Thread: Avengers Arena

Avengers Arena

So I just started reading Avengers Arena and am enjoying it. What comics are you guys reading currently? I'm obviously also reading x-men red and all-new wolverine.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Mighty Thor: Jason Aaron is a GOD, the work he's been doing on Thor since God of Thunder has been nothing short of legendary. The current arc "The Death of Mighty Thor" has been out of this world. The latest issues, combining Odin and Odinson's battle with the Mangog, Loki and Freyja's first meeting since he (literally) stabbed her in the back, and Jane Foster's backstory was a real rollercoaster... And we all know what's coming.

Invincible Iron Man: From the Sublime, to the Ridiculous. I'm not really sure why I'm still reading Iron Man... the quality has declined of late and I only really enjoy the Doom plot, and even that has been lacking recently.

Doctor Strange: Donny Cates FTW. He's been doing great work with Strange, I was worried when he took over after Aaron's excellent "Last Days of Magic" and I wasn't sure anything could beat that... Then I read "Loki: Sorcerer Supreme" WHAT a run. Excited to see what comes next! Also, Bats ftw.

Thanos: GREAT fun, this book started slowly, but the "Thanos Wins" arc has been outstanding, Cosmic Ghost Rider is a legend, King Thanos is a serious Monster and as for the Fallen One... Hell yes!

Captain America: Eh, it's alright. At this stage I'm mostly waiting for Ta Nehisi Coates to take over.

Batman White Knight: Expectations were very high for this run, but it's somehow exceeded even that. GREAT art work, interesting story and one of my favourite ever versions of the Joker. Can't wait to see how this ends... Although I kind of hope it doesn't.

Saga: This book started off SO well, I feel like it's lost a bit of it's steam in recent chapters, I keep reading because it still has such prior credit, and I hope that they can recapture some of that old magic.

The Wicked + The Divine(TPB): omfg, I love this book so much. After the epic cliffhanger at the end of Imperial Phase I, I was a bit worried when part II started off a little slow, but holy shit it picked up and the ending was somehow even MORE of a cliffhanger than the first part. I MAY have to move to monthly issues, not sure I can wait for the next TPB.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    So I just started reading Avengers Arena and am enjoying it. What comics are you guys reading currently? I'm obviously also reading x-men red and all-new wolverine.
    I liked Avengers Arena somewhat, but I don't think it did a lot of it's characters justice, either.

As for current books, I mostly read trades so I'm not up to current events on these series but I am current through the latest trades.

Marvel:
    Punisher
    Hawkeye Kate Bishop(ends this month)
    Gwenpool(also ends this month)
    Venom
    All New Wolverine
    Captain America
    Black Panther
    Moon Knight
    Ms. Marvel
    Mighty Thor(if the next trade doesn't improve I'm dropping it, FosterThor has been pretty dull up to this point)
    Dr. Strange
    Spider-Gwen
    Champions(gonna drop this one)

DC:
    Batman
    Detective Comics
    Aquaman
    Supergirl
    Batgirl
    Injustice 2
    Titans(may drop this one)

Image:
    Wicked+Divine
    Seven to Eternity
    Kill or Be Killed

Valiant:
    Bloodshot
    X-O Manowar
    Harbinger Renegades

Misc:
    Animosity
    The Shadow
    Predator

In addition to the above currently ongoing titles, I recently finished The Boys, Preacher, Astonishing X-Men, and the Swamp Thing Winter Special one-shot. I am also reading the trades DC has been releasing of Peter David's Supergirl run from the 90's.

King's Batman run is the only thing I am buying in issues. It's fantastic.

I'll read whatever I see come out but I these are the titles I look for:

Marvel:
    Amazining Spider-man
    Spectacular Spider-man
    Despicable Deadpool
    Cable
    Xmen Gold
    Xmen Blue
    Astonishing Xmen
    Venom
    All New Wolverine
    Invincible Ironman
    Black Bolt
    Captain America (I don't know why I still read this one, its been pretty meh since Nick Spencer left)
    Ms. Marvel
    Mighty Thor
    Champions
    Daredevil

DC:
    Batman
    Detective Comics
    Action Comics
    Superman
    Teen Titans
    Super sons
    Justice League
    Justice League of America
    The Silencer
    Green Lanterns
    Hal Jordan
    Injustice 2
    Titans
    Batman Beyond
    Wonder Woman
    Mr. Miracle

I can't remember who the publisher is but I've been enjoying Birthright.

Edit: I also forgot Spider-Man (the Miles Morales one)
    Last edited by Jotaux; 2018-03-05 at 08:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Marvel:
    Captain America (I don't know why I still read this one, its been pretty meh since Nick Spencer left)
    Yeah, the quality has dropped quite sharply of late. Really hoping that Coates can pull it back, I'll give it... 3 issues, after the writer swap. Then I'lll see how it is.

