Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Old Pruitt recordings show him doubting evolution

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...rove-theory-of

the Trump administration's head of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) told a Oklahoma radio station in 2005 that there wasn't "sufficient evidence" for him to accept the theory of evolution as fact, Politico reported Friday.

Pruitt, then an Oklahoma state senator, told state radio station KFAQ-AM during a six-hour civics class-style conversation that the origins of mankind was less a "scientific" question than a "philosophic" one.

“There aren’t sufficient scientific facts to establish the theory of evolution, and it deals with the origins of man, which is more from a philosophical standpoint than a scientific standpoint,” Pruitt says in the tapes uncovered by Politico.

Pruitt oversees an agency responsible for scientific studies upon which the Trump administration will base environmental policy. In the past, the former lawmaker has also expressed skepticism for the scientific theory of climate change.

The theory of evolution states that modern man evolved over time rather than being created in its present form. Ninety-eight percent of scientists in the American Association for the Advancement of Science say they accept this theory, compared to just 62 percent of the adult U.S. population, according to the Pew Research Center.

In the same interview, Pruitt did not dispute a statement from the radio host claiming that Islam is “not so much a religion as it is a terrorist organization.” The Oklahoma Republican defended the rights of Muslims to practice their faith in the U.S. so long as it isn't "manifested in violence."

“Our First Amendment should preserve the right of Hindus and Muslims to practice their faith. I believe that with all my heart. But what I don’t agree with is that because of that relationship, if it is manifested in violence as Gwen is saying, that we don’t have the right to deal with that," Pruitt said.

Presented with Pruitt's statements on the radio show, Republicans in Congress defended the EPA chief as a Christian whose beliefs naturally impact his work.

"All of us are people of faith and obviously influenced by our faith and the role it played in our life … and continue[s] to play in our life on a daily basis," said Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wy.), chairman of the Environment and Public Works Committee, which oversees Pruitt's agency. "It’s a part of who we are."

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was known that Pruitt is an anti-science corrupt incompetent moron. Continues to build that resume, at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the only type of crazy the Trump Administration is missing is a Flat-Earther?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Mountains and mountains of both scientific theory around evolution and observable evidence = not enough.

A book written ~1600yrs ago based on stories from 2000+ years ago = enough.

This is not a consistent mindset.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its one thing to say you don't believe in evolution. its another to say there isn't scientific evidence behind evolution. Those who say they don't believe in evidence usually don't place much faith in the scientific method. To so cite science as the reason you don't believe in evolution is pretty brazen (and ignorant).

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Its one thing to say you don't believe in evolution. its another to say there isn't scientific evidence behind evolution.
    That's the thing, though. They wouldn't know what constitutes evidence of evolution if it bit them in the ass...because they don't know what evolution IS in the first place. Half the time you'll get people talking about abiogenesis and cosmology as if those are part of evolution, and the rest of the time you'll get dipshits talking about crocoducks...

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    That's the thing, though. They wouldn't know what constitutes evidence of evolution if it bit them in the ass...because they don't know what evolution IS in the first place. Half the time you'll get people talking about abiogenesis and cosmology as if those are part of evolution, and the rest of the time you'll get dipshits talking about crocoducks...
    Crocoducks were awesome, why you hating?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Only the best people. Fucking idiots. We will look back on this time, this assault on logic, reason, science, and fact on the modern dark ages.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Its one thing to say you don't believe in evolution. its another to say there isn't scientific evidence behind evolution. Those who say they don't believe in evidence usually don't place much faith in the scientific method. To so cite science as the reason you don't believe in evolution is pretty brazen (and ignorant).
    You limey Trumpkin! Sorry, thought I'd keep a ridiculous theme going.

I'm not quite with you on your first point, but definitely with you on the remainder. And yeah, citing science to explain why you don't "believe" in evolution is beyond ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Mountains and mountains of both scientific theory around evolution and observable evidence = not enough.

A book written ~1600yrs ago based on stories from 2000+ years ago = enough.

This is not a consistent mindset.
    Agreed. Again, modern dark ages. History will look back on us and laaaaaaugh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    So the only type of crazy the Trump Administration is missing is a Flat-Earther?
    That and the Hollow Earther's - those guys are FUN.

Here's my surprised face:

Wait, never mind. Can't even fake the surprised face on this one.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Only the best morons.

10+ Year Old Account
    On behalf of Wyoming, I apologize for John Barasso. Please send some liberal illegals to my state so we can get a Democrat elected.

Pretty please?

With a cherry on top?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    in a weird way, it make sense. If you going to believe in fantasy, might as well go all the way to la la land.

Conversely, I wonder how those "reasonable" christians manage do it, to believe both in god fantasy and reality in the same time. When science destroys every miracles or facts from the scripture, cover to cover, how do you keep equal faith in both the holy and science?

Can you imagine if Trump actually hired only the best people and his administration was just a series of home runs?

but then that wouldn't be Trump's signature brand proposition.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    Can you imagine if Trump actually hired only the best people and his administration was just a series of home runs?

but then that wouldn't be Trump's signature brand proposition.
    Like, as an example, the 2 previous heads of the department of energy (which managed not only energy but nuclear sites as well) were
    - Steven Chu (PhD in physics, 1997 Nobel prize in physics),
    - Ernest Moniz (PhD in theoretical physics from Stanford, Head of the Physics department in MIT)

and Trump decide to put Rick Perry in charge instead, basically a career politician with no background in physics whatsoever.

Only the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    If NASA had a cabinet position associated with it, no doubt there would be.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Half the time you'll get people talking about abiogenesis and cosmology as if those are part of evolution, and the rest of the time you'll get dipshits talking about crocoducks...
    Just looked that up.

Can't believe that happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    I say burn the heretic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Like, as an example, the 2 previous heads of the department of energy (which managed not only energy but nuclear sites as well)
    "Nuclear sites" isn't being quite accurate.

The DoE's primary responsibility is the USA's nuclear weapons.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    "Nuclear sites" isn't being quite accurate.

The DoE's primary responsibility is the USA's nuclear weapons.
    more reason to put someone in charge that has a clue about what is nuclear. Of course management is important, but most high level scientist do manage teams or department already.

Humans have direct influence on the evolution of dogs, cats, horses, corn, and many other plants and animals. "Evolution doesn't exist!" -Crazy conservatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    more reason to put someone in charge that has a clue about what is nuclear. Of course management is important, but most high level scientist do manage teams or department already.
    A while back, NPR did an interview with the former head of the DoE, he seemed rather bullish on Rick Perry as his replacement, he worked with him extensively to prepare him to take over. While Perry was unqualified to say the least, it would seem his ignorance put him in a situation where he had to learn how to do the job as opposed to a more qualified person who assumed they knew what they're doing but do not. So, while not a great appointment initially, it would seem it worked out.