Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    I wasn't saying that, i said that if you can't use it properly or don't like it you'd better pick another talent

- - - Updated - - -

For the power it gives you in exchange for unneeded mobility (yes, i know, it's shocking, but you don't have to move 100% of boss length) it's a great trade off. You also isn't pinned to the spot like hunters were with sniper mastery, you have about 10 yards range to walk around, which is a lot of space.

I still not buy this "mages are most mobile and giving them option to temporarily limit their operation range in exchange for giant DPS boost is shitty idea". Like, seriously?
    It's an uninspired and lazy talent exactly because it's a cookie cutter pick more often than not. It's clunky in the way it changes your gameplay or even detracts from it.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    It's an uninspired and lazy talent exactly because it's a cookie cutter pick more often than not. It's clunky in the way it changes your gameplay or even detracts from it.
    This must be some sort of bait.
    You're saying something is uninspired because it's "cookie cutter"? How does that even make sense when rune came out people were happy with it because you didn't have to sit there and evo to get a buff. Rune is only clunky if you're a bad player that doesn't know the mechanics of a fight. If you want to play a retard spec were you just press what lights up you should probably try out ass rogue then you only have 3 buttons you know since you don't want to ruin your gameplay with gameplay.

From what I see on the forums, the opinions on RoP are pretty split. Some people hate it, some people love it.

I personally love the visual and what the talent rewards. If you know the mechanics and timings of a fight very well, rune of power can be very fun to use. But there are some fights where you'll just get fucked right out of your rune of power usage, which is why some people opt to go incanter's flow on some fights... AND IT'S PERFECTLY VIABLE

The two talents are pretty balanced in terms of single target right now for fire. So I don't really see why people are hating on it so much. It's 10 seconds of standing in a 'general' area. You have quite a large area to move around within the rune to avoid shit on the ground.

Lastly, it provides such good utility for on demand burst in both aoe and single target. It's extremely satisfying lining up a bracer proc with a rune of power or lining it up with the imps on portal keeper to get some good extra damage outside of your combustion.

Rune of power can be very rewarding or punishing based on how you use it, but most of the time the punishing part doesn't come from rng like a lot of the other things in this game. It rewards you with how and when you use it. How is this terrible design exactly?

I do not see the issue with Rop. High risk, High reward. Period, l2p.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    The problem is that it's just objectively better than the other choices in the row while carrying a clunky gameplay pattern. It's nothing about l2p, it's just not a fun talent given how strong it is.
    BfA Beta Time

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    The problem is that it's just objectively better than the other choices in the row while carrying a clunky gameplay pattern. It's nothing about l2p, it's just not a fun talent given how strong it is.
    Fun is subjective. I find it to be fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumrocks View Post
    What will happen with RoP in BfA?
    It will stay, of course. I bet my mage-hood on it.
    Should I be wrong then I shall conjure food and drink for everyone involved.
    if they remove the cast time and made it usable while casting, i'd have no issues with it staying

I would be happier if the talent row was reworked to offer different variations of Mirror Image.
    IF and RoP are just there to enhance CD's and will be picked on the merit of Sims.
    Once you understand that RoP is just a CD to be stacked it becomes a non issue, its not like you will be moving much during your IV, AP or Combustion when you pick IF so RoP should be no different.
    While MI sims the lowest it has something stand out visually from the others.

ya make it last 11.5 seconds and be an instant cast and i'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrostorm9001 View Post
    I would be happier if the talent row was reworked to offer different variations of Mirror Image.
    IF and RoP are just there to enhance CD's and will be picked on the merit of Sims.
    Once you understand that RoP is just a CD to be stacked it becomes a non issue, its not like you will be moving much during your IV, AP or Combustion when you pick IF so RoP should be no different.
    While MI sims the lowest it has something stand out visually from the others.
    Why would it need a huge rework. You have MI for ST, IF for multi target and RoP as a high risk, high reward option. I think this is a very well thought out talent tier and the only thing it needs is a little buff to MI, so it's a viable choice.
    Also RoP doesn't just stand out visually (it'S a huge rune FFS!) it also alters playstyle significantly.

Still most of the top parses for fire are done with if, that means that dps gain from rop is totally negligible
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Honestly I thought the talent was fine when it lasted longer, you could cast two, and had a wider radius. It felt more like setting yourself up for success getting everything ready before the fight, and it was still somewhat restricting. I realize that part of the reason they did away with all of that was so that players wouldn't feel forced to use it.

