Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Assuming all other 'white' superheros are the same because of their skin color is wildly racist. They collectively have a robust diversity of national origin.
    "Those who dance appear insane to those who can't hear the music." ~~ George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by rukya View Post
    How the hell hes making racist claims by presenting facts?

Whats the typical couple in western civilization?

You know this country is losing its white absolute majority and many couples are mixed races right?

Saying “oh white straight people are normal the rest of you are just... not normal people” is retarded no?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HavokHeart View Post
    Assuming all other 'white' superheros are the same because of their skin color is wildly racist. They collectively have a robust diversity of national origin.

Again talk to studio execs who decided that movies with minorities don’t do well because of racism and come back.

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    How many calories did you burn with this mental gymnastic ?
    I would congratulate you on your well reasoned and presented rebuttal to my points, but then I realized you didn't have one, which makes everything so much simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    I dunno, a film about an ultra-nationalist, culturally conservative society that values tradition and keeping its land for its own people sounds pretty Alt-Right to me.
    You um... haven't seen it yet huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I don't care about the cast being predominantly white or black, straight or gay, etc. Don't care one bit.

I haven't seen the movies but if they for some reason associate with "diversity", that counts against them, not for. The "diversity" stuff is toxic and offensively dishonest, I don't want to touch it ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Right, we need to get back to "angry guy shoots a lot of bad guys in protecting his town/his girl/etc", and "Guy and girl hate each other and treat each other badly but then fall in love because love is magical", or "look at the costuming in this historical drama aren't we fabulous" movies.

Genre films are the majority of films. Superhero films are a genre. Don't enjoy 'em? Don't watch 'em. Nobody's making you go.
    Uh no. We need more godzilla movies. I've watched every godzilla movie that I can find all the way back to the 50's one. I want moooore

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Uh no. We need more godzilla movies. I've watched every godzilla movie that I can find all the way back to the 50's one. I want moooore
    I agree with the edgy hedgehog.

10+ Year Old Account
    What really annoys me is how these people take movies like Black Panther and Wonder Woman and turn it into some kind of race/gender empowerment. I bet you more than half of the people that went to go see Black Panther didn't know he's been a Marvel comic book hero since 1966. They act like this is some brand new character who was made solely for diversity reasons. No it was made because he was always a part of the Avengers team so it's only natural that they'd make his own stand alone movie.

Then they take it's success and try to turn it into some kind of victory for black people. Why can't Black Panther be a good movie because the hero Black Panther is cool and badass? Why does it have to be all "FINALLY us black people get a hero! I loved this movie because it's a mainly all black cast and it's a good step forward in the name of diversity and equality!"

Everything has to be so god damn politically involved these days. Entertainment can't just be that, entertainment. It has to be another platform to further people's different agendas now. Black Panther for example has to be a movie made to empower black people and Wonder Woman as a movie made to empower women and to show people that they're not just damsels in distress. How about they were made because they're cool comic book super heroes? Why can't it just be that?
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2018-02-28 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    and it's still a poor example of a diverse cast unless you're using a VERY different idea on the term diverse. You're scope on this view is further out, looking at the movie on it's own... doesn't hold up to the same arguments. Maybe it's that I go see movies that don't have white people in them... maybe it's cause I see movies that come from places outside hollywood... but that isn't really a big indicator of 'diversity' to me.

The way you talk about this strikes me as very racist since the main point you seemt o point out is:

and that is the major indicator of diversity? I have to still say that there are other factors that lend to the idea of "showing a great deal of variety; very different." that aren't related to skin tone.
    Hi. Again, movies do not exist in a vacuum. Art has to be seen as it relates to other art. Black Panther diversifies the Hollywood film industry in general and the MCU in particular. This is really not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiro Tagachi View Post
    So a movie with a 99% cast of a single skin color counts as diversity. lol
    If the vast majority of what the industry churns out is mostly white, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    There is nothing diverse about a movie with an almost completely black cast. If it were almost only white people then people would riot, now it's applauded as diverse. It's as if these people don't even know the definition of diversity.
    Hi. As I said above, movies don't exist in a vacuum. And who is rioting?

To make matters worse, they underline the race card which makes it a media suicide to criticize such a movie. No wonder that Black Panther or Wonder Woman get such high scores, if you show a little criticism you would get either the BLM movement or feminists on your ass. Movies have become way too political.
    When the vast majority of what is created is very homogeneous, both in front and behind the camera, then yes adding additional voices and perspectives is to be celebrated. It enriches the medium as an art form.

