Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Life behind bars is far more serious punishment, in my opinion. The younger the perp is, the more punishing it is.

Deleted
    Im for capital punishment because it saves innocent lives. That said it all depends if the laws permit it. If it does and it does in the case of a minor they yes, getting yourself killed by the system kind off takes away a lot from the romanticized mythos of the angsty teenage rebel mistreated to the point of commiting a mass murder...

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    No better than them?

There's a massive difference between killing innocent children and killing a murderer of innocent children. "No better than them" is just a storybook trope that doesn't hold up in real life.
    Yes I think you are no better then them, killing a killer is still killing. Geting revenge is just as much of a storybook trope if you ask me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Yes, here's why.

If he's allowed to live every time he makes the news for the families of the victims it will open old wounds. Killing him will put an end to all of that.

Anders Behring Breivik is still alive and every time he makes the news in Norway it opens old wounds for the families of all those teens he murdered. Kill him and be done with it, give the families some peace.
    They’ll still make the news if there dead people don’t stop talking about mass shooters just because there dead.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2018-02-20 at 09:53 PM.

No. It's senseless, illogical and wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Life behind bars is far more serious punishment, in my opinion. The younger the perp is, the more punishing it is.
    maybe, altho i know most would dissagree. people give away freedom for stability of getting the next meal willingly. So it may look horrible to you but there is that oposite perspective. One thing i know tho is that capital punishment is a proven deterrent for criminals who have to decide whether to rob someone and leave a witness or rob someone and kill the witnesses... if the latter does not bear more upscale punishment than the former then the choice to kill the witnesses is a logical one... this is why as a responsible member of the society you should be for capital punishment. Even when you errors may happen, in the end more inocent lives will be saved even with those fatal errors in play. Its math, its boring but its the ultimate argument...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    No. It's senseless, illogical and wrong.
    how is it illogical?

Quote Originally Posted by IronCorvus View Post
    maybe, altho i know most would dissagree. people give away freedom for stability of getting the next meal willingly. So it may look horrible to you but there is that oposite perspective. One thing i know tho is that capital punishment is a proven deterrent for criminals who have to decide whether to rob someone and leave a witness or rob someone and kill the witnesses... if the latter does not bear more upscale punishment than the former then the choice to kill the witnesses is a logical one... this is why as a responsible member of the society you should be for capital punishment. Even when you errors may happen, in the end more inocent lives will be saved even with those fatal errors in play. Its math, its boring but its the ultimate argument...

- - - Updated - - -

how is it illogical?
    Why expend resources to destroy a resource. The purpose of incarceration should always be first and foremost rehabilitation, of course this concept is lost on people that would rather let themselves be governed by emotion rather than logical reasoning.

Personally I do not believe that the death penalty belongs in a justice system so were it up to me he'd just be locked away in the darkest dankest cell never to see the light of day again.

A lifetime of imrpisonment is far worse than an instant death.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IronCorvus View Post
    how is it illogical?
    It achieves nothing it doesn’t bring the dead back and it doesn’t magically give closure and as been said in this thread cost more then life. Wanting revenge is an emotional thing not a logical one.

7+ Year Old Account
    No. While there are certainly times when "deadly force" is justified, a "punishment" is not one of those times. No government should have the right or power to end the life of one of its citizens. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    No. While there are certainly times when "deadly force" is justified, a "punishment" is not one of those times. No government should have the right or power to end the life of one of its citizens. Ever.
    It's ironic that the same people that are extremely pro-death penalty are the ones that are obsessed with government interference.

FREEEDOM to do whatever I want, even kill me should I be wrongly convicted for a crime I didn't commit!.

Find out what’s wrong with it. Piece together any red flags we should’ve noticed and/or acted upon then reform how we deal with mental health (both officially and within society) based upon what we learn. The shooter gets to live as long as we can still learn from it. Once it is no longer useful, creamate it alive.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Lock him up for the rest of his life. Let him enjoy prison in all it's splendor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I am curious, does the US legal system provide for a sentence beyond ANY doubt instead of beyond reasonable doubt? Even if you have perfect proof, it would still be up to a jury of your peers to decide that after all.
    No, that's precisely why the death penalty continues to be a contentious issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's ironic that the same people that are extremely pro-death penalty are the ones that are obsessed with government interference.

FREEEDOM to do whatever I want, even kill me should I be wrongly convicted for a crime I didn't commit!.
    Politics are inherently irrational.

No. Let due process happen, then if found guilty...let him rot.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Meh, I still find common law silly
    Common Law has its merits in that it provides an additional layer of flexibility in the legal system when taking into account changing circumstances and the like. A lot of the implicit rights and powers which are organic necessities in modern Common Law systems are in fact inferred based on case law or interpreted from existing statues.

Where Civil Law has an advantage is that cases tend to be driven by judges rather than by lawyers, so a lot of the pandering and appeal to emotion that goes on in adversarial legal systems is muted or absent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    I could say the same for you on not being able to pass a sanity test if you think there's any reason to keep him alive.
    There are many reasons to keep him alive, put him to work while in prison to give back to society. Study him, no I don’t mean human experiments. Killing is immoral.

Deleted
    Why expend resources to destroy a resource.
    to save lives

The purpose of incarceration should always be first and foremost rehabilitation,
    The purpose of death penalty is to act as a deterrence to murder and by doing so save inocent victims lives. The purpose of law is the protection and organisation of the civil society.

of course this concept is lost on people that would rather let themselves be governed by emotion rather than logical reasoning.
    Projecting much?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Lock him up for the rest of his life. Let him enjoy prison in all it's splendor.
    Why should we pay for his secure existence. People commit crimes on purpose to get themselves incarcerated over the winter. Its a good case for a death penalty. Ofcourse hes under age im asuming and that changes things a bit... still i would lean on killing him off to deter others from doing what he did. As i am against gun ownership i am for death penalty, its the rational liberal thing to do.

I'm not sure what the US prison system is like, but if he'd done the deed in X Western European country, I would've said to hang him slowly since our prisons cradle the inmates and separate "vulnerable" prisoners from the general population, effectively giving the worst criminals the coziest environment.

If the US won't cradle and shelter the son of a bitch, then by all means let him rot for the rest of his miserable life in a cell.