Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It's decent, but not great. A solid 6 or 7, and would've fit in more with the first generation of the MCU, but after all the other movies they've put out it was really a letdown. Especially when you see the critics hype it up as the greatest movie yet in the Marvel series.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    I'm kind of annoyed with the trailers. I haven't seen it yet but all of the other Marvel movie trailers have orchestral, a-typical dramatic music but this ONE movie, because the cast is black, has rap layered all over it. Is it like that in the movie?
    That was one of my initial hesitations on seeing the trailers like ummmm this is african not african american. A lot of Africans think African Americans are a joke and the culture here in general. Wakanda would probably not approve of most rap considering most rap is basically anti order and structure.

Of course the racists saying white people can't critique the movie and the fact that you can actually avoid the movie and not lose anything in the mcu cements my not watching it.

Not really, I do my best not to go into movies with expectations because that warps your enjoyment of a film.

Going in as a blank slate (or as much as is possible given how pervasive the MCU and film advertising is), I found it solid and entertaining, with some elements I really liked. So about even with the other Marvel standalone films (Ant-Man, Dr Strange and Guardians back when it first came out).

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    I'm kind of annoyed with the trailers. I haven't seen it yet but all of the other Marvel movie trailers have orchestral, a-typical dramatic music but this ONE movie, because the cast is black, has rap layered all over it. Is it like that in the movie?
    That's the trailer music. The music in the film is very appropriate - an interesting mix of traditional African music and technology.

Anyway, it seems way more appropriate than that awful trailer for Assassin's Creed with a random Kanye song ahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    The whole first third is pretty slow because it's mostly just world building. I liked the world they built, but it was a slow ramp up laying it all out. I think there were big subplots cut out (Such as Okoye and her bf - that was all a bit random).
    I read something about her boyfriend's role being shaved down for time, I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheSweetness View Post
    Andy Serkis was great as Klaue, but I didn't like his "resolution" (if you can even call it that). I did like that he and Martin Freeman had a couple scenes together
    Kept saying to myself... he's not really dead right? Damnit, he was so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Andy Serkis was great as Klaue, but I didn't like his "resolution" (if you can even call it that).
    One thing that continues to annoy me about some of the movies is the bad guy dying. If the bad guys die how are they supposed to come back and seek revenge? Or get redeemed and turn into a good guy? Or something else? Maybe he had some kinda Wakandamajig in his head that records his brain and then some Wakanadan scientist accidentally (delibrately?) turns him into a being made out of solid sound waves. It could happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    It's decent, but not great. A solid 6 or 7, and would've fit in more with the first generation of the MCU, but after all the other movies they've put out it was really a letdown. Especially when you see the critics hype it up as the greatest movie yet in the Marvel series.
    So basically the high ratings is "this is a black movie you can't say it is bad." I mean they're acting like this director and BP and KM's actors are going to keep on making record breaking movies. Kinda similar to that "Get Out" movie which was supposed to be so "deep" and revealing "underlying racist problems" when in reality it was just bashing white people under the guise of conspiracy.
    Last edited by ohwell; 2018-02-23 at 06:00 AM.

I didn't see it and I won't. Black Panther is a boring as fuck super hero.

Deleted
    I'm fed up with this Marvel crap overall. First Iron Man and Captain America were fine, rest is boring, formulaic garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxuvox View Post
    A In fact, 24 hours after watching, the memory has faded so much faster than ANY of the other entries into the MCU, which I usually and up discussing for days afterward with friends.
    You're telling me you forgot about this movie faster than Thor: Ragnarok? Oh come now :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't disappointed at all....I damn near fell in love with Danai Gurira, she was amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a movie about superheroes. My expectations couldn't have been lower and it was about as well-written as I would have expected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Not really, I do my best not to go into movies with expectations because that warps your enjoyment of a film.

Going in as a blank slate (or as much as is possible given how pervasive the MCU and film advertising is), I found it solid and entertaining, with some elements I really liked. So about even with the other Marvel standalone films (Ant-Man, Dr Strange and Guardians back when it first came out).

That's the trailer music. The music in the film is very appropriate - an interesting mix of traditional African music and technology.

Anyway, it seems way more appropriate than that awful trailer for Assassin's Creed with a random Kanye song ahaha.

I read something about her boyfriend's role being shaved down for time, I think.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm betting somehow T'challa gonna use Wakandan tech to bring him back to stand trial for stealing that metal and killing Wakandans....I don't know but his character was well played.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    One thing that continues to annoy me about some of the movies is the bad guy dying. If the bad guys die how are they supposed to come back and seek revenge? Or get redeemed and turn into a good guy? Or something else? Maybe he had some kinda Wakandamajig in his head that records his brain and then some Wakanadan scientist accidentally (delibrately?) turns him into a being made out of solid sound waves. It could happen!
    Agreed. He was too good of a character to just kill off like that (Killmonger too) and more could have been done with him in the future. That's one of the problems with having one big bad coming up: having these one-off villains because everyone will be facing Thanos eventually.
    "Join S.H.I.E.L.D. Travel to exotic distant lands. Meet exciting unusual people... and kill them."
    -Hunter, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Nope, my wife and I really enjoyed it, so did friends that have seen it. Best MCU movie? Not in my opinion, but definitely top-tier. The Killmonger character was really well developed--easily a villain that ranks up there with Hiddleston's Loki. And his last few lines in the film--heavy stuff. CA:WS remains my favorite, but BP is top five.

Was about as good as most marvel movies, which are all watchable. The only praise i have for the film is that its their first good villain on screen. To be honest the only thing disapointing me about black panthrr is that it makes it even harder for a much better film thats already been burried by lack of proper advertisng: Annihilation. While everyone is overhyping the average marvel release again.

Killmonger being a black supremacist was a big surprise to me and a welcome one, as it is rare to see black supremacists in films.

Only in so much as I been disappointed in other Marvel films Post-Avengers; the films lack stakes.

Just too predictable. Didn't take it's premise far enough and lacked sharpness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Only in so much as I been disappointed in other Marvel films Post-Avengers; the films lack stakes.

Just too predictable. Didn't take it's premise far enough and lacked sharpness.
    Well that settles it I’m not going to see it Fencer is my muse on these things if she thinks it sucked I’ll pass. Unless it’s horror films because I only like funny bad horror.

Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Agreed. He was too good of a character to just kill off like that (Killmonger too) and more could have been done with him in the future. That's one of the problems with having one big bad coming up: having these one-off villains because everyone will be facing Thanos eventually.
    I wonder if they underestimated how good a villain they'd made. I mean, Klaw is kind of a shitty villain in the comics IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Yeah kinda sad they killed Klaue, he could have done so much more in the future. But that they killed Killmonger I think was a good ending to him and his arc.
    Having him realizing what he just lost because of what he did, and then have him die there, watching the sunset in Wakanda was beatiful. I mean that's what his dad always told him about when growing up. Sure I would have loved to still have Michael B Jordan in the MCU, just love that guy to death. But as I said, served his story

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if they underestimated how good a villain they'd made. I mean, Klaw is kind of a shitty villain in the comics IMO.
    If you think about it. If he would not have died it would not have been as good as it was. His death was actually sad (more sad than that Quicksilver guy...)

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    If you think about it. If he would not have died it would not have been as good as it was. His death was actually sad (more sad than that Quicksilver guy...)
    Don't get me wrong, I think it totally worked in the context of the film.