Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Restaurant appeals to consumer base due to declining sales and market trends

more news at 11

Now Ollie with the weather

ITS A HURRICANE!

Ty Ollie.
    Except is isn't. If they wanted to appeal to their consumer base they would add more healthy items (if that's why they think they are seeing declining business), not remove other items. Nobody is going to say they removed a cheeseburger as an option for a Happy Meal, I cant wait to finally go back to McDonalds now!!!'

In my opinion, the reason they are seeing declining sales comes down to 2 things.

1. Prices keep climbing - A Big Mac meal at my nearest McDonalds (and not near a tourist area) is now $7.29 for a small combo (and they then have the balls to charge a dime for each ketchup packet if you want more than 1 and they only give you 1 napkin). I can go to several different diners or bars that serve food and get a fresh cooked to order quarter pound burger with fries for just about $1 more. Why would someone want to go get a shitty thrown together burger made with components that have been sitting in warming drawers for 30 minutes, when you can get a fresh made much better burger for barely any more. Also for breakfast they charge almost $6 for an egg mcmuffin hash brown and coffee, and I can go to several local diners and get 2 eggs made to order, home fries, 2 slices of toast, and coffee for $2.49 and its all hot and fresh made.

2. Customer Service - They hire too many lazy people right out of high school who expect to get a paycheck and not have to work hard for it. A majority of their front counter workers stand there stone faced when you walk up to make your order, they aren't friendly, and often, the best sentence you get out of them is What do you want? They give me the impression that the customer is a nuisance to them because they actually have to do something when there is a customer there. And the "cooks" improperly make the food (overfilling the fry baskets so they so have no room to float and cook right, pulling fries and nuggets out of the fryer 30 seconds early to rush people out the door and scam the drive through timer that they are always obsessed with, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Not in the slightest. Advertising plays an incredibly huge role in determining consumer habits, and changing or limiting the scope of advertising has proven fairly effective at combating undesirable trends.

This is why tobacco products aren't permitted to be advertised; nor should alcohol or pharmaceuticals, to boot.

I don't have an issue with McDonalds advertising in general, but what they need to stop is trying to market towards children.
    True enough, ad-block is a beautiful thing for the internet, if only they had ad-block for life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Reading failure? The article explicitly states you can still ask for soda and a cheeseburger, they just took it off the menu so people are less likely to order them
    And how are they going to know that they can order them if they aren't on the menu?? That's as dumb as the signs they post telling customers that they have picture menus available for people who cant read. How in the hell would someone who cant read, read the sign telling them they can ask for a picture menu?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure about that, the website calls it reduced-fat ice-cream so maybe it's just in your state. Didn't you also claim they didn't make "milkshakes" because your state has a weird definition of what makes a milkshake?
    As per the United States Food and Drug Administration:

Ice cream contains not less than 1.6 pounds of total solids to the gallon, and weighs not less than 4.5 pounds to the gallon. Ice cream contains not less than 10 percent milkfat, nor less than 10 percent nonfat milk solids, except that when it contains milkfat at 1 percent increments above the 10 percent minimum, it may contain the following milkfat-to-nonfat milk
    https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrip...cfm?fr=135.110

For it to be called ice cream it must contain at least 10% milkfat. Lowfat milk is only 1% or 2% depending on brand

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    2. Customer Service - They hire too many lazy people right out of high school who expect to get a paycheck and not have to work hard for it. A majority of their front counter workers stand there stone faced when you walk up to make your order, they aren't friendly, and often, the best sentence you get out of them is What do you want? They give me the impression that the customer is a nuisance to them because they actually have to do something when there is a customer there. And the "cooks" improperly make the food (overfilling the fry baskets so they so have no room to float and cook right, pulling fries and nuggets out of the fryer 30 seconds early to rush people out the door and scam the drive through timer that they are always obsessed with, etc...
    That's what you get for paying them peanuts and treating them as disposable equipment rather than valuable assets. Go figure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    True enough, ad-block is a beautiful thing for the internet, if only they had ad-block for life.
    Advertisement is sort of necessary, in that a lot of industries are subsidised by it; the problem is less advertising and more that there are some forms of advertising which are harmful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what you get for paying them peanuts and treating them as disposable equipment rather than valuable assets. Go figure.
    They agreed to do the job for the pay offered when they accepted the job offer. They don't get to use the excuse I'm not paid enough. Additionally, doing a shitty job isn't a good way to get raises in the future nor is it good for getting a better job later. They will have to up the wages they offer when people stop applying to work at the wages they offer now.

