Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral CreatureLives's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account

World of Warcraft Then and Now: Stromgarde

I'm being a bitch right now but I may be tearing up a little. Nothing better than seeing a place thought to be gone forever fully restored.

This is everything the Cataclysm should have been. Instead of destroying EVERY zone make them look better.

While the surrounding area of Stromgard looks really nice, I'm torn on the keep itself.

On one hand I like how it's basically a base from WC3, but on the other hand it's just a bunch of reused assets from WoD and there's exactly two houses in the entire thing.

Edit: I also hope this is a sign of a possible world revamp coming in the future. I'd love to see a expansion focuses around rebuilding the world instead of destroying it.
    Last edited by Biotec; 2018-02-24 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biotec View Post
    While the surrounding area of Stromgard looks really nice, I'm torn on the keep itself.

On one hand I like how it's basically a base from WC3, but on the other hand it's just a bunch of reused assets from WoD and there's exactly two houses in the entire thing.
    Same. Stromgarde was one of the few places in wow that actually looked realistic, now its a typical giant castle with only 3 buildings in it none of which are suitable to live in.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biotec View Post

It makes sense that it would be though. This isn't being rebuilt by Stromgardians. Danath is probably the only one still alive. This is being rebuilt by Stormwind with Danath being put in charge. Even the citizens I imagine are all Stormwindians. So It makes sense that it would look more Stormwind/alliance-like in design. Stromgarde isn't exactly independent this time around. Still, I like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Same. Stromgarde was one of the few places in wow that actually looked realistic, now its a typical giant castle with only 3 buildings in it none of which are suitable to live in.
    That's the same as anywhere in the game. No place is realistic. Goldshire also has like 2 or 3 buildings.

I kind of preferred Arathi Highlands mostly consisting of open plains. I guess a druid went berserk and grew trees everywhere.

Seriously though, it's really nice to see old zones getting some love. Hope more will follow suit.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theoris View Post
    I kind of preferred Arathi Highlands mostly consisting of open plains. I guess a druid went berserk and grew trees everywhere.

Seriously though, it's really nice to see old zones getting some love. Hope more will follow suit.
    I'm sure it'll still be accessible though. Sorta like how you can still access old Silithus. This is more just for max level stuff I think.

Though it would be cool if it did have a full quest revamp for lower levels that basically set up the Warfront. I get that Blizz probably doesn't want to re-do everything again Cata style but It would be cool if they made changes when it made sense like this. A few zones here and there every expansion until they are eventually all done. I know it would fuck the timeline up but the timeline is already fucked up.
    Last edited by CreatureLives; 2018-02-24 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CreatureLives View Post

This is everything the Cataclysm should have been. Instead of destroying EVERY zone make them look better.

it was that, Cataclysm.. it was supposed to ruin things

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    it was that, Cataclysm.. it was supposed to ruin things
    And ruin it did.

I'm being a bitch right now but I may be tearing up a little. Nothing better than seeing a place thought to be gone forever fully restored.

The whole area looks amazing and I like the update, although I must admit I expected to see more within Stromgarde itself; more houses at least. There's literally only two houses in there and there were dozens of them previously. A lot of the walls has been completely flattened out and numerous areas were flattened out aswell, making it look like a large Menethil harbor or something. More houses and less open areas within the keep would be perfect, but the whole design of the keep looked a lot better before the changes - especially the entrance. The entrance has been flattened out too and has completely lost the overpasses.

The environment looks awesome, but I'd love to see some more open plains over there. Less trees and it'd be ideal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Indeed. The ruins had a much better city model in my opinion.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2018-02-24 at 06:20 AM.

It makes sense that it would be though. This isn't being rebuilt by Stromgardians. Danath is probably the only one still alive. This is being rebuilt by Stormwind with Danath being put in charge. Even the citizens I imagine are all Stormwindians. So It makes sense that it would look more Stormwind/alliance-like in design. Stromgarde isn't exactly independent this time around. Still, I like it a lot.

That's the same as anywhere in the game. No place is realistic. Goldshire also has like 2 or 3 buildings.
    I just wish the place was kept up to the same standard. It would be cool of they relocated people there, along with the Arathi forces that stuck around from Arathi Basin. I feel like there should at least be an inn and a few more houses, there's a lot of empty space. Also the dwarf mini fort thing just looks really out of placs. I hope if they do integrate this into the actual zone in the future, there are some changes. It would also be cool if they got a better looking castle.

Quote Originally Posted by Theoris View Post

I think the trees are there mostly for the "gather lumber" part of the warfronts. If they do integrate this into the world, they might remove the obvious warfronts stuff.

Yeah I really enjoyed the more grassland-steppe feel that Arathi always had. Maybe if they planted trees in and around Stormgarde, but the majority of the highlands should have stayed grassy.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Yeah I really enjoyed the more grassland-steppe feel that Arathi always had. Maybe if they planted trees in and around Stormgarde, but the majority of the highlands should have stayed grassy.
    I feel the same way. I feel like there's just too many trees now.

Is this a permanent change to the area? Not just a warfront which is separate from the actual zone itself?

And ruin it did.
    i liked zone changes in cata.. it was something new, fresh

and liked the expansion itself too

the world is due to another rebuild.. its been longer since cata to now, than since wow launch to cata

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    The whole area looks amazing and I like the update, although I must admit I expected to see more within Stromgarde itself; more houses at least. There's literally only two houses in there and there were dozens of them previously. A lot of the walls has been completely flattened out and numerous areas were flattened out aswell, making it look like a large Menethil harbor or something. More houses and less open areas within the keep would be perfect, but the whole design of the keep looked a lot better before in my opinion.

The environment looks awesome, but I'd love to see some more open plains over there.
    I do think it's supposed to still be a work in progress in storyline. I think the idea is that the Horde is attacking them while they are still rebuilding it.

Stromgarde also is basically being built by Stormwind but I can't imagine Anduin telling Danath he can have half of his people so maybe it's also not necessary to have so many homes just yet since Stromgarde isn't what it once was. It was literally a entire Kingdom at one point. 2 houses does seem silly though, I get that, but there is no place in WoW that looks like it should.

That said, some houses were added outside of Stromgarde too if that makes it any better.

Phase this into the main map please. Old Arathi is just....boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    I feel the same way. I feel like there's just too many trees now.
    Ideally the Arathi Highlands should be this sort of expansive grassland. Maybe with new creatures (to give it a lived in feel) like horses, runehorns, goats, etc.

Still, I've been waiting for Stormgarde to be repaired since the first time I stepped foot in the zone and I can't say I'm dissapointed at all.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
    Phase this into the main map please. Old Arathi is just....boring.
    It's very cool to see. It's a somewhat modern take on an old zone. We've never really seen that in WoW unless you count what Blizz just did to Silithus. Cataclysm mostly just made the zones look shittier and even then that was like 7-8 years ago. Kinda makes me wonder what other places could look like with this treatment.

I would kill to see Sentinel Hill, Menethil Harbor and the Loch Modan dam fixed up and a giant ass bridge between the Northern/Southern barrens.

7+ Year Old Account
    Looks really great. Hope one day Gilneas will follow.

#stromgardebelongstotrollbane

I'm interesting how Thoras will react.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would kill to see Sentinel Hill, Menethil Harbor and the Loch Modan dam fixed up and a giant ass bridge between the Northern/Southern barrens.
    We're long overdue for a world revamp at this point.