of there once he saw me.
    Azure is more of a pain than an actual threat. Constantly moving and in the air. Overall its attacks are no diff than a Rathalos who didnt take its Ritalin

is the game easy to get started with, like for a complete noob? never played any of these games...

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Azure is more of a pain than an actual threat. Constantly moving and in the air. Overall its attacks are no diff than a Rathalos who didnt take its Ritalin
    I've noticed Azure Rath' actually goes to sleep a lot on the map. Time was you had to lure them in by picking up and smashing wyvernn eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Ahah, be more chillax about it
    Just look at the ammount of "armor" it gives you.

I have a set that gives insane protection against fire (by coincidence because i was just looking for "armor" bonus) and insane weakness to thunder.
    I just keep using the same armor no matter what.
    I will have to fight Kirin at some point (thunder monsters) and im pretty sure i wil have difficulties with my armor.
    But i will do it either way.

If i find it impossible (which i doubt) then i will change armor. But is not mandatory.

Just chillax and pick what gives you the most armor Leave to pro stuff to when you finish the story.
    Yea, I know... but still have a hard time just crafting it. I also can't find how the defense value actually works. Like right now I have 58 defense from the level 3 Bone Armor and 10 resistance in fire/lightning/dragon. Would changing to some high rank armor with 180 defense and -20 lightning, still give me better defense against lightning? Or does defense only help against physical damage? It's pretty hard to find actual numbers on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    You don't "have" to, as others have said, it's an option that gives you a bit of an advantage when fighting higher level monsters but if you're decently skilled and patient, those resists don't really mean much if you're not getting hit. I've seen several posts on several sites that mention most people simply making a set they like the look of or the bonuses it gives and upgrading it constantly and they perform just fine.

As the Angry Joe review said too, there's not even an explanation in game for what all that shit means or how it affects your game play anyway and the difference seems so slight that there's not really an observable difference either.

The only thing I'd recommend doing is having several weapons (of whatever weapons you favor) with different elemental affinities because I absolutely noticed a difference when fighting the Anjanath (I know, way early, but still...noticed an affect). I tried and failed a couple times with a basic no affinity weapon, then I farmed up the mats to make a Water affinity weapon and noticed a huge difference in damage done and how often I dazed, knocked down and otherwise caused the beast to falter. Fight was way easier, still challenging, but not nearly as nail biting and frenetic as before.

Skill, patience and good judgement go MUCH farther than gear in this game....good gear just makes it so you can make more mistakes/ take more hits before you "faint." There is a breaking point though, so don't think you can just wear your Bone armor forever, but you don't need to min max your gear sets and optimize for everything to be successful or enjoy your forays out into this beautiful world.
    phew, that's a relief
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Fitzherbert View Post
    Yea, I know... but still have a hard time just crafting it. I also can't find how the defense value actually works. Like right now I have 58 defense from the level 3 Bone Armor and 10 resistance in fire/lightning/dragon. Would changing to some high rank armor with 180 defense and -20 lightning, still give me better defense against lightning? Or does defense only help against physical damage? It's pretty hard to find actual numbers on this.
    As far as i understand some attacks are "physical" and some attacks have "element damage".
    For example if you get hit with a tackle from Tobi-Kadashi all you need is "defense".
    But if you get hit by the "thunder tail attack" you need thunder resistance...and maybe some defense also.

I cant tell you for sure what is best, because i dont know how it works either with "elemental attacks". Maybe you need both defense and resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Canox View Post
    is the game easy to get started with, like for a complete noob? never played any of these games...
    Yes this may be the most noob friendly MH made.

- - - Updated - - -

Reminder: Also this is the last day to get the Horizon Zero Dawn gear for your cat.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Canox View Post
    The game is not really complex. It is basically fight stronger monster until you get the hang of it (movemet and attack patterns) and slay em. Otherwise you die a lot. It is a game that requires practise. If you hate games that require you to learn through defeat (rogue like, Dark Souls etc.) then it is likely that you wont find fun in MH.

Some of the stuff people were struggling with sounds like things you learn pretty quick in dark souls.

Like size doesnt much shit, sometimes the safest place is up close in their face

And its not how you roll but WHEN you roll.

One thing I need to improve upon is items...flashpods, dungpods, barrel bombs, traps, demondrugs, things like that. I've pretty much gone in with potions and antidotes. That's about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing I need to improve upon is items...flashpods, dungpods, barrel bombs, traps, demondrugs, things like that. I've pretty much gone in with potions and antidotes. That's about it.
    Tbh you don't really need much of that at all until you get to the tougher HR monsters and even then they aren't *required*.

They do make things considerably easier when used correctly though for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Yes this may be the most noob friendly MH made.

- - - Updated - - -

Reminder: Also this is the last day to get the Horizon Zero Dawn gear for your cat.
    So glad I got it done in time...Haven't been able to play much since I bought the game...but made sure to get it done the other day lol. Although im not sure I'll want to Aloy skin...feels like it would break the "immersion" for me.

- - - Updated - - -

That's something I need to work on as well, but I think my bigger issue has been learning the monsters habits. I'm starting to get the hang of it in the Rotten Vale. That monster you need to kill in there during the expedition took forever though >.<. I think I may finally farm some stuff for weapons though. Think I'm at a point where getting a stronger weapon may be more beneficial than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    As far as i understand some attacks are "physical" and some attacks have "element damage".
    For example if you get hit with a tackle from Tobi-Kadashi all you need is "defense".
    But if you get hit by the "thunder tail attack" you need thunder resistance...and maybe some defense also.

I cant tell you for sure what is best, because i dont know how it works either with "elemental attacks". Maybe you need both defense and resistance.
    Well... I did it! Took me 8 days, but I got over it and crafted some gear. Where a simple back kick from HR Anja would almost kill me before, it now just tickles. Suddenly the game is a lot more fun again now that a monster simply staring at me doesn't take away 75%+ of my health.

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    That sucks, drops nuclear bomb on pacing and generally is just shit design.
    Having choices that make an impact is shit design?

Okay...

Silly opinions aside, those just give an edge. You can do pretty much the whole game with no gear beyond a weapon with enough skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    Having choices that make an impact is shit design?

Okay...

Silly opinions aside, those just give an edge. You can do pretty much the whole game with no gear beyond a weapon with enough skill.
    Well, there are videos of kicking to death monsters so even a weapon isn't technically required XD
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    And its not how you roll but WHEN you roll.
    Mostly - There are certain avoidance techniques like the superman dive that require moving in the right direction along with timing. Also, without skills that up the iframe window the timing is tighter (or the attack might have an additional shockwave component like with Nergigante) so you prob want to get accustomed to rolling in the best direction along with the right timing.

10+ Year Old Account
    So MHW is starting to bleed into other aspects of my life. I lead a lot of D&D groups and i have been tasked to come up with a 5e Monster Hunter conversion....Super excited about the idea of having a group of D&D players roleplay through combat against a Rath or Diablos but obviously will start them on an easier mob...
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.