If you use it now, it's the high skill req talent of the three, yes, and it looks cool and mage-like, but compared to how gameplay has evolved over the last couple expansions it just doesn't really fit anymore:

1. Current encounter design philosophy: Most/all fights are now heavily focused on movement in raids and dungeons.
    2. Impracticality: At least two mage specs are entirely reliant on burst windows--if you happen to use RoP when a boss starts something that forces you to move (highly likely based on current fight design), you fuck up a huge percentage of output due to situations largely out of your ability to predict--and you may likely not be able to cast it again after or miss your damage window on Icy Veins, Combustion, or Arcane Power. Also, there are fights where the tank will just move the fight out of range--sometimes for good reasons, sometimes not so much. It does work for some with practice, and if I'm really playing my best I can do it, but to me it doesn't feel good or exciting, it feels like a limitation.
    2. Larger gameplay design trend: Many current mage spells (baseline, or when combined with realistic use talents), are instant or on-the-move usable. Most classes, even casters, have expanded greatly in the instant or move casting ability area. This approach is really just more modern as we look at cross-over design influence from things like MOBAs, ARPGs, etc. (Not saying this is always right, but that it's definitely a trend, both outside and in WoW).

So, my thoughts:

1. Maybe return it to some or all of its original functionality (it lasted longer, you could cast two, and had a wider radius). Ok, some of this was changed after it was first implemented, but this specific set of functionality. This would allow for actual planning ahead, setting up spaces based on how you think the fight will progress, vs. being purely reactionary.
    2. Maybe remove it from talents and make it baseline and do something different, something less important but still useful. For instance: Maybe it keeps the small radius but it lasts the old 60 seconds. But instead of a damage increase, it can refresh mage barriers, or offer mana regeneration, or reset select cooldowns (like blink or counterspell) every ten seconds (thereby acting as a way of correcting mistakes), or maybe revise it more defensively and let it prevent spell locking (niche application), provide a small percentage damage reduction, or something--you could plant it somewhere, not have to stand in it the entire time, but return to it as needed for a service.

I guess going forward it either needs to be very useful or not useful if its just a straight damage augmentation. If it's only a slight gain, it will just be a waste of design space as players will mostly just choose the slightly less powerful mobile versions to make increasingly mobile gameplay more bearable.
    Last edited by Magistrate; 2018-02-15 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Still most of the top parses for fire are done with if, that means that dps gain from rop is totally negligible
    So why the big fuss then?

So why the big fuss then?
    That talent slot could be used for a more fun/useful/situational talent instead of that crap (same goes for UM)
    Last edited by D3athsting; 2018-02-15 at 06:36 PM.
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by davesignal View Post
    Fun is subjective. I find it to be fun.
    You only find it “fun” because it’s the objectively best option. If Mirror Images or Incanter’s Flow were superior you wouldn’t even LOOK at Rune of Power.
    Last edited by Nefarious Tea; 2018-02-15 at 10:22 PM.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    That talent slot could be used for a more fun/useful/situational talent instead of that crap (same goes for UM)
    I find it fun, and it perfectly fits Arcane gameplay and thematic which I play.

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    You only find it “fun” because it’s the objectively best option. If Mirror Images or Incanter’s Flow were superior you would even LOOK at Rune of Power.
    No, actually, I find it fun because it fits well into the whole image of Arcane. I like the concept of throwing a big glowing piece of runework on the ground, I like how it concentrates power into the burn phase, I like how it lines up with Mark of Aluneth (which, unfortunately, is not carrying over to BFA).

I like the spell. Hell, I just tweeted the devs to suggest they make it baseline for Arcane because it fits the Arcane kit and feel so well, and because Frost and Fire loathe it as a talent.

I am still waiting for a talent that rewards being active and playing instead of setting up timers and warnings via mods.

You're playing the wrong game, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    as it should be. It's an active ability that you have to plan around to take full advantage. It should be the best choice if used to max effectiveness. If you can't do that then IF will be better for you either way.

And atm the only reason it can be way better is because of the 4pc tier set and leggo bracers.

I find when not using it I feel like I'm naked and fire becomes a lot less fun, imo.
    Last edited by Zelion; 2018-02-16 at 08:05 PM.