Page 1 of 3
LastLast

ROTC and the NRA indirectly trained the Florida school shooter.

https://www.vox.com/2018/2/16/170218...team-nra-grant

The Associated Press reports that in 2016, Cruz had been a member of the school’s Army Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) air-rifle marksmanship team, a small group who met together after class for target practice using air rifles and traveled to other schools to compete.

That program was supported by a grant from the National Rifle Association Foundation, the NRA’s charitable arm, as part of a multimillion dollar national campaign to promote youth shooting clubs. In 2016, when Cruz was a member of the team, the NRA Foundation awarded the school program a $10,827 non-cash grant.

“He was a very good shot,” Aaron Diener, who was part of Cruz’s shooting team in 2016, told the AP. “He had an AR-15 he talked about, and pistols he had shot. ... He would tell us, ‘Oh, it was so fun to shoot this rifle’ or ‘It was so fun to shoot that.’ It seemed almost therapeutic to him, the way he spoke about it.”
    This raises an interesting question, setting aside the gun control debate, it is worth raising a question around the worth and value of such essentially paramilitary training programs like the ROTC. While undoubtedly it was a career starting point for many, it also instills militaristic values in extremely young individuals, transfers military skills to possibly dubious people with mental issues which would have disqualified them from military service.

While I am personally OK with ROTC programs in universities, I do feel that military recruitment programs and recruiters in general should be banned from high schools and from targeting high school age kids.

What do you think?

That if you dig hard enough you can find that anyone helped someone do somthing. The school lunch ladies are partially responsible becuase they kept him fed and health enough to do the shooting.

I think religion in the classroom is a far bigger threat than recruiters or rotc in high schools.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think you are really stretching to call the JROTC programs paramilitary.

What kind of dimwit would call JROTC Air rifle practice paramilitary training? Mental gymnastics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    This raises an interesting question, setting aside the gun control debate, it is worth raising a question around the worth and value of such essentially paramilitary training programs like the ROTC. While undoubtedly it was a career starting point for many, it also instills militaristic values in extremely young individuals, transfers military skills to possibly dubious people with mental issues which would have disqualified them from military service.

While I am personally OK with ROTC programs in universities, I do feel that military recruitment programs and recruiters in general should be banned from high schools and from targeting high school age kids.

What do you think?
    So far, I have always thought of the ROTC system as something we should adapt.

Now you're telling me it's just another gun club with no admittance standards?

JROTC and ROTC has done way more good helping people get started on careers and giving them the proper discipline to improve their lives than 1 example of a fucked up kid, who would have done the same if he was on his highschools basket weaving team.

10+ Year Old Account
    He would tell us, ‘Oh, it was so fun to shoot this rifle’ or ‘It was so fun to shoot that.’ It seemed almost therapeutic to him, the way he spoke about it.
    It didn't work for him, but notice that language. For some, it may get them on a different path. We don't know if, or how many, students in JROTC might pull it together and find focus through those activities.

At this point, he has what he wanted, he's a symbol. Now, people will look at everything he has done and try to second guess, trying to assign blame. I suppose we need to do that and hope to dodge the next one, but as much as I detest the NRA -- we can probably start by blaming screwed up counseling, mental health programs, and even care for orphaned children first.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Deleted
    Does studying ballistic trajectory in physics indirectly train shooters?.

7+ Year Old Account
    Even i think this is a bit of stretch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekkle View Post
    Even i think this is a bit of stretch.
    This is how almost every topic is handled in the media these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    The NRA should be outlawed.
    so you want to outlaw responsible gun owners? one bad apple doesn't spoil the bushel
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    This is how almost every topic is handled in the media these days.
    Makes me hard to believe any source posted anywhere, why I don't really talk about this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    JROTC and ROTC has done way more good helping people get started on careers and giving them the proper discipline to improve their lives than 1 example of a fucked up kid, who would have done the same if he was on his highschools basket weaving team.
    JROTC and ROTC havebeen training cold blooded murderers for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    JROTC and ROTC havebeen training cold blooded murderers for a long, long time.
    No.

/10char

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    That if you dig hard enough you can find that anyone helped someone do somthing. The school lunch ladies are partially responsible becuase they kept him fed and health enough to do the shooting.

I think religion in the classroom is a far bigger threat than recruiters or rotc in high schools.
    because teaching kids morals and to not kill people is so dangerous. /s

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    The NRA should be outlawed.
    Meanwhile the number of mass shootings in america that have been shown to be committed by card carrying NRA members.

Last edited by Moshots; 2018-02-20 at 01:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post

https://www.vox.com/2018/2/16/170218...team-nra-grant

What do you think?
    Where would the army gets it's recruits from if it can't actively target the young and poor?

Deleted
    He was wearing his JROTC shirt when he got busted wasn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Blownload View Post
    What kind of dimwit would call JROTC Air rifle practice paramilitary training? Mental gymnastics.
    Leftest with stretch armstrong arms.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    What percent of recruits come from JROTC? What percent if JROTC students enlist?

You obviously know the answer to these two questions since you expressed this opinion.
    Do you want me to Google it?

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    I think if you cite anything from Vox you should automatically get a week-long forum ban.
    As much as you "fake news" folks might hate it, Vox is a fairly decent source. You just don't like it because it's editorial board is not trying to pretend that the right wing is reasonable or sane.

On the other hand Vox itself sourced Associated Press for the article. You know, it's literally in the first 3 words of what I quoted.