And maybe those films are just very good? Also, what does BLM have to do with movies? You are talking nonsense.

And also. movies, and art have always been political. Even explicitly trying not to be political is being political. That is like art 101. Did you guys have no art education in school?

And then you also have the whole cultural appropriation thing. Gender swapping or race swapping. Apparently it's fine for Johnny Storm to become a black guy, or for Heimdall (a germanic god) to be black, even Greeks are black nowadays. And the Ghostbusters are female now. Apparently it's all fine and welcome because it's 'diverse'. But turn it around and you got a shitstorm. Like for instance the Ghost in the Shell movie being portayed by a white person over a Japanese. Now suddenly it's cultural appropriation.
    Hi. Have you ever heard of the rice bowl analogy? It goes like this:

There are two rice bowls.

Bowl A is filled with all the roles for white actors. Just up to the brim.

Bowl B is filled with all the roles for non white actors. You have to look all the way down to see them.

Now if you take some roles from bowl A and put them into bowl B you will see hardly any difference in bowl A. Still filled all the way up. The amount you find in bowl B on the other hand will be significantly larger than it was before.

Now if you do the opposite, take roles form bowl B and put them into bowl A the available amount in bowl B will be greatly diminished, while bowl A will see hardly any noticeable improvement.

This divide becomes even greater when you merely show positive representation.

What a load of shit. These left wing movements are starting to look dictatorial.
    Thinking about decisions made in the process of creating movies is dictatorial now?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by New sauce boy View Post
    What really annoys me is how these people take movies like Black Panther and Wonder Woman and turn it into some kind of race/gender empowerment. I bet you more than half of the people that went to go see Black Panther didn't know he's been a Marvel comic book hero since 1966.
    Well, if you look at the reactions of both black people and women it was indeed a huge deal. People are ecstatic because they fill a need that has gone unquenched for a long time.

For white dudes it is indeed hard to understand as they have positive representation coming out of their ears and as such don't realize how privileged that makes them.

They act like this is some brand new character who was made solely for diversity reasons. No it was made because he was always a part of the Avengers team so it's only natural that they'd make his own stand alone movie.

Then they take it's success and try to turn it into some kind of victory for black people. Why can't Black Panther be a good movie because the hero Black Panther is cool and badass? Why does it have to be all "FINALLY us black people get a hero! I loved this movie because it's a mainly all black cast and it's a good step forward in the name of diversity and equality!"

Everything has to be so god damn politically involved these days. Entertainment can't just be that, entertainment. It has to be another platform to further people's different agendas now. Black Panther for example has to be a movie made to empower black people and Wonder Woman as a movie made to empower women and to show people that they're not just damsels in distress. How about they were made because they're cool comic book super heroes? Why can't it just be that?
    Why are you so mad at other people feeling empowered by art?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Really? I thought black panther felt really short.
    I believe it was 2hrs 15min

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I believe it was 2hrs 15min
    Not gonna lie I never keep track of how long a movie is so I have no clue if that is above or below average.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Well, if you look at the reactions of both black people and women it was indeed a huge deal. People are ecstatic because they fill a need that has gone unquenched for a long time.

For white dudes it is indeed hard to understand as they have positive representation coming out of their ears and as such don't realize how privileged that makes them.

Why are you so mad at other people feeling empowered by art?
    It's not that I'm annoyed by people feeling empowered by art it's when they take it to a political level and use it for whatever agenda people have. If art makes you feel empowered fine, whatever floats your boat but stop taking entertainment like movies and video games to a political level. Leave entertainment as entertainment. It's supposed to be an escape from the real world, it's supposed to be fun and put you in a good mood not reminding you how shitty it is or used to push some political agenda.

If I wanted a constant reminder of how shitty our world is today I'll watch Fox News or CNN but I don't. I just want to play video games or watch a movie in peace and have fun and be happy not miserable, depressed, and constantly offended by something.

It's not that I'm annoyed by people feeling empowered by art it's when they take it to a political level and use it for whatever agenda people have. If art makes you feel empowered fine, whatever floats your boat but stop taking entertainment like movies and video games to a political level. Leave entertainment as entertainment.
    Art has always been political. It is inherently political. Every decision you make is deliberate. Do you think Star Wars, the Rebels fighting the Empire isn't political? Every story line, every character is steeped in the politics of their creators.

