Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Only the Lore and Bubble+hearth really.

It was a sucky class overall, sadly. I parked mine and it wasn't before BC came along before I played it more actively again.

This made paladin fun for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ss1DDtSlwU

Oh fine i didnt play it in vanilla at max level but the fact that you have such utility and tankiness makes it really powerful in pvp.
    Before people start telling why its not good you have to take look at their talents... theres this talent that improves concentration aura which gives you hefty 15% chance of resisting interruptions. Cast a holy light with that and you have pretty good chance to avoid getting interrupted and if you didnt get interrupted... you healed ALOT.

These kind of passive things dont exist anymore... its pretty straightforward now, its Do or Do not... no such thing as "resist" or "dodge". Less rng in gameplay these days.

Same thing with resistances in general, resist auras were pretty good for fighting against specific classes... and there just isnt that much gear to counter resistances in vanilla so using an aura was beneficial in its rng nature. (also providing slight reduction in damage taken)
    Im sure mages had moments when they wanted to cut their wrists for seeing a paladin resist multiple spells in row.

Plate is just self-explanatory, armor was actually useful back then so melee classes didnt deal as much damage to you... so overall paladin was by far the tankiest healer in pvp. That is also one reason why they were so overpowered in wotlk... instant heals for days and plate armor with high health.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodraw View Post
    I'd say people simply preferred the auto-attack style, almost chill/laid-back gameplay, plus Paladins have TONS of utility in Vanilla. They can Tank, DPS, and Heal and have so many useful buffs and additions to dungeons/raids... i.e. they're pretty useful to have around I guess that's one of many reasons why people liked Vanilla Paladins.
    As a vanilla paladin, I can say I did not enjoy the playstyle. My case was being attracted as a young 16 yr old to the theme as my first char and nit knowing what I was in for and not knowing anything different and the by the time I found out how much of a half finished class it was and how much outher classes had I was far to far in leveling it to be assed to start all over again.

If leveling took weeks like it does now instead of months like it did me in vanilla I'd have rerolled in heart beat.

Don't lie and kid people, paladin is a buff bot that can heal abit at end game. They can't dps and they can't tank without a taunt once u hit 60. Yea there's the odd story of palas doing outher things but they stand out because they were rare oddity's. Paladin dps was one of the first Internet meme joke's
    Last edited by mmoc56f3565a46; 2018-02-22 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Yeah... Even mage with streak of crits could tank. Just not for very long.

- - - Updated - - -

Mana.
    Druid were heal bots and nothing more. For the same reasons. Cats were party mascots.

- - - Updated - - -

In order to MP5 gear kick in you cant cast spells for 5 sec.
    eh no that was spirit. mp5 always worked while casting. that's why spirit was so crap compared to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Nope. They can't.
    Group content other than raiding works fine for that.

I liked it when they buff Greater Blessings at the start of WSG

On a serious note it was very chilled levelling, same as a BM hunter. You just press 1 button and wait for the mob to die. Slow but you can easily watch a film or TV and actually watch it without being distracted by the game.

5+ Year Old Account
    Didn't get to play pally in Vanilla, I was (and still am) horde4life

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    This, basically. I didn't really like playing paladin until BC, and I was a paladin from that point on (still am), so that's 10 years of paladin-ing as a main class.

Oh yeah, I also switched to Horde during BC. Made me one of those fancy new Blood Elf things. My paladin is a cow now, though.
    Last edited by Biske; 2018-02-23 at 09:44 PM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Ah yes the classic.

I also remember someone made a paladin DPS mod that multiplied paladin damage in floating text by 1k and made a vid promoting it. Can't find it anymore.

The Burning Crusade
    When I was younger I used to hope bad things wouldn't happen.
    Now I just hope they're at least funny when they do.

I like support classes overall, so I like Paladin, Priest, Druid etc. Support adds some depth to grouping.

It's a little boring that it's so onesided as support = heal in people's mind. In Classic this is the mantra and in retail, support and utility is almost gone.

