Question Self-made VPN : suggestions?

Hello,

long story short : I live in Ireland, and I'm looking to watch public TV streaming from Croatia, and therefore need to have my connection to look like coming from Croatia.

The plan I was looking for is to set at the family-in-law's place in Croatia a dedicated computer which I would connect through from Ireland to get access to Croatia-only on-line stuff. That's where VPN comes into play, right?

I'm somewhat IT-literate and I'm looking for advice from people who actually do / did something similar to know what piece of software you would recommend to set it up, or if Windows 7 has some already built-in features that would fit the job.

Any input appreciated, thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I use SSH as a secure proxy because it requires much less configuration than OpenVPN. You can run ssh or OpenVPN off a cheap computer like a raspberry pi3 or any old computer running some flavor of linux.

Here is a good tutorial on configuring that https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...a-socks-tunnel
    Keep in mind this doesn't cover ssh security best practices. You must setup key-based authentication and disable password authentication or someone will break into your system and probably use it for nefarious purposes. Optionally you can change ssh to run on a different port than 22 and set up the firewall to only allow remote access to your home IP in Ireland.

Deleted
    all of that is moot because you are unlikely to have good enough outgoing connection from your grandmas home to watch digital tv.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    all of that is moot because you are unlikely to have good enough outgoing connection from your grandmas home to watch digital tv.
    Apparently, a grandmother in law is a thing but I'd bet that when they said, in-law, they meant brother/sister in law or someone that isn't several generations older. Anyhow your point is probably moot given that they would have asked what the speed is around the same time they asked for permission to run such a service.

Oh I do that. I have a laptop with a VPN set up in grandparent's house in Florida.

Windows has a built in VPN that's really easy. But the one I use is an OpenVPN that I installed myself in Linux. I'm like 3 months behind on making a blog article on the process though...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Apparently, a grandmother in law is a thing but I'd bet that when they said, in-law, they meant brother/sister in law or someone that isn't several generations older. Anyhow your point is probably moot given that they would have asked what the speed is around the same time they asked for permission to run such a service.
    Not really. Somebody who has to ask about how to do such thing and what technologies to use for it is unlikely to think about things such as speed requirements. Many people are unaware that download and upload speed are not necessarily the same. Doesn't hurt to speak about it NOW instead troubleshoot it once its setup with 115Kbit modem.

@Op unless your relatives got high up-link connection I would look into paid proxies or vpns in location you are interested in connecting to.

Personally I don't trust free or selfmade vpn services. I'm in China now and there are many restrictions about using Internet. I had to use only well-known VPNs to get access to the US websites. So I do, I've found best vpn china reviews on Anta.Net. I prefer not to reinvent the wheel.
    Last edited by luckyjack; 2018-03-30 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyjack View Post
    I prefer not to reinvent the wheel.
    what? nobody is even talking about china here either.

anyway, as others said first thing you're gonna want to know is grandma's upload speed, because if she only has 1mb up it might just be worth using a free service instead

All i know is ive tried three different VPN's; tunnelbear, PIA and hotspot shield. HSS is a steaming pile, tunnelbear i couldnt get working properly and PIA just works, and has for over 2 years.

Wow i just realized this is a necro, shame on me lol.