Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Would it be ethical to Raise the Dead?

Ok lets say for argument sake that in 100 years technology has gotten to a point where people who have died could be resurrected and there bodies rebuilt would it be ethical to do so on someone who is dead or have been dead for a while?

I mean even if you believe in a heaven and it would mean there or your soul being dragged back to your body or if you dont believe in an afterlife and you just wake up after being dead would that be a ok thing to do knowing those who have died never gave there consent to being resurrected or may not even want to go back to being alive?

Would you yourself want to be resurrected in the future or would you prefer stay dead also would you do it to a family member even if you know they never gave consent?

We raise the dead every voting cycle, at least this way they will have their own voice. (j/k)

We ressurect people at hospitals for years. Its even legal to family members to opt for no ressurection methods.

If you are saying something stupid like walking dead zombies, then its never ever going to happen, not even in 1k+ years. Maybe if we got some brain freeze technique before brain death occurs, but then its "soul" would remain here.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddger View Post
    Ok lets say for argument sake that in 100 years technology has gotten to a point where people who have died could be resurrected and there bodies rebuilt would it be ethical to do so on someone who is dead or have been dead for a while?
    If you got their consent and it still valid, yes.

*laughs in necromancy*

Ethical right up until their family discovers this means giving back the inheritance and the life insurance money, then it's "back in the box, gramps".

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    Ethical right up until their family discovers this means giving back the inheritance and the life insurance money, then it's "back in the box, gramps".
    no, they died once, which qualifies the relatives to inheritance.

Considering I don’t believe in souls or an afterlife a simple legal document should suffice.

10+ Year Old Account
    The major religions would make a big issue out of this. Look at stamcel research within the Church and how some factions react to that concept or just look at abortion.

Resurrection would be one thing all religions could find a mutual point on compared to let's say abortion where Islam has a different view compared to catholics.

If you have to rebuild their bodies, aren't you really talking more about cloning than resurrection?

I mean even if you believe in a heaven and it would mean there or your soul being dragged back to your body or if you dont believe in an afterlife and you just wake up after being dead would that be a ok thing to do knowing those who have died never gave there consent to being resurrected or may not even want to go back to being alive?

Would you yourself want to be resurrected in the future or would you prefer stay dead also would you do it to a family member even if you know they never gave consent?
    In a situation like the one you are describing, you are asking the wrong question. Ethics is not what you would be asking in doing such an incredible act. You should instead be asking the benefit. Is this someone who has something to contribute to society in such a way that warrants their extended life? Is this someone who wants to be alive? Is this a method which would retain their intelligence, their memories, their abilities at any level?

I cannot imagine there are very many people who'd rather be dead than alive, so in terms of ethics, there is no question. Ethics is irrelevant.

Honestly it depends on several factors.

1. Does the family want this?
    The suffering and happiness of those living should be the priority when no clear and decisive word from the deceased exists.

2. Does the person have religious or spiritual beliefs in an afterlife?
    If so, it's probably unwise to bring them back from their perceived eternal rewards.

3. Was the person at peace with their death?
    If someone made peace with their end, and died of old age after their goodbyes, it's probably not the best idea to bring them back. If they died in a sudden accident, they may be more ready to resume where they left off.

4. How young and adaptable was the person?
    You are taking a person to a new time. With new technology. New concepts. And a world and people that have aged. Can they handle this, or were they too unadaptable or old to adjust to the progress of society? If the latter, it could be a disservice.

Would I want to be risen again? Hell yes. But I think for the average person, there are a lot of factors to consider.

That is actually why I refuse to be cremated. I've always said say in thousands of years some form of tech is invented to revive all our dead.

Imagine we have reached the stars explored the galaxy etc run into another civilization war breaks out maybe we are losing we need more numbers. Tech is invented to raise the dead. They go back to earth and revive everyone with a intact body you have the option of being put back down or fighting (in some way whether it be a solider or something else to help out) and when the war is over you will then be put through educational classes to get you caught up on the past thousand years videos tours etc and off to live a new life.

That would be amazing. I don't want to die I don't want to miss all the awesome things that we will invent discover explore etc in the centurys to come. So when I die if I could be brought back later to see how our civilization has advanced that would be awesome.

Does personhood persist past death? Currently it does not. You'd have to invent new legal and moral frameworks to even begin to approach the question.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It would be a miracle.

There are people that have their bodies frozen seconds or minutes after passing in the hopes of one day being thawed again and living a second life in the future where advanced medicine will be able to prologue their lives. Since cryogenic people are considered legally dead; bringing them back to life would be a form of raising the dead.

I always wondered about the implications of the choice of having ones self frozen. Once you are dead your body is no longer yours and in essence you become property. either of family or of the company that holds your body.

What if the company goes bankrupt and another one buys it, they store your body together with thousands of others in a nation where they have different laws, or maybe in space where there are no laws or no people to enforce them. Fifty years from now they have the ability to resurrect you, and they do. However since they have stored you for such a long time they argue that for the safekeeping of your body and the resurrection you now owe them. And in order to pay of your dept and regain your freedom you'd have to work in the most barren conditions imaginable.

Welcome to the future...

I would say only use it on anyone who died before their time. Car accidents, shootings, falling off cliffs, etc. I wouldn't suggest using it on old men who die peacefully in their sleep. Kind of a moot point seeing if you are at the point where you can rebuild bodies and bring back all those dead cells in their body, you'll probably be at the point where natural death is nonexistent anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    The major religions would make a big issue out of this. Look at stamcel research within the Church and how some factions react to that concept or just look at abortion.

Resurrection would be one thing all religions could find a mutual point on compared to let's say abortion where Islam has a different view compared to catholics.
    You realize there are religions out there that say nothing about the afterlife. Hinduism would just see it as just a different state of change. Buddhism might just see it as a case were you were that righteous and just need to try again. Some sects of Judaism say nothing about after-life.

And on second thought... Would we not find out who it "right"?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    Laws would just get changed one way or another.....

- - - Updated - - -

Why not? Bring someone back like Mark Twain for fun times and quirky laughs!

A man arrives in the ER with the words "Do not resurrect" tattooed across his chest.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland