Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Because she is doing the Christian Bale Batman voice.
    Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with it? It is at least better than Cordana's voice in Legion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

Even in WC3 I always found her one of the least interesting lead characters for the campaigns. Her campaign is just her chasing down Illidan all the time, then when she finally succeeds near the end he's just free to go thanks to Malfurion. Which I also found a shitty decision after all that Illidan has done to hurt the night elves and others, but apparently saving Tyrande is more then enough for forgiveness. Compared to other leads like Arthas, Thrall, to some extend Tyrande (also find her one of the weaker), Kael and Sylvanas, she's by far the least interesting of them all.

She's tied way to much into the Illidan arc and she comes over one dimensional with her continuously obsession to capture Illidan. And after all that we just see her and Illidan side by side fighting against the Legion, so at the same time it felt like we did this all for nothing. Its not like there are many other night elves that I find even remotely interesting though.

She's not my favorite character, because she was rarely written as a good character - in terms of both quality of writing, as well as moral alignment.

In the War of the Ancients she was constantly rude and belittling to Jarod, her brother, for no apparent reason. When Tyrande was taken as a prisoner in Azshara's palace, Maiev became the temporary High Priestess until her return - and she was not kind or graceful that she had to give up that title. She was almost resentful that Tyrande, basically still a kid at the time, wasn't killed in Azshara's dungeon.

In recent years, her personality depended on Illidan. Even in the Illidan novel, she doesn't consider the health of any of her wardens or other allies on Outland, and winds up getting all of them killed, where Illidan uses their souls to power a portal. It's shown that she does regret it, but not because their souls are, you know, forever being tortured, but because Maiev wound up imprisoned instead. After Illidan was killed, she went back to Darnassus to secretly kill a bunch of Highborne that returned to Night Elven society due to Malfurion and Tyrande, then captured and tried to kill Malfurion. Fast forward to Legion, where none of that is even mentioned, and she still hates Illidan for being demon-like, despite the fact that she released the demon hunters herself to help Azeroth.

Her character has revolved around herself since the beginning. That, in and of itself, isn't bad writing - people like that do exist, and it can be a compelling character to accent other characters. However, she has never changed. She's been imprisoned and tortured on Outland and on the Broken Isles, yet she still hasn't learned her lesson. The logical step would be to see her brought to justice for all the wrongs she's committed to the Night Elves, yet she's the one that still tries to dole out "justice" to those she deems evil. Because of this, it's boring to see her, because we know she won't be any different.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Yeah, apparently her VA had a problem with her throat or something when they recorded her lines, so her sounding like that is understandable but it still grates my ears.

Beyond that, I do think Maiev's character is way too tied to her Illidan obsession.
    She's Warcraft's Javert. The main difference being that Maiev is passionate about her hunt, while Javert was cold and acted only on principle. It's ironic though that she is the one who frees the Demon Hunters, while she blamed Tyrande to have freed Illidan in the Third War for the same reasons. Maiev and Illidan bicker afterwards, but still work together. I wonder what she will do now that Illidan is gone (for good???).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OIS View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with it? It is at least better than Cordana's voice in Legion.
    All Wardens have horrible voice acting. Sira Moonwarden is just as grating.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Because she looks ridiculous, her armor is idiotic, her weapons are idiotic, and she's so one-dimensional that if she actually existed in the real world, that existence would slice reality to shreds whenever she moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    She's Warcraft's Javert. The main difference being that Maiev is passionate about her hunt, while Javert was cold and acted only on principle. It's ironic though that she is the one who frees the Demon Hunters, while she blamed Tyrande to have freed Illidan in the Third War for the same reasons. Maiev and Illidan bicker afterwards, but still work together. I wonder what she will do now that Illidan is gone (for good???).

- - - Updated - - -

As I understood it Maiev's beef with Tyrande is also that she slaughtered the Wardens in her way to get to Illidan.

I dislike her character because it's just very one dimensional, not very interesting.

There's not much to her character, she hasn't had any interesting character conflict.

Even in the Illidan book she isn't very interesting.

Chase Illidan -> Fail -> Have 0 actual character development.

Also she should of rebelled against Tyrande for slaughtering Wardens. That would of given the Night Elves some character development though which is illegal in World of Warcraft because it might take some focus of Humans for a fraction of a second.
    Last edited by Radaney; 2018-02-26 at 12:20 AM.

I feel like I'm missing something. Where is this Maeiv hate?

I think she's a great character. She has believable self-defeating flaws. I love the self-inflicted downfall she had. It's a cautionary tale that - no matter how pure one's intentions are- over-dedication, and extreme zealotry can destroy you from the inside. I also like the foil she has going on with Illidan, and how thier relationship is a bleak foil to Malfurion/Tyrande.

Her depiction in Wolfheart was... weird, but other than that I appreciate this character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    She's not my favorite character, because she was rarely written as a good character - in terms of both quality of writing, as well as moral alignment.

In the War of the Ancients she was constantly rude and belittling to Jarod, her brother, for no apparent reason. When Tyrande was taken as a prisoner in Azshara's palace, Maiev became the temporary High Priestess until her return - and she was not kind or graceful that she had to give up that title. She was almost resentful that Tyrande, basically still a kid at the time, wasn't killed in Azshara's dungeon.

