Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'm not expecting great things, I love the ME games despite never being particularly impressed by pretty much anything in them. I more enjoy the fact that they're just giant checklists of sidequests to go through and I really enjoy clearing out missions in games. Writing has never terribly impressed me, RPG mechanics haven't been too impressive, combat isn't great, they've been ugly as sin etc. I realize this all sounds odd and like I hate the games, I dunno.

I'm looking forward to good graphics (even with some ugly characters), apparently the best combat in the series to date, and some hilariously janky writing and animations. Not going in with high or low expectations.

Also, DA:I is totes worth it. Did enjoy my playthrough of it.
    Actually, nearly all issues reviewer had on this game are fixed. There isnt "dead" faces anymore.
    Graphics are amazing, and if you love checklists then this is a game for you.

About DA:I im hesitant because it is basically only Trespasser dlc for me :P

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Actually, nearly all issues reviewer had on this game are fixed. There isnt "dead" faces anymore.

Playing the first hour or so (got to the space station)...hooooo boy this is a special kind of bad. It's like, advanced-stage bad. Dead faces are still there. Awkward idle stances and animations, including eyes randomly darting everywhere or looking way off to the side are still there. Hilariously awkward writing and line reading is there. Unclear menu's, check.

Graphics are amazing, but it's also...kinda janky. Playing at 2K with most settings turned up to high and jesus, how did they fuck up shit like depth of field this badly? It shouldn't look like an ultra-low pixel count rendering in the background. To boot, plenty of super fucking odd graphical issues with stuff like transparent glass in front of light sources causing really bad jaggies and all kinds of other shit. I'm honestly hard pressed to believe this is the same technology powering Battlefield 1, which looks and runs god-damn flawless on my rig.

This is just...wow. If things don't improve soon I'm legit wondering how Andromeda scored so well, because this is a pretty terrible first impression and that's going in with low expectations and after all the work they did on it. BioWare Montreal fucked up in quite spectacular form on this one based on the intro alone.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2018-02-22 at 07:47 AM.

Playing the first hour or so (got to the space station)...hooooo boy this is a special kind of bad. It's like, advanced-stage bad. *Snip*
    I mean... that does sound jarring and negative... but at the same time, a lot of what you typed sounds superficial to me. How is the game so far, in terms of combat, story, etc? Maybe it scored well because they saw past the animations and such? I dunno, never played a Mass Effect game before.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    I mean... that does sound jarring and negative... but at the same time, a lot of what you typed sounds superficial to me. How is the game so far, in terms of combat, story, etc? Maybe it scored well because they saw past the animations and such? I dunno, never played a Mass Effect game before.
    Play the other three and then ME:A even with the issues ME3 had its still way better. The Gameplay is ok in ME:A but the rest goes from Meh to bad.

I will say for $10 its worth it but don't have high expectations
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Playing the first hour or so (got to the space station)...hooooo boy this is a special kind of bad. It's like, advanced-stage bad. Dead faces are still there. Awkward idle stances and animations, including eyes randomly darting everywhere or looking way off to the side are still there. Hilariously awkward writing and line reading is there. Unclear menu's, check.

Graphics are amazing, but it's also...kinda janky. Playing at 2K with most settings turned up to high and jesus, how did they fuck up shit like depth of field this badly? It shouldn't look like an ultra-low pixel count rendering in the background. To boot, plenty of super fucking odd graphical issues with stuff like transparent glass in front of light sources causing really bad jaggies and all kinds of other shit. I'm honestly hard pressed to believe this is the same technology powering Battlefield 1, which looks and runs god-damn flawless on my rig.

This is just...wow. If things don't improve soon I'm legit wondering how Andromeda scored so well, because this is a pretty terrible first impression and that's going in with low expectations and after all the work they did on it. BioWare Montreal fucked up in quite spectacular form on this one based on the intro alone.
    Didnt have that impression. And was playing Battlefield 1 campaign before.

EDIT: Yeah, menus are kinda something to get used to. Not newby friendly but they work after accustomed to them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Play the other three and then ME:A even with the issues ME3 had its still way better. The Gameplay is ok in ME:A but the rest goes from Meh to bad.

I will say for $10 its worth it but don't have high expectations
    Kinda disagree here. ME games sticked to me well mainly because of returning cast. Garrus, Tali and Jax mostly.

After finishing Andromeda it is for me just another ME game with new cast of characters. Some i like, some i detest.

Also, Man Shep had always dead face to me :P Like Expressionless

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Combat? At first blush it's painfully average. I'm hoping it ramps up quick, because if it stays like this I'll be completely befuddled as to why it ever received praise from critics like...ever. So far it's slightly improved over previous ME games, but ME has always had kinda bad combat.

Story/writing? It's early on, but so far it's...still not great. Voicework and writing continues to be awkward and super uneven, only made worse by the characters behavior during scenes (WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THEIR HANDS AND ARMS?! WHY DO THEY ALWAYS LOOK SO FUCKING AWKWARD?!).

It's just fucking hard to get past the visual issues right now, I'm truly shocked that this game is powered by the same technology behind Battlefield 1. I'm aware there's likely more going on under the hood than in BF1, but that shouldn't break post-processing effects and make them janky as hell.

If it continues to be like this I'll legit be surprised at how it ever scored about a 5 (which is average in my book). At least the running animation isn't as painful as it is in ME3, so that's an improvement : |

Didnt have that impression. And was playing Battlefield 1 campaign before.

