Page 1 of 2
LastLast

SC Senate panel approves bill effectively banning all abortions

Who cares if this law and similar ones are continually ruled to be unconstitutional, and that the GOP keeps wasting millions in taxpayer money passing such laws and then fighting the legal challenges in court only to have them overturned and ruled unconstitutional. As long as they can score points with the hardcore evangelicals then no price is too high to waste taxpayer money, right?!

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-wa...-all-abortions

A South Carolina Senate panel has approved legislation that would effectively ban all abortions in the state, sending the measure to the full Senate for a vote.

The committee voted 12-9 along party lines, with one GOP senator abstaining, to approve the “Personhood Act,” which gives legal rights to fertilized eggs from the moment of conception, according to The State.

The bill is endorsed by Gov. Henry McMaster (R) and Lt. Gov. Kevin Bryant (R), who sponsored the bill, which follows the state’s 2016 decision to ban abortions after 20 weeks, the newspaper added.

GOP State Sen. Richard Cash, who argued for the measure, said that he hopes it will lead to overturning Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court decision that affirmed women’s rights to have an abortion.

Cash also confirmed during debate that the bill would apply to abortions in the case of rape or incest, facing stiff opposition from Democrats, according to The State.

“If a child is raped, yes, that is a horrible act,” he said in response to a Democrat colleague’s line of questioning about a hypothetical situation in which an 11-year-old girl was raped and impregnated.

“Two wrongs don’t make a right,” Cash added. “You cannot erase the rape by killing the child. The child is an innocent person.”
    Democrats reportedly raised concerns that the bill would affect the legality of fertility treatments, and target doctors who perform abortions to save the life of the mother in a medical emergency. An amendment to the bill would make an exception for “unintended” death if the doctor makes “reasonable medical efforts” to save the life of both the mother and child.

The GOP state senator who abstained, Sandy Senn, said she thought the bill was unconstitutional, according to The State.

McMaster praised the panel's decision and urged the full Senate to "pass it without delay."

“I believe that human life begins at conception, and I believe the people of South Carolina deserve for their laws to reflect the values they hold dear," the governor said, the newspaper reported.

What is wrong with these people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember guys, you can't ban guns because it's constitutionally protected but you can totally ban abortions because they're constitutionally protected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is how this will roll:

State circuit court -- ruled unconstitutional
    Appeal
    State Appeals court -- upholds ruling of lower court.
    Appeal
    State Supreme court -- upholds ruling of lower court.
    Appeal
    SCOTUS -- Declines to hear case.

Once again, money being wasted by the party of "fiscal responsibility"
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Here is how this will roll:

State circuit court -- ruled unconstitutional
    Appeal
    State Appeals court -- upholds ruling of lower court.
    Appeal
    State Supreme court -- upholds ruling of lower court.
    Appeal
    SCOTUS -- Declines to hear case.

Once again, money being wasted by the party of "fiscal responsibility"
    The worst part about it to me is not only are the people doing this the ones that are allegedly the party of fiscal responsibility, but they're also the party that constantly complains about how we must follow the Constitution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Remember guys, you can't ban guns because it's constitutionally protected but you can totally ban abortions because they're constitutionally protected.
    "That's right, guns are protected by the Constitution, they are an American right! Now, let's make it harder for black people to vote".

South Carolina doesn't have the best track record on this kinda thing. @Lenonis could be correct.

Don't really see the problem, unless they're banning any and all even in cases of health problems for the mother or defects on the fetus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Don't really see the problem, unless they're banning any and all even in cases of health problems for the mother or defects on the fetus.
    And rape, and incest, yes. All of them. Right there in the article.

The problem is that it's nobody's business if a woman wants to have an abortion. These disgusting people (from a state of the former Confederacy, not shocking) want to push their religious views into secular law. Than go f themselves; tyrants , every one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    The problem is that it's nobody's business if a woman wants to have an abortion. These disgusting people (from a state of the former Confederacy, not shocking) want to push their religious views into secular law. Than go f themselves; tyrants , every one of them.
    You're not going to convince me that it's bad to ban abortion unless they're doing it due to health reasons or defects on the fetus.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're not going to convince me that it's bad to ban abortion.
    Then go away?

It's legal and constitutionally protected in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Then go away?

It's legal and constitutionally protected in the US.
    This isn't a forum where you can only post in a thread if you agree with people.

A South Carolina Senate panel has approved legislation that would effectively ban all abortions in the state, sending the measure to the full Senate for a vote.

The committee voted 12-9 along party lines, with one GOP senator abstaining, to approve the “Personhood Act,” which gives legal rights to fertilized eggs from the moment of conception, according to The State.
    I bolded the two important parts. By classifying a zygote as a person (which is exactly what this bill has done) and granting them the same legal protections that a person has, they have pretty much effectively classified abortion as murder, since it would be "taking the life" of a "person". They even worded it in a way that they could still go after a doctor who performs a medically necessary abortion, as the only exception they seemed to have added was the unintended death of the "person" as long as the doctor tries to save the life of both the mother and the "person".

An amendment to the bill would make an exception for “unintended” death if the doctor makes “reasonable medical efforts” to save the life of both the mother and child
    Hell, the person sponsoring the bill even said that he hopes the legal challenge to this law leads to Roe v. Wade being overturned. This is a pretty blatant effort to not only ban abortion at the state level, but the federal level as well.

You're not going to convince me that it's bad to ban abortion unless they're doing it due to health reasons or defects on the fetus.
    I'm not trying to convince you. You are obviously ok with taking rights away from women. You are part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    This is a pretty blatant effort to not only ban abortion at the state level, but the federal level as well.
    The only problem with it is that it does not allow for abortion for health reasons or defects.

The party of "small" government hard at work again I see. Need to police everyone's personal choices and shove their religious beliefs on everyone else.

Again, the side that says "We care about all human life... from conception to birth only. After that, to hell with them! Damn lazy fuckers just sucking us dry! >_<

Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    I'm not trying to convince you. You are obviously ok with taking rights away from women. You are part of the problem.
    While I happen to agree with your stance, I know that discussing the actual morality of abortion is a taboo so try not to derail this into a discussion about that. This is a pretty blatant attack on a constitutional right, which is what we should be discussing.

The South will totally rise again.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we give the fetus a gun, it can defend itself against the doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.