Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    "Information is power, but like all power there are some people who want to keep it for themselves" - Aaron Swartz

- - - Updated - - -

Lol ministry of truth sounds like something out of harry potter. Nice one ^^
    Was thinking more 1984 but HP reference sort of works too.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Information is power, but like all power there are some people who want to keep it for themselves" - Aaron Swartz
    Yes, and with great power comes great responsabilities, like that guy said... The problem is that those propagating falsehoods in social media are facing no consequences for it. It is time to civilize the Internet.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Yes, and with great power comes great responsabilities, like that guy said... The problem is that those propagating falsehoods in social media are facing no consequences for it. It is time to civilize the Internet.
    Sounds awfully authoritarian. I wouldnt vote for that

Deleted
    How ironic that the far-left Liberal mindset is so similar to the mindset of the Nazi party.

Now before you all attack me, I despise politics, I do not care about politics, I do not support any political party or any country in the world.

I simply support the human race.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as it makes you unable to keep posting your fake news here im good.
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by OTG View Post
    How ironic that the far-left Liberal mindset is so similar to the mindset of the Nazi party.

Now before you all attack me, I despise politics, I do not care about politics, I do not support any political party or any country in the world.

I simply support the human race.
    There's nothing liberal about the far left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats the core issue right there. Education/peoples intelligence needs to be improved not shutting people down for having incorrect opinions
    Fake news is not about "incorrect opinions". It's about propagating false informations about events that never happened, or falsifying the facts. And as I said, there are still no consequences for that in social media, unlike newspapers and other official media. A lie is spreading, and even when it is rectified, it continues to spread in one form or another. "Lie and lie again, something will always remain," like the proverb says.

Fake news are an infection. It festers and corrupts the democratic process. In the end, no one will trust anything, or will only trust what appeals to them. Information is essential to democracy. Without it, it becomes easy for any dictator to take power. That's why dictators always attack the press first, by either controling it directly or disparaging it.

Education is important, of course. However, the mass of "info" that is available makes it difficult to separate the wheat from the tares. Very few people will take the time to verify the information. The best thing, really, is to stop reading anything from Facebook. Most of the things published there is rubbish anyway.

Fake news is not about "incorrect opinions". It's about propagating false informations about events that never happened, or falsifying the facts. And as I said, there are still no consequences for that in social media, unlike newspapers and other official media. A lie is spreading, and even when it is rectified, it continues to spread in one form or another. "Lie and lie again, something will always remain," like the proverb says.

Fake news are an infection. It festers and corrupts the democratic process. In the end, no one will trust anything, or will only trust what appeals to them. Information is essential to democracy. Without it, it becomes easy for any dictator to take power. That's why dictators always attack the press first, by either controling it directly or disparaging it.

Education is important, of course. However, the mass of "info" that is available makes it difficult to separate the wheat from the tares. Very few people will take the time to verify the information. The best thing, really, is to stop reading anything from Facebook. Most of the things published there is rubbish anyway.
    Fake news is a meme spread by a pop icon president. Clickbait was around before him. It will be around after him. Im not in a hurry to hand over more policing of speech to the government because some idiots get upset reading an article on an optional social media site.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds awfully authoritarian. I wouldnt vote for that
    Newspapers, tv, radio are all reglemented. If a reporter write something that didn't happen or falsify the facts, there will be consequences for him. No right goes without limitation. There is no reason the Internet should not be submitted to the same regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Imagine getting your political opinions on facebook. Any piece of information you could find on there will be bias to either side.
    All "news" is twisted to fit someones agenda. It's up to the people to go out and educate them self about a topic if they wish.

Bill Clinton is a rapist.

You can call that fake news, but if you did your research.. you'd discover some truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fake news is a meme spread by a pop icon president. Clickbait was around before him. It will be around after him. Im not in a hurry to hand over more policing of speech to the government because some idiots get upset reading an article on an optional social media site.
    I never mentionned the Man-With-the-Improbable-Hairstyle. Of course, it existed before him. No reason not to address the issue.

Newspapers, tv, radio are all reglemented. If a reporter write something that didn't happen or falsify the facts, there will be consequences for him. No right goes without limitation. There is no reason the Internet should not be submitted to the same regulations.
    Like when they said Trump removed the bust of M.L.King

The internet is not taken seriously at high social levels. You cannot quote the internet as reference for a university paper.

The anonymous nature of the internet makes it different from a newscaster or reporter who have a face and represent an institute or business and are claiming to report on the news. Everyone should double/triple check sources for information and know the difference between opinion and fact. Education my love.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2018-02-10 at 08:26 PM.

Every news media company is guilty of reporting something without all the information or false information. This isn't a facebook problem. It's a problem with ALL the media.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    You have right to free speech, you do not have a right to a platform. You have countless of other avenues to express your free speech than this.
    This would apply provided it was private company denying someone rights to post, but here we have the public government telling private companies which kind of speech they should allow and which they shouldn't. That's pretty much limiting freedom of speech and quite authoritan I would say. Now of course there's reasons why such should be done sometimes in cases like outright spreading ideology that tells others to commit crimes, but manipulating people with propaganda on the other hand.. They could ban almost every fucking political party with this ruling. Question is where are people willing to put the line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    watch miki dominate when he left scum
    He went to Arsenal and said that Wenger didn't expect as much from him as Mourinho. He's just a softie and fits quite well with other softies at Arsenal.

Yes... YES!

Can't have those goodest, most obedient of Canadian Liberals possibly being exposed to Wrong-Think™ via Facebook. They NEED to be told how to think, what to feel... But only through us!

I mean, afterall, anyone who disagrees with any part of Liberal Doctrine is a racist, sexist, homophobic alt-right neo-nazi. You wouldn't want to accidentally be labeled that or anything, right?

It's not even a meme anymore, we full 1488 now boys. Funny part is, if Trump had said something like this, all the Trudeau apologists would be screeching "fascism!" at the top of their lungs. Just goes to show who the real fascists really are
    Last edited by SupBrah; 2018-02-10 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luc54 View Post
    This would apply provided it was private company denying someone rights to post, but here we have the public government telling private companies which kind of speech they should allow and which they shouldn't.
    Good thing corporations aren't people in Canada.

That's pretty much limiting freedom of speech and quite authoritan I would say.
    EVERY country has limits to free speech, including the so called free speech utopia known as U.S.

I find it interesting that there are some people who are actually okay with facebook allowing actual fake news (or falsehoods) to be posted online. Let us be honest, majority of people who use social media only read 1 or 2 sources on an event, and they tend to be within their on personal bias. So if something matches their view, regardless if it is true or not, they will believe it. Just take the anti-vaxxers crowd. They continue to dismiss the science that shows that their view is false, yet they believe the fake science that supports them.

False information is a disease. Once it is on the internet, it will continue to spread.

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    Yes... YES!

Can't have those goodest, most obedient of Canadian Liberals possibly being exposed to Wrong-Think™ via Facebook. They NEED to be told how to think, what to feel... But only through us!

I mean, afterall, anyone who disagrees with any part of Liberal Doctrine is a racist, sexist, homophobic alt-right neo-nazi. You wouldn't want to accidentally be labeled that or anything, right?

It's not even a meme anymore, we full 1488 now boys. Funny part is, if Trump had said something like this, all the Trudeau apologists would be screeching "fascism!" at the top of their lungs. Just goes to show who the real fascists really are
    Isnt it great! They are copying the genius of North Korea, limit news and control what information is ok.

Canada will be winning the world cup like North Korea in no time!

how about when facebook had trending that Republicans were giving nazi salutes @ the convention?