Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

China: Communist Party proposes removal of two-term limit for president

China: Xi Jinping set to rule beyond 2023 after Communist Party proposes removal of two-term limit for president

There has been persistent speculation the premier wants to stay in power after he completes the traditional two terms in office

China's ruling Communist Party has proposed removing a constitutional clause limiting presidential service to two consecutive terms - potentially allowing Xi Jinping to stay in office indefinitely.

If approved, the move lays the groundwork for Mr Xi to rule as president beyond 2023. Already the most powerful Chinese leader in a generation, he was given a second five-year term as general secretary at last year's party congress.

The party's Central Committee proposed to remove an expression in the constitution saying China's president and vice president "shall serve no more than two consecutive terms," the Xinhua News Agency said.

Mr Xi, 64, is currently required by the country's constitution to step down as president after two five-year terms. Nearing the end of his first term, he will be formally elected to a second at the annual meeting of China's largely rubber-stamp parliament opening on 5 March.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8227371.html

China came a long way, but I guess they don't want to change too much.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why doesn't he just do like Putin?
    President for 2 terms, then let a puppet (Medvedev) win the next term while Putin is still pulling the strings as the Prime Minister, and after that apply again and become the president.

I like Xi but I don't like the tighter and tigher citizen control.
    I flew to China last year and Russia this year. The airports are night and day. Chinese are 10 times as many as Russians yet it is much more orderly.

Could you imagine getting stuck with Trump for life?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Or like ur western prime ministers that can go on for 5 terms or indefinitely in countries where the #1 political leader is the PM while President has little power (countries such as italy n germany).

I don't hear u guys complain about term limits to merkel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Could you imagine getting stuck with Trump for life?
    If Prime Minister was the #1 position in the US as in other countries in the west. Then, yes you could be.

Btw term limits are undemocratic, that's telling the voter who he can vote on.
    Last edited by mmocced9c7d33d; 2018-02-25 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    President for 2 terms, then let a puppet (Medvedev) win the next term while Putin is still pulling the strings as the Prime Minister, and after that apply again and become the president.

I flew to China last year and Russia this year. The airports are night and day. Chinese are 10 times as many as Russians yet it is much more orderly.
    Chinese airports are 10x more what than Russian's? Busy?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    This time of the year is chinese new year, everyone goes home for a week or so, traffic is huge.

Visiting china in february is stupid if you don't have a very good reason
    Last edited by mmocced9c7d33d; 2018-02-25 at 03:28 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ser Arthur Dayne View Post
    Or like ur western prime ministers that can go on for 5 terms or indefinitely in countries where the #1 political leader is the PM while President has little power (countries such as italy n germany).

I don't hear u guys complain about term limits to merkel.

If Prime Minister was the #1 position in the US as in other countries in the west. Then, yes you could be.

Btw term limits are undemocratic, that's telling the voter who he can vote on.
    You understand the purpose of term limits, right?

Although China has corruption problems it is nowhere near Russia. Xi probably has a little nest egg somewhere but Putin has stolen enough to puppet master an entire country.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    It's hard to calculate for the reason Arthur mentioned.
    I went during chinese new year when there really was a lot of people and just today I transfered in the largest Moscow Airport.
    But I'm not talking about the amount of people. I'm taking about Chinese airports actually having queues.
    In Russia we were thrown into a huge room with hundreds of people and it was every man for himself to get to the security check. People were pushing, screaming, stressing, getting into loud arguments. I barely made it to my next transfer.
    And when I passed the security check I was like "ok 20 minutes left until my gate closes should be no problem".
    Then I saw the sign "23 minutes to F terminal" (my terminal). I was like wtf, imagine zig zagging between people while also wearing a big backpack and a laptop bag.
    I made those 23 minutes in 4 haha.

This is what happens when you get a party that dominates a country - they take steps to ensure it continues to dominate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    You understand the purpose of term limits, right?
    Spin it however you want, it tells the voter who he can vote for and not. That's undemocratic.

Also, term limits has problems of its own.

You replaced this guy

with this guy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    This is what happens when you get a party that dominates a country - they take steps to ensure it continues to dominate.
    This changes nothing for the party's position.

President for 2 terms, then let a puppet (Medvedev) win the next term while Putin is still pulling the strings as the Prime Minister
    The puppet method doesn't work well in China.
    They always agree to be your puppet, then take over later on.

I will be glad to let Trump be our lifetime president !

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Whether Xi is the president or someone else, is irrelevant in China as the political authority is concentrated in Politburo. The President simply represents the ruling consensus.

Successors are groomed for years and chosen way ahead of time, if there isn't a successor already lined up it simply means that the process "failed" and whoever is next in line failed politically.

7+ Year Old Account
    Spin it however you want, it tells the voter who he can vote for and not. That's undemocratic.

Also, term limits has problems of its own.

You replaced this guy

with this guy
    So I'm going to take it that you don't understand why term limits exist or why our Senate is on a rotational election cycle. They are for the same reason, but I also feel like you really don't care to understand. It has nothing to do with spin and everything to due with preventing a populist from staying in power.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post

I will be glad to let Trump be our lifetime president !
    So, you are a fascist and hate America?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    So I'm going to take it that you don't understand why term limits exist or why our Senate is on a rotational election cycle. They are for the same reason, but I also feel like you really don't care to understand. It has nothing to do with spin and everything to due with preventing a populist from staying in power.
    What I meant by spin is for the reason you gave...you replaced a competent leader cuz of term limits and got a populist in power..Bill Clinton 3rd term better than G Bush 1 term..

So know he is officially a "dictator," instead of just a dictator in spirit?

Deleted

Because Chinese politics is a place where they literally kill each other. Xi Jin Ping has worked to spread his own influence, put in his own puppets, and remove everyone else and their puppets. He’s taken control over vast parts of the Chinese system, from military to their version of Gestapo. It’s clear that he doesn’t want to let that go and risk being ousted or killed by his own rivals that would no doubt act against him if they’re elected.
    It’s cutthroat politics. Literally.

7+ Year Old Account
    What I meant by spin is for the reason you gave...you replaced a competent leader cuz of term limits and got a populist in power..Bill Clinton 3rd term better than G Bush 1 term..
    Did he stay in power? I'm pretty sure that's what I said, not what you said that you think I said.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Because Chinese politics is a place where they literally kill each other. Xi Jin Ping has worked to spread his own influence, put in his own puppets, and remove everyone else and their puppets. He’s taken control over vast parts of the Chinese system, from military to their version of Gestapo. It’s clear that he doesn’t want to let that go and risk being ousted or killed by his own rivals that would no doubt act against him if they’re elected.
    It’s cutthroat politics. Literally.
    No, what Mihailik wrote.