Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Why are people impressed with recycled Marvel movie plots? (spoiler free)

So after seeing Black Panther I was wondering why marvel keeps using the same basic plot as Captain America. There are subtle differences, but the main plot is the same.

Chemically enhanced villain wants to use advanced technology to have his race take over the world while similarly chemically enhanced hero wants to stop him.

The first Iron Man plot has been reused also, but I was just using the above as most recent example. Why are people more impressed this time around? Because it's the second black hero to headline a movie?

10+ Year Old Account
    You're aware that there are other elements that go into a movie besides the plot, right?

It's entirely possible for a good movie to have a simple or standard plot; the Iron Giant is one such example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    So after seeing Black Panther I was wondering why marvel keeps using the same basic plot as Captain America. There are subtle differences, but the main plot is the same.

Chemically enhanced villain wants to use advanced technology to have his race take over the world while similarly chemically enhanced hero wants to stop him.

The first Iron Man plot has been reused also, but I was just using the above as most recent example. Why are people more impressed this time around? Because it's the second black hero to headline a movie?
    Blade, Spawn, Black Panther. Isn't he the third big one?

He's not the second, third, or fourth black hero to grace a movie... He's the 3rd Black super hero movie that I can think of, although technically you have The Man with the Iron Fist, and any number of "blacksploitation" movie from 60's-80's probably have any number of black super heroes in them.
    They are being very disingenuous about the "blackness" of this movie to get free press and ticket sales, which is also driving a lot of the anti-Black Panther BS too.

But on to the real question, maybe people just like the movie. I heard the bad guy, I think played by Michael B Jordan (I haven't seen the movie yet), is exceptional. It's not like this movie being good is making Captain America worse.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    i haven't seen Black Panther yet but perhaps writer are limited with origin story plot. There is only so much creativity to have before you start recycling yourself. Nonetheless the story could be compelling, and the directing good enough to not make you care.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    He's not the second, third, or fourth black hero to grace a movie... He's the 3rd Black super hero movie that I can think of, although technically you have The Man with the Iron Fist, and any number of "blacksploitation" movie from 60's-80's probably have any number of black super heroes in them.
    They are being very disingenuous about the "blackness" of this movie to get free press and ticket sales, which is also driving a lot of the anti-Black Panther BS too.

But on to the real question, maybe people just like the movie. I heard the bad guy, I think played by Michael B Jordan (I haven't seen the movie yet), is exceptional. It's not like this movie being good is making Captain America worse.
    Yea michael B Jordan did a great job and really summed up that if you think the way he does then you are a villian as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Blade, Spawn, Black Panther. Isn't he the third big one?
    I was going strictly on Marvel movies as , rightly so, most people have not, nor should they, see spawn. But in spawn he is transformed early and rarely seen as just Al. But I give you kudos for having sat through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    You're aware that there are other elements that go into a movie besides the plot, right?

It's entirely possible for a good movie to have a simple or standard plot; the Iron Giant is one such example.
    Iron Giant is a great movie because Vin Diesel is low-key an amazing actor and box office gold.

Aren’t all comic book plots recycled?

Why should Black Panther be any different. Why did does it need to reinvent the wheel?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you saw Black Panther, and don't understand why it's a big deal, you're either:

A). An idiot
    B). Have an Agenda

It's a waste of time trying to describe it, because I'm betting my money the problem is Selection B. You don't want to know, because it doesn't suit you.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

10+ Year Old Account
    Iron Giant is a great movie because Vin Diesel is low-key an amazing actor and box office gold.
    It's a great movie for many reasons, but it's just one example of how a good movie can have a simple plot.

What makes Black Panther so enjoyable is its execution; the visual design, the editing, the acting. Especially the visual design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I said headline a movie, but you go on your rant. I never said, nor implied it took away from Captain America, I stated that the plot is basically the same.

I was going strictly on Marvel movies as , rightly so, most people have not, nor should they, see spawn. But in spawn he is transformed early and rarely seen as just Al. But I give you kudos for having sat through it.
    This handwaving about Spawn is kind of disgusting. Is Michael Jai White no longer black because the role he played was of a badly burned undead demi-god?

10+ Year Old Account
    You could ask why people like stories. There really aren't that many of them. Just interesting takes on old ideas.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people are really into this Superhero thing, I mean as long as it puts asses in seats.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    If you saw Black Panther, and don't understand why it's a big deal, you're either:

A). An idiot
    B). Have an Agenda

It's a waste of time trying to describe it, because I'm betting my money the problem is Selection B. You don't want to know, because it doesn't suit you.
    I believe you are the one with the agenda. I simply asked why critics are making a big deal of a recycled plot.

I said headline a movie, but you go on your rant. I never said, nor implied it took away from Captain America, I stated that the plot is basically the same.
    Michael Jai White didn't headline Spawn? Wesley Snipes didn't headline 3 Blade movies? Rza didn't headline Man with the Iron Fist?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post

A). An idiot
    B). Have an Agenda

Go on then, explain to me why Black Panther is so great and not another generic popcorn super hero movie (which I do enjoy but also admit they are not special).

This handwaving about Spawn is kind of disgusting. Is Michael Jai White no longer black because the role he played was of a badly burned undead demi-god?
    I thought it was because Spawn was panned as being a mostly shite movie better off forgotten; whereas Blade is a celebrated success... I shouldn't answer for others tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I'm talking about the movie as a whole....where it should be thrown, in a hole. Maybe the remake will be good. White has several better acting credits, including the online mortal kombat series.