EDIT: Yeah, menus are kinda something to get used to. Not newby friendly but they work after accustomed to them.
    Yeah, I still play BF1 from time to time and recently replayed part of the campaign and I'm still shocked at how amazing the graphical fidelity and quality of animations is (I'm aware it has barely any animation compared to ME:A). Also remember being far more invested in the story of BF1 during the first hour of that first campaign, which is fucking odd because it's a god-damn Battlefield game and this is BioWare. BioWare are the ones who are supposed to have the top notch writing while you cringe through BF1.

As for menu's, we'll see. But it's pretty fucking awful design from what I can tell, so far. Not very clear at all and seems like it's going to be a nightmare to try to navigate through later.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2018-02-22 at 05:38 PM.

Yeah, I still play BF1 from time to time and recently replayed part of the campaign and I'm still shocked at how amazing the graphical fidelity and quality of animations is (I'm aware it has barely any animation compared to ME:A). Also remember being far more invested in the story of BF1 during the first hour of that first campaign, which is fucking odd because it's a god-damn Battlefield game and this is BioWare. BioWare are the ones who are supposed to have the top notch writing while you cringe through BF1.

As for menu's, we'll see. But it's pretty fucking awful design from what I can tell, so far. Not very clear at all and seems like it's going to be a nightmare to try to navigate through later.
    Battlefield 1 has amazing campaign, if sometimes a little cliche (australian one). My favorite was pilot one.

Menus are designed for controler in mind. Thats why Q and E are used to move menus and ESC bring us back one screen.
    You can also use mouse for nearly everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been playing the hell outa Wasteland 2 outa the latest Humble Bundle. (LINK) It's pretty much exactly what I wanted, Fallout 4 if the Fallout series had never moved away from it's isometric, turn-based strategy roots. I am about 15 hours in, but a good 4-5 hours of that was spent just building my team of Rangers, and there isn't a ton as far as story goes just yet, but the exploration and combat feel really solid.

Highly recommended!

Finished it while having origin access for one month.

Game was a major internet witch hunt. It is basically Mass Effect game with a new cast. Everything you liked and disliked about that series is here.

Also, game is huge.

EDIT: Game was 8/10 for me, got one bug wit constant crashing, thats why not 9/10.
    Is there a mod to make the companions shut the fuck up during combat? If so, I might pick this up.
    4/12/292277026596 15:30:08

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbar View Post
    Is there a mod to make the companions shut the fuck up during combat? If so, I might pick this up.
    I enjoyed that banter, especially when exploring on Nomad

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada, Northern Ontario (the French part)

I beat DA:I for the first time last week. All DLC included and must say that the DLC packs are all pretty solid, Tresspasser being the worst one for content but the best one for really filling that story gap and offering a proper send-off for the game and its heroes.

If you were able to power through ME:A's vast and largely empty zones, then you'll do fine with Inquisition. That's my largest gripe with both those games. Otherwise, I find both are visually great, solid story (Andromeda's is a bit weaker to start and picks up pretty decently around mid-game and becomes better than Inquisition's, but DA:I is more consistent I thought), companions in Inquisition are an array of pretty cool (Varric, Solas, Cassandra, Blackwall) to weird (Cole, Solas again), to funny (Iron Bull, Dorian, Varric again) to fucking irritating (Sera and Vivienne).

I would 100% encourage getting the GOTY edition, I got it on a solid sale and it was worth it.

Also, important note: the character creator is 200% better than Andromeda's lol

I also pre-ordered Andromeda and played it on day 1 with all the "game-breaking issues" and called bullshit on that. Whoever posted that it was basically an internet witch-hunt hit the nail on the head there. Game was fun, not perfect, but much better than what people were shitting on it for. Only thing wrong I thought was character creator being pretty shit (which it was in Mass Effect 1 through 3 anyway) and they ported over the tedious side-quest and collectible shit from Inquisition to essentially pad the game's "hours of content". Best Mass Effect game ever though on purely gameplay mechanics, combat is smooth and sexy, feels good to fight in that game.
    Last edited by xxcloud417xx; 2018-02-24 at 01:27 AM.

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There was an early reveal for the humblebundle monthly.
    It's Overgrowth, somehow I already have it in my Steam Library....

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon Targaryen View Post
    There was an early reveal for the humblebundle monthly.
    It's Overgrowth, somehow I already have it in my Steam Library....
    ugh....I may have to get the monthly package...overgrowth looks like some great fun.

Does ME:A have the same control scheme as the previous ones? I loved Dragon Age:Origins' controls, but Mass Effect's one was a step back imo, and thats why i couldnt get myself to play them through.

7+ Year Old Account
    I know this isn't the right thread.. but what the heck is up with Chrono Trigger releasing on Steam out of seemingly nowhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheevah View Post
    I know this isn't the right thread.. but what the heck is up with Chrono Trigger releasing on Steam out of seemingly nowhere?
    Interesting. There are no reviews for it, either. While I've never played it before, I've heard that it's among the best of the best, so maybe I'll consider getting and trying it out...

And they kept the original sprites from the SNES instead of replacing them with some abominations (cough FF6 Steam edition). I only played it few hours but.... this is tempting. Shit, more SE RPGs to add on my wishlist.
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seifa View Post
    And they kept the original sprites from the SNES instead of replacing them with some abominations (cough FF6 Steam edition). I only played it few hours but.... this is tempting. Shit, more SE RPGs to add on my wishlist.
    So the original and not ds version then?

Well, higher resolution of the sprites. I guess that's the DS version.
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seifa View Post
    Well, higher resolution of the sprites. I guess that's the DS version.
    Heard mobile version