It's supposed to be an escape from the real world, it's supposed to be fun and put you in a good mood not reminding you how shitty it is or used to push some political agenda.
    Says you. And do you think seeing stuff like Black Panther and Wonder Woman isn't an escape from reality for a lot of black and women folks?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Not gonna lie I never keep track of how long a movie is so I have no clue if that is above or below average.
    Well a while ago 90 mins was the average movie length however since LOTR and the Hobbit movies are pushing to double that. Black Panther was 2hr 15min Wonder Woman was 2hr 29min

- - - Updated - - -

Says you. And do you think seeing stuff like Black Panther and Wonder Woman isn't an escape from reality for a lot of black and women folks?
    Blade and Tomb Raider never got this hype though. Yeah Black Panther and Wonder Woman are great for representation but they're both late that party

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    I would congratulate you on your well reasoned and presented rebuttal to my points, but then I realized you didn't have one, which makes everything so much simpler.
    I didnt mean to rebuttal, just to ridicularize such non sense you wrote. But if you want a rebuttal, here it is:

Everything you wrote is ridiculous just because DC comics (and marvel) can do whatever they want with their heroes. There's no need to be loyal to the myths or histories that inspired the creation of WW and Thor, no matter how you want to defend that. If they decide to create a amazon man heroe and give a background history to him to justify it, that would be no different than giving a background history to female Thor to justify her name/powers and whatever.

Thats not about real representation of mythology, thats about using them for inspiration for their own heroes.
    Last edited by igualitarist; 2018-02-28 at 04:27 PM.

Blade and Tomb Raider never got this hype though. Yeah Black Panther and Wonder Woman are great for representation but they're both late that party
    Blade is not an actual superhero in the way the caped crime fighters are. The movie was nearly all white with a nearly all white creative team. And the movie is rated R. It also did not exist in the same cinematic environment.

Tomb Raider is not a super hero either. And doesn't have anywhere the same historic, cultural role Wonder Woman got. The target audience of Tomb Raider was teenage boys. Also the movie was really shit.

Also late to the party, rofl. Hey black folks, you got some R rated b movie 20 years ago. Why are you not happy?

Black Panther and Wonder Woman offer role models and representation to especially little black kids and girls the way Superman and Batman and Spider-Man have for ages for little white boys. Google some cosplay, man.

I would advise you folks to actually watch and read how actual black people and women and react to this shit.

Deleted
    Blade is not an actual superhero in the way the caped crime fighters are. The movie was nearly all white with a nearly all white creative team. And the movie is rated R. It also did not exist in the same cinematic environment.

Tomb Raider is not a super hero either. And doesn't have anywhere the same historic, cultural role Wonder Woman got. The target audience of Tomb Raider was teenage boys. Also the movie was really shit.

Also late to the party, rofl. Hey black folks, you got some R rated b movie 20 years ago. Why are you not happy?

Black Panther and Wonder Woman offer role models and representation to especially little black kids and girls the way Superman and Batman and Spider-Man have for ages for little white boys. Google some cosplay, man.

I would advise you folks to actually watch and read how actual black people and women and react to this shit.
    I'm not saying they aren't good, I am saying the hype is overblown and overshadowing the movies merrits. Are you black or a woman?

10+ Year Old Account
    Art has always been political. It is inherently political. Every decision you make is deliberate. Do you think Star Wars, the Rebels fighting the Empire isn't political? Every story line, every character is steeped in the politics of their creators.

With Star Wars you're talking about the politics in the movie. That's different. I'm talking about real life political bullshit. Like people will say Trump is a racist and a sexist and they'll use movies like Black Panther and Wonder Woman and say "HA! Take that Trump!" and use those movies as a tool to fight people with instead of just enjoying it for what it is, if that makes sense.

Well they certainly aren't acting like it since they're constantly linking those movies to real life issues instead of just going to the movies to see them because they're a fan of those super heroes.

I'm not saying they aren't good, I am saying the hype is overblown and overshadowing the movies merrits. Are you black or a woman?
    Nope. But I listen to what black people and women say.

Deleted
    Besides Black Panther isn't a traditional superhero either

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. But I listen to what black people and women say.
    As do I so stop trying to present yourself as a higher authority than others. I know a lot of black people that related more to Blade than Black Panther