I absolutely loved Holy paladin in Vanilla WoW. It was my first class I ever played too. The auto-attack based gameplay didn't bother me at all. I have no issue with simplicity. I geared it like a tank because I didn't know better, but I'm glad I did. I could solo things 10 levels higher than me, solo elites that suggested 3 people, and I was the only paladin spec that could tank until level 50 (because no other spec got Consecration until 50). Holy Paladin is a fairly viable tank until the mid to late 40s, too. I felt like I could do everything.

The 5-minute buffs didn't bother me. I came from Final Fantasy XI, which had you using Refresh (4 second cast time, 12 second recast time) on 4 people every 2 1/2 minutes. 5 minute instant cast buffs was a breath of fresh air for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy Paladins were healing machines with infinite mana if built correctly. Blessing of Light made down-ranking fucking amazing and the bubble saved me so many times in both PVP and PVE I couldn't even begin to count them.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullerick View Post
    I looked at the class recently, looked at what spells they could learn in vanilla etc. Seems it might be the most auto-attack based class in the game? The seals with the occasional judgement unleashes etc. Is this true in your experience? What were they like to play for you, levelling, pvp'ing etc.
    Paladin leveling was painful as fudge. Seal of Righteousness, Judgement of Light, Auto Attack, Judgement of Light, Auto Attack, Judgement of Light, Auto Attack.

Pro: The heal from JoL meant you never could die, if you got too low just use Holy Light.

Cons: The Damage was so low you just fell asleep before you killed mobs.

Also for those of you not in the know: You had to level up weapon proficiency to max, something removed from the game as of Cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephire View Post
    Engineering, retribution aura-effects, physical damage dealers and Zalgradis.

THE reason I became a Paladin. Legend.
    All hail Zalgradis! Same reason for me.
    His Blade defends the Helpless, His Might upholds the Weak, His Words speak only Truth, His Wrath undoes the Wicked

What made vanilla paladin fun? Not understanding how unfun it was due to inexperience. Despite it having been my main for over 10 years now, the idea of playing a paladin again in WoW Classic is nauseating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    What made vanilla paladin fun? Not understanding how unfun it was due to inexperience. Despite it having been my main for over 10 years now, the idea of playing a paladin again in WoW Classic is nauseating.
    I actually think it would be fun to be that asshole Reckbomb Pally outside of raids and not Perma-Holy. You have to figure Mages, Priests, Rogues, and Warriors will be a dime a dozen.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Bullerick View Post
    I looked at the class recently, looked at what spells they could learn in vanilla etc. Seems it might be the most auto-attack based class in the game? The seals with the occasional judgement unleashes etc. Is this true in your experience? What were they like to play for you, levelling, pvp'ing etc.
    Pallies had excellent survival and a lot of utility to offer. Their combat was less than compelling with auto attacks, but they were still fun to play. In raiding I was always competitive on the meters as Holy spec and PvP as Ret was fun from time to time. I could take on several melee at one time using cool downs. Fights in PvP were long and drawn out, but I won more often than not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockzalot View Post
    Pallies had excellent survival and a lot of utility to offer. Their combat was less than compelling with auto attacks, but they were still fun to play. In raiding I was always competitive on the meters as Holy spec and PvP as Ret was fun from time to time. I could take on several melee at one time using cool downs. Fights in PvP were long and drawn out, but I won more often than not.
    Yes that is true, but I'd say there are still quite a few classes which were a lot better in PvP. Locks were virtually unkillable for a Ret and they rocked pretty much everyone else except for their mortal enemies UD rogues which actually could be dealt with as well, just not such a one-sided match as vs just about everything else.

I could kill anything with Ret (if they don't run, which is instant sadface, because you just can't do shit to runners), but a well played lock - forget it.

Other than that things like AV you were just meat, though Holy was OPAF, but honestly so was any healer that stopped fucking around and healed and not imagined himself a hero and rushing forward.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2018-02-25 at 06:34 PM.