Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    in the steel war of 2002 USA was fined by WTO. will WTO sue the states again ?

Deleted
    The world should confiscate all of Trump's holdings on foreign soil, auction it all off and keep the proceeds for themselves, then put sanctions on Trump and all his friends, associates and all members of the current US gov. Also ban him from entering any other country, under the threat of shooting down his aircraft if he violates that ban.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...-cars-53487370

He's now also threatening a tax on EU cars, forcing a trade war between us and our closest allies. What in the ever loving fuck?
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...-cars-53487370

He's now also threatening a tax on EU cars, forcing a trade war between us and our closest allies. What in the ever loving fuck?
    This is gonna be fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's now also threatening a tax on EU cars, forcing a trade war between us and our closest allies.
    Please read, people: this was a threat, by Trump, against the EU, for threatening tariffs on US goods.

Which they did, because Trump put up tariffs on their steel.

In other words, Trump seems confused and upset that the friendly allies we used to have retaliated against his unilateral moves against them.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    we should fire everybody in Spartanburg etc. and show them the way to White House after. have fun without european cars Made in USA, for you will starve now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    in the steel war of 2002 USA was fined by WTO. will WTO sue the states again ?
    It depends on what is actually enacted. But, probably.

If Trump were to tariff specific countries because of illegal practices, then no. That's why Obama could do it in 2015, against China, for illegal dumping, and because of this China sends us less steel. Thing is, Trump's made no mention of doing that.

If Trump starts excluding countries, then yes. WTO rules about Most Favored Nation say you can't just apply sanctions because you feel like it. The way around that is to form a kind of trade alliance, such as NAFTA, and give those within that alliance a benefit. But Trump's not doing that. You can also leave out developing nations, but we don't really import much steel from those.

So, he could put tariffs on everyone, but he'd need a reason. The listed reason, "national security", is drawing ire. Mostly because it's a lying limp-dick IMPOTUS excuse, but also, because once Trump does it, everyone else can do it too. The WTO will fight back against the challenge to their entire reason for existing, and it's not like they'll find dissent amongst other countries.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    then who advised him about this nonsense ??

Deleted
    It spawned in his own mind.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    It spawned in his own mind.
    uuh
    nobody competent enough was present to talk him out of that ? just the story of the "steel war" of 2002 should be enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump: "If the E.U. wants to further increase their already massive tariffs and barriers on U.S. companies doing business there, we will simply apply a Tax on their Cars which freely pour into the U.S. They make it impossible for our cars (and more) to sell there. Big trade imbalance!"

Man, Trump loves to use the word "pour". Granted, it's a small word, 5th grade level, tweets well, but that's some word fixation.

By the way, we import more cars from Mexico than Germany.

And, also, from Japan.

And also, from Canada.

In fact, Japan and Canada each send us more cars than the EU combined.

"What about the UK? Did you count them?"

Yes, but I won't have to for long, will I? The EU, including the $9B we import from the UK, still sends us under $40B in cars -- which both Japan and Canada hit.

Also, Germany bought $7 billion in US cars in 2016. US and Spain are about tied for largest source of imports to Germany. That doesn't sound like "impossible to sell" to me. It sounds more like "Trump is making shit up again".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Also, Germany bought $7 billion in US cars in 2016. US and Spain are about tied for largest source of imports to Germany. That doesn't sound like "impossible to sell" to me. It sounds more like "Trump is making shit up again".
    I'll never understand what Germans want with that low quality trash from the US they call cars. Even Lada builds better cars.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

Aside from Ford, which does produce cars here in germany and would import parts for sure, i wonder about that 7bn figure.
    to be blunt: we do not import that much cars from US itself; nobody really wants them here. besides they would probably violate EU regulations too.

No one advised him of it that we're aware of. Multiple reports stated he wanted it a few days ago, had his advisers start planning out the "paperwork," then just became unhinged about something, started screaming, demanded it now, and his advisers didn't even have the two weeks to get the "paperwork" in order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    No one advised him of it that we're aware of. Multiple reports stated he wanted it a few days ago, had his advisers start planning out the "paperwork," then just became unhinged about something, started screaming, demanded it now, and his advisers didn't even have the two weeks to get the "paperwork" in order.
    Look, it's one insult to a country if its leader breeds such silly ideas.
    but if nobody is able to stop that behind closed doors, so it wont escape to twitter, for everybody in the world to witness how utter incompetent Trump AND WH are: that's sheer BS.
    and it happened twice about that topic now with that silly threat to the car industry.
    do you really want to move on with that president ?

my soon-to-be-reelected chancellor Merkel is also questionable, i would give you that. but usually she is stopped soon if she talks out of her butt.

He has some people in his circle that advise him even on this matters but his more sane advisers and staff usually talk him out of ideas..

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    I love it when the fat idiot blusters.

He has no way to impose a tariff on EU cars. He only managed to do it with steel and aluminum thanks to a twisted reading of an obscure law on national security. Good luck reasoning that some European sports car falls under that category.

So, he'd have to go through Congress, and Congress won't do it. Can't say the same for Canada and the EU, though. They seem rightfully pissed, and Trump's already shot his load.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    What if Trump responds with an infrastructure bill, that mandates spending on steel and aluminum?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/30/trum...nvestment.html

Trump calls for $1.5 trillion infrastructure bill during State of the Union speech

That’s with current steel and aluminum prices. That number will need to go up...
    Nah. It'll stay there, give it a few months or a year plus trade wars, that 1.5 trillion dollars will build a metal bench in DC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Look, it's one insult to a country if its leader breeds such silly ideas.
    but if nobody is able to stop that behind closed doors, so it wont escape to twitter, for everybody in the world to witness how utter incompetent Trump AND WH are: that's sheer BS.
    and it happened twice about that topic now with that silly threat to the car industry.
    do you really want to move on with that president ?
    Yes, it is sheer BS. And no, we don't want to move on with this president. But his own party is in control of all branches of the government and has made it quite clear that they don't give two shits about how badly he's fucking over the country so long as he'll sign their agenda into law.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    I'll never understand what Germans want with that low quality trash from the US they call cars. Even Lada builds better cars.
    Maybe they play bumper cars on the autobahn with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.