DC:
    Green Lanterns
    Hal Jordan
    How are these going? I always wanted to start GL, but I wasn't sure if the run was worth it.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    How are these going? I always wanted to start GL, but I wasn't sure if the run was worth it.
    They're pretty good. Hal Jordan is more about the GL Corps as a whole and builds off of all the established history (you don't need to have read the last 40 or so years to understand whats going on though). Green Lanterns is more focused on the two new earth lanterns Jessica and Simon and is targeted at new readers as it explains the origins of the GL corps.

Oddly enough sometimes it seems like John Stewart is the star of the Hal Jordan comic.
    Last edited by Jotaux; 2018-03-05 at 08:08 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I’m reading to many to keep track of off the top of my head but here’s a few.
    Moon girl
    Scarlet spider
    All new wolverine.
    Ice man.
    All of secret empire.
    New run always run.
    New venom run.
    New spirts of vengeance (so happy to see ghost rider again)
    Dark knights metal I guess but I’ve been skipping though a lot of it have lost interest in most of it.
    Injustice 2.
    Batman
    And more I can’t remeber.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Dark knights metal I guess but I’ve been skipping though a lot of it have lost interest in most of it.
    I completely forgot about Datk knights Metal, I’m reading that and doomsday clock as well.

7+ Year Old Account
    I completely forgot about Datk knights Metal, I’m reading that and doomsday clock as well.
    Dooms day clock is one I need to read, I think I read the first issue but then forgot about it. I have a back log of dc I’ve been meaning to get though but other then injustice and Batman I’ve been putting most of my reading time in to marvel.

Those of you reading All-new Wolverine. What do you guys think of Gabby?

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    They're pretty good. Hal Jordan is more about the GL Corps as a whole and builds off of all the established history (you don't need to have read the last 40 or so years to understand whats going on though). Green Lanterns is more focused on the two new earth lanterns Jessica and Simon and is targeted at new readers as it explains the origins of the GL corps.

Oddly enough sometimes it seems like John Stewart is the star of the Hal Jordan comic.
    Sounds like exactly what I was looking for. I've read a few of the major GL stories (Darkest Night/Brightest Day, Sinestro causing all his shit) but never really followed a series. Is there a decent jumping on point, or should I just start at Rebirth #1?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Sounds like exactly what I was looking for. I've read a few of the major GL stories (Darkest Night/Brightest Day, Sinestro causing all his shit) but never really followed a series. Is there a decent jumping on point, or should I just start at Rebirth #1?
    Rebirth #1 is good enough. I really should go back and read the GL comics, its just so daunting to catch up. Comics Explained is a really good youtube channel that explains a lot of the story lines in comics. I like him because hes so enthused about everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Dooms day clock is one I need to read, I think I read the first issue but then forgot about it. I have a back log of dc I’ve been meaning to get though but other then injustice and Batman I’ve been putting most of my reading time in to marvel.
    To be honest, DC has been killing it with rebirth.

10+ Year Old Account
    For DC

I got back into DC again as the new Rebirth stuff was amazing, really fixed the shit hole that was the New 52 which kind of killed DC for me at a point. But since Rebirth I have come back to DC again.

Detective Comics, Batman, Justice League, Justice League of America, Titans and Teen Titans

From Marvel

Still reading X-Men related side of Marvel :P

X-Men Blue, X-Men Gold. Astonishing X-Men, All New Wolverine, Iceman, Jean Gray, and Weapon X

Been hearing good things about USAvengers though, I been wanting to get into that.

Funny thing is a lot of people think she is annoying and hate her with a passion, I think she is quite adorable, like one of those old school sidekicks but not entirely useless. The way Gabby and Laura work off each other is pretty good too, its like a sister/younger sister relationship. And for what it is I don't mind it.
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-03-06 at 01:06 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    For DC

I got back into DC again as the new Rebirth stuff was amazing, really fixed the shit hole that was the New 52 which kind of killed DC for me at a point. But since Rebirth I have come back to DC again.

Detective Comics, Batman, Justice League, Justice League of America, Titans and Teen Titans

From Marvel

Still reading X-Men related side of Marvel :P

X-Men Blue, X-Men Gold. Astonishing X-Men, All New Wolverine, All New Wolverine, Iceman, Jean Gray, and Weapon X

Been hearing good things about USAvengers though, I been wanting to get into that.

Funny thing is a lot of people think she is annoying and hate her with a passion, I think she is quite adorable, like one of those old school sidekicks but not entirely useless. The way Gabby and Laura work off each other is pretty good too, its like a sister/younger sister relationship. And for what it is I don't mind it.
    I agree that Gabby is a great character.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

7+ Year Old Account
    Been enjoying her so far really enjoyed when her and her sisters showed up.

- - - Updated - - -

Rebirth #1 is good enough. I really should go back and read the GL comics, its just so daunting to catch up. Comics Explained is a really good youtube channel that explains a lot of the story lines in comics. I like him because hes so enthused about everything.

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest, DC has been killing it with rebirth.
    I’ve heard nothing but good things about rebirth the problem I have is finding the story’s I want to go though as there are so many.