In recent years, her personality depended on Illidan. Even in the Illidan novel, she doesn't consider the health of any of her wardens or other allies on Outland, and winds up getting all of them killed, where Illidan uses their souls to power a portal. It's shown that she does regret it, but not because their souls are, you know, forever being tortured, but because Maiev wound up imprisoned instead. After Illidan was killed, she went back to Darnassus to secretly kill a bunch of Highborne that returned to Night Elven society due to Malfurion and Tyrande, then captured and tried to kill Malfurion. Fast forward to Legion, where none of that is even mentioned, and she still hates Illidan for being demon-like, despite the fact that she released the demon hunters herself to help Azeroth.

Her character has revolved around herself since the beginning. That, in and of itself, isn't bad writing - people like that do exist, and it can be a compelling character to accent other characters. However, she has never changed. She's been imprisoned and tortured on Outland and on the Broken Isles, yet she still hasn't learned her lesson. The logical step would be to see her brought to justice for all the wrongs she's committed to the Night Elves, yet she's the one that still tries to dole out "justice" to those she deems evil. Because of this, it's boring to see her, because we know she won't be any different.
    OK First things first Maiev and Jarods relationship is very complicated. She is a big sister and as a person who had been used and disappointed over and over again she is acting very tough towards his brother, its not that she doesnt like him. Its just her. And her mistrust/disliking towards Tyrande was pretty natural. Firstly Tyrande was all this "chosen of Elune", Miss Perfect, those girls in school who are always better in everything and smarter. Nobody likes those cocky kids, and Tyrande is definitely one of those kinds. She got title of High Priestess, because her predecessor believed she was Chosen of Elune. I mean I'm not undermining Tyrandes abilities, she is, maybe, strongest Priestess of Elune alive atm. But her getting captured and then coming back taking her throne like nothing happened is wrong! Maiev filled in her spot and she could have contested for the title, but she stepped down. And the way Tyrande re-payed the kindness was to spare Illidan from execution and after 10 000 years killed all the Watchers just to release him again. Tyrande never actually looked kindly at Maiev, treated her like nothing, dust. Its not correct to just march in a prison and kill its guards just to release prisoner out. Even if you are the monarch of the nation.

As for Outland, the band that followed Maiev there, knew that it was a suicide mission. Being with no food or allies in Alien planet is a suicide mission. They were worriors. What you expect for a person to feel after losing everything she held dear? Sit and cry like Tyrande when Malfurion got kidnapped by Xavius! She couldnt even grieve for Naisha, so for her its not usual to grieve. I cannot recall any racial leader grieving on anybody. Not even Thrall grieved over Grommash that much.

I understand she was obsessed by Illidan, which I strangly do find an explanation why and its just! He was the shame of her career and her life. He wasnt executed in the first place at Hyjal because he was Illidan, if it was anyone else except Tyrande, Malfurion or Illidan, they would be executed.

As for legion they needed her to fight against demons thats why nobody confronted her, and she has changed, got over Illidan goo. Her freeing Demon hunters is totally different then Tyrande freeing Illidan.
    War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!

Deleted
    What class does she match anyways

There is also the part, where she disobeyed a military leader of a higher rank and then got angry for repercussions.
    She cares only about two things - Illidan and herself.

What if Maiev just released the demon hunters so she would have something to hunt down after the whole Legion thing is done? I mean that would actually be kind of an interesting story line to follow in BfA. Maiev and other surviving wardens pledged to the new Boy King that they would recapture and imprison the demon hunters. None suspected though that she would also be hunting those demon hunters loyal to the Alliance.

Bloodsail Admiral Colonel Sandor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    She murdered people and framed innocents for it. And one dude just kinda decides that it's okay now and its water under the bridge.

What does good voice acting sound like to you? I think in the case of Sira Moonwarden you just got tired of hearing it after flying over so many The Wardens world quests.
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OIS View Post
    What does good voice acting sound like to you? I think in the case of Sira Moonwarden you just got tired of hearing it after flying over so many The Wardens world quests.
    I just don't believe that Wardens should all sound like angry life-long smokers. Or angry Marge Simpson.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

I just don't believe that Wardens should all sound like angry life-long smokers. Or angry Marge Simpson.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    What do you mean? She is a very well established character back all the way from WC3 with a lot of interesting points. Like her hate for Illidan, her obsession with hunting down Illidan, har desire with keeping Illidan locked up, her never ending motivation to keep chasing Illidan to the ends of the world. A lot of interesting intrigue and multi-dimensional character traits.
    Yeah. That's all one dimensional.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spichora View Post
    Do agree with what you say. That one dimensionalism was Tyrande's fault. Starting from War of the Ancients till Wc3. But her character went from vengeful to a decent Faction leader. Went to Broken Isle, reformed Warden faction, cleaned up the mess left in Black Temple. And made sure world would never know about Demon Hunters. She was rebuilding what she lost by Tyrande.
    I'm not saying that they couldn't create a faction leader with that, but it is still one dimensional. She needs more than just her hate for Illidan.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a character I like her more than Tyrande atleast.

They don't. Watch the cinematic where Maiev releases the demon hunters.

I used to like Maiev, but then her character went and murdered a bunch of people...

Because of her, people who wouldn't otherwise be are dead and this includes the Wardens who she corrupted. The bad guy outliving their minions and getting a redemption trope is really shitty and she should have been killed just like I hope Gromm is killed.