Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Wonder Woman and Black Panther both suffered lasting 30mins longer than it needed to.
    Really? I thought black panther felt really short.

have not seen black panther yet but wonder woman was nothing special.. but then again i don't find DC movies that great.
    marvels stuff i've pretty much enjoyed everything i've seen so far(except the captain america stuff) so the odds are probably in favor of black panther.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Thank you, this is exactly how I feel. So people want more Women super hero movies? there aren't many "good" Female super heroes I mean I would not watch a stand alone Black Widow movie, because I think she is a crappy super hero. For instance Super Girl is just plain awful in comparison to Arrow and Flash. I liked Black Panther back in the day of comics and cartoons, and could care less about the cast being black, brown, white, pink or orange It was a good movie and that's it I don't want a bunch of random super heroes that are black or whatever just cause some SJW cried and complained loud enough.
    There are plenty of good female super hero’s they just tend to be on teams instead of solo like say most of the xmen women.

People have to stop attributing a film's success to anything but the quality of it's production (in other words it's writing, set design, CGI, etc). Black Panther and Wonder Woman were good enough films to achieve their box office success. However, that was due to a multitude of factors, and not this bullshit that people keep peddling.

Quote Originally Posted by President View Post
    Who says I wont?

Will you go to Sweden?
    No, Germany is better to live in than Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    I dunno, a film about an ultra-nationalist, culturally conservative society that values tradition and keeping its land for its own people sounds pretty Alt-Right to me.
    So you haven't actually seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    People have to stop attributing a film's success to anything but the quality of it's production (in other words it's writing, set design, CGI, etc). Black Panther and Wonder Woman were good enough films to achieve their box office success. However, that was due to a multitude of factors, and not this bullshit that people keep peddling.
    Nah, audience turn out for Black Panther has a lot to do with race. Y'all guys should read some non white (social) media.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Nah, audience turn out for Black Panther has a lot to do with race. Y'all guys should read some non white (social) media.
    But all these posters here, "have black friends"? I went and saw it with a bunch of diverse friends. We had so much fun we saw it again.

A few us have experience in production design in both theater and film. Hella impressed by the execution of the Wakanda culture in terms of set design, costumes, and even like 5 different dialects.

But gatekeepers gonna gatekeep. Telling us they did afrofuturism and diversity wrong. Surprised they dont double down and tell us that releasing blockbusters in February is wrong. These gatekeepers are the least fun thing about nerd culture.

That's not really my point though. A film like Doctor Strange had a good box office run at around 700M. Black Panther would have had a good run regardless of being boosted by this.

There are tons of people who are going to see a good movie too. It's not all for a single reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wonder woman was good until the last 30-40 minutes. Shame what happened there. I haven't seen Black Panther, but it's sad to see that making one blockbuster film with majority black characters is making certain people think they're under attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    They have to justify it. After making a big deal about diversity, all "diverse" movies have to be viewed as a gift from God themself. Otherwise, people will realize if you make a comic book movie, it tends to be a comic book movie.

I saw black panther and I'm glad I was correct. It was a perfectly fine movie. Played out like a marvel movie as expected. So, the fact the cast was majority black was a talking point to masturbate over.

Casting a movie with people of any color doesn't matter when the content/story of the movie is universal. A super-hero movie, for instance, has a very universal message. Once you move away from a universal story-line, your movie is not going to connect with everyone, it has a targeted audience. When a movie becomes fixated on identity in their story-line, it's sometimes going to flop with a lot of people who don't connect with the message. When that identity is cultural, activists then start to get triggered that the reasoning for that disconnect is racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I was okay with that.

But this was Ares. He was a God whose Godly realm was "fighting". He shouldn't BE beatable. When literally all the other Gods rose up against them, he won. Because he's the God of Fighting.

The finale was basically just "Wonder Woman punches the God of Punching harder than the God of Punching can punch." Which is dumb. A better resolution would have been to fight Ares to a standstill. Force him to stop screwing with people. Foil his plans, not out-kill the best killer there is.

Frankly, I felt that resolution went against everything they'd set up in the story to that point. Diana losing it and going after the general should have been her "this is the wrong path to follow" moment. They could have established that her role is protection, rather than assault, or something. So that whenever Ares shows up, she'll be there.

Not only is it a better resolution and a better fit for the character, you preserve Ares for future shenanigans rather than offing him in the origin story.
    I'll give it to you, that does sound like a much better ending.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I am fine with it, I mean I am sure it's not not to destroy our precious white movies either.

It's just asking for more diversity, not less of what we already have. If anything this could help open branches in other countries connected to Hollywood to produce big budget diverse Hollywood movies, so more movies and more movie with added diversity, everyone wins

This is why I am hoping the live action Mulan movie coming out will be a full Chinese cast. (personally I would also like it all in Chinese too lol)

No one should be upset about this....
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-02-27 at 07:30 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

What people don't get is how awfully white and male and straight our media is. People don't see their privilege because it is normal to them.

We get to feel the way black people feel about Black Panther all the time.

If there was hardly any positive representation for straight white dudes the majority of the people bitching about diverse stuff would throw a fit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Those movies were better, because you are comparing them to Suicide Squad, and the Batman/Superman movies. Let's be honest, DC has set a very low bar for superhero movies in recent years.
    Black Panther is Marvel, which has set a pretty high bar for their movies lately.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Black Panther is Marvel, which has set a pretty high bar for their movies lately.
    My apologies, I had a brain fart. Thanks. Believe it or not... I was thinking of Aquaman in my brain.

meh just a fad, this whole thing will pass once the democrats/liberals exhaust the whole race and gender war thing.

- - - Updated - - -

What people don't get is how awfully white and male and straight our media is. People don't see their privilege because it is normal to them.

We get to feel the way black people feel about Black Panther all the time.

If there was hardly any positive representation for straight white dudes the majority of the people bitching about diverse stuff would throw a fit.
    geeze a white country has white actors and white media

who the fuck would have thought that? and i bet in Philippines filipinos run the media. CRAZY fucking world. crazy indeed.

also why is black so important to you? hispanic/latinos surely have more numbers in USA, why are they not important to hardcore liberals? or 2nd class, and what about the 3.4m filipinos in america? why the fuck do we not get representation? do we not cry loud enough for you liberals to hear? are our tears not real too!
    Last edited by oxymoronic; 2018-02-27 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Personally I am fine with it, I mean I am sure it's not not to destroy our precious white movies either.

It's just asking for more diversity, not less of what we already have. If anything this could help open branches in other countries connected to Hollywood to produce big budget diverse Hollywood movies, so more movies and more movie with added diversity, everyone wins

This is why I am hoping the live action Mulan movie coming out will be a full Chinese cast. (personally I would also like it all in Chinese too lol)

No one should be upset about this....
    Mushu can still be Eddie Murphy

I actually sort of have a problem with the idea that these films were successful only because of diversity. That's kind of sexist / racist.

Just make good films with the right actors regardless of their race or gender and I'll go see it. I didn't go watch black panther because it was an 99% black cast. I watched it because I like black panther. I didn't go watch Thor for the 99% white cast. I watched it because I like Thor. And I sure as shit didn't go watch wonder women because it was all female.

Stop shoehorning in the diversity argument. Make movies that are good and make sense.