- - - Updated - - -

Advertisement is sort of necessary, in that a lot of industries are subsidised by it; the problem is less advertising and more that there are some forms of advertising which are harmful.
    Augmented reality will take care of it soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Augmented reality will take care of it soon.
    AR Adblock. Huh, dunno why I never thought of that - kudos.

- - - Updated - - -

They agreed to do the job for the pay offered when they accepted the job offer. They don't get to use the excuse I'm not paid enough. Additionally, doing a shitty job isn't a good way to get raises in the future nor is it good for getting a better job later. They will have to up the wages they offer when people stop applying to work at the wages they offer now.
    Then don't complain about shitty service. You get what you pay for.

I'm gonna delve into the realm of anecdotes here and inform you that in my city where we actually pay employees a decent wage and protect them from employer abuse, the service is significantly better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are still aloud to order cheeseburgers with Happy Meals. All McDonalds are doing is taking the word "cheeseburger" off the menu, the hope is that by not putting the suggestion in people's mind they'll go for the slight less fatty non-cheeseburger.
    If you take something off the menu then its effectively nonexistent to most customers. Technically I could order grill cheese at McDonald's because they have the ingredients but its no where on the menu. Of course they arent going to say you can't put cheese on your kids burger. Semantics.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    If you take something off the menu then its effectively nonexistent to most customers. Technically I could order grill cheese at McDonald's because they have the ingredients but its no where on the menu. Of course they arent going to say you can't put cheese on your kids burger. Semantics.
    Did you read your own article? They took soda off the kids menus and soda sales dropped only 14%. Obviously it still exists...

AR Adblock. Huh, dunno why I never thought of that - kudos.
    The only thing is when that tech is widely available it will have ethical implications.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Did you read your own article? They took soda off the kids menus and soda sales dropped only 14%. Obviously it still exists...
    Again, semantics. How are people supposed order something if its not on the menu.

McDonald's is saying "we're no longer going to sell you cheeseburger but will make you a hamburger with cheese on it". "We dont sell soda to kids but I guess you can have on because we still have a soda machine." Again, semantics.

And how are they going to know that they can order them if they aren't on the menu?? That's as dumb as the signs they post telling customers that they have picture menus available for people who cant read. How in the hell would someone who cant read, read the sign telling them they can ask for a picture menu?
    If someone is really desperate to have a cheeseburger or soda with their Happy Meal they can say "can I get that with a cheeseburger or soda" to the person serving them.

As per the United States Food and Drug Administration:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrip...cfm?fr=135.110

For it to be called ice cream it must contain at least 10% milkfat. Lowfat milk is only 1% or 2% depending on brand
    Now find the definition of reduced fat ice cream.

Again, semantics. How are people supposed order something if its not on the menu.

McDonald's is saying "we're no longer going to sell you cheeseburger but will make you a hamburger with cheese on it". "We dont sell soda to kids but I guess you can have on because we still have a soda machine." Again, semantics.
    Their own statistics prove you wrong though... I don't see how you can logically say that. They said they took off soda and sales of soda with kids meals only dropped 14%. Thats not semantics, its a statistic.

People are highly open to suggestion, if a menu suggests a cheeseburger people will order it when they would be just as happy with a non-cheeseburger. I don't see where there's anything to get annoyed by here, people can still get the food if they want it but the company won't be encouraging it as much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Their own statistics prove you wrong though... I don't see how you can logically say that. They said they took off soda and sales of soda with kids meals only dropped 14%. Thats not semantics, its a statistic.
    Proved me wrong? What argument did I make present? Saying youre taking something off the menu while saying you "technically" still offering it is all semantics.

Also a 14% isnt a number to scoff.

A shitty place trying to be less shitty by hiding the shit it's notorious for peddling. Even their salad is unhealthy. Just sell healthy food instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are highly open to suggestion, if a menu suggests a cheeseburger people will order it when they would be just as happy with a non-cheeseburger. I don't see where there's anything to get annoyed by here, people can still get the food if they want it but the company won't be encouraging it as much.
    Theres a difference between being annoyed and questioning disingenuous PR stunts, what this is, a PR stunt.

Proved me wrong? What argument did I make present? Saying youre taking something off the menu while saying you "technically" still offering it is all semantics.

Also a 14% isnt a number to scoff.
    You said "it technically doesn't exist" ... if that were even remotely true soda sales with kids meals would have dropped more than 14%. And that is over four years. Its nor semantics. Its just not on the menu. But people are clearly still ordering it. As to why, that is up for debate.

Theres a difference between being annoyed and questioning disingenuous PR stunts, what this is, a PR stunt.
    Everything with corporations is a PR stunt. Either they worry about money, or they worry about their image, as far as it affects their money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey I know guy who doesn't sell drugs but will sell someone crack if they ask for it.