I don't think it's a scam, just an extremely poorly managed project that has no incentive to finish in a timely manner due to the whales buying jpgs.

Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    I don't think it's a scam, just an extremely poorly managed project that has no incentive to finish in a timely manner due to the whales buying jpgs.
    I agree, but the end result is just about the same. CIG has no incentive to actually finish the game, assuming they will actually hold on to their promise to make all ships available in-game at release of which I am highly doubtful of.

So in the meantime, they will spend as long as possible selling hundred (!) or even thousand (!!!) dollar video game spaceships that sometimes don't even exist for a game that also mostly doesn't even exist yet. How can so many people have so much money to throw on starship yet choose their purchases so poorly is utterly beyond me. You could go on Steam and buy hundreds upon hundreds of hours of good gaming for the price of these pixels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    How can so many people have so much money to throw on starship yet choose their purchases so poorly is utterly beyond me. You could go on Steam and buy hundreds upon hundreds of hours of good gaming for the price of these pixels.
    Remeber that many believe that Earth is flat

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    Remeber that many believe that Earth is flat
    The Earth is obviously flat else all the water would just run down to the bottom - common sense ...

Oh I'm sure it wasn't intended as a scam but anyone with any sort of inclination on what sort of project manager Chris Roberts is realized the moment they started adding extra goals that the game was lost.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Oh I'm sure it wasn't intended as a scam but anyone with any sort of inclination on what sort of project manager Chris Roberts is realized the moment they started adding extra goals that the game was lost.
    As i said, if you want make Chris Roberts works you need a tight leash on him.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's in common between bycicle and Chris Roberts? Both don't work without chain.

The Earth is obviously flat else all the water would just run down to the bottom - common sense ...
    Nah, it's obviously round because if it was flat, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now. :P

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Nah, it's obviously round because if it was flat, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now. :P
    Thank you, that made me chuckle

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Nothing wrong with wanting to have an ambitious scope to your project. Sure, they bit off way more than they can chew.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Nothing wrong with wanting to have an ambitious scope to your project. Sure, they bit off way more than they can chew.
    There's difference between ambitious and Chris Roberts.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Plenty of wrong, as we can see on this example. There is nothing wrong with having REALISTIC scope for your project.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Plenty of wrong, as we can see on this example. There is nothing wrong with having REALISTIC scope for your project.
    Maybe they felt that they could do it. There are a lot of reasons why things are so delayed, having to pretty much rewrite your entire engine code doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    I totally see how we got here though. SC is an unprecedented fundraiser for this kind of project, as I have said before in this thread I think. Maybe even many times. He was never going to make the game they initially set out to make with the funding and expectations piling up. I don't think it is a scam, but I almost think someone more objective needs to come in and set the scope with the resources they have.

I would be surprised if there was anyone left not deeply concerned with the state of this game currently. I am now happy to call this one improbable because the feature creep and failure to hit targets doesn't seem to have been tempered at all.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Maybe they felt that they could do it. There are a lot of reasons why things are so delayed, having to pretty much rewrite your entire engine code doesn't help.
    One reason: Chris Roberts and his fragile ego.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I totally see how we got here though. SC is an unprecedented fundraiser for this kind of project, as I have said before in this thread I think. Maybe even many times. He was never going to make the game they initially set out to make with the funding and expectations piling up. I don't think it is a scam, but I almost think someone more objective needs to come in and set the scope with the resources they have.

I would be surprised if there was anyone left not deeply concerned with the state of this game currently. I am now happy to call this one improbable because the feature creep and failure to hit targets doesn't seem to have been tempered at all.
    There were no expectations - Chris Roberts started adding goals and promises because he is incapable of doing otherwise. There is a reason his projects and games were finished - he was supervised.

7+ Year Old Account
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

This new SSD comes with a code to play SC. Is it a beta code or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomislav View Post
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

This new SSD comes with a code to play SC. Is it a beta code or something?
    It comes with a code for a specific ship (Sabre Raven) and starter package (access to the game), exclusive to that product.

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    It comes with a code for a specific ship (Sabre Raven) and starter package (access to the game), exclusive to that product.
    Code for a ship or code for a jpg of a ship?

Deleted
    i gotta admit, the stuff they are showing in the atvs looks super nice. maybe when it gets released 19/20 ? prices for new hardware gets a bit better, running that game must require a top notch gaming rig.

Quote Originally Posted by FujoshiQueen View Post
    i gotta admit, the stuff they are showing in the atvs looks super nice. maybe when it gets released 19/20 ? prices for new hardware gets a bit better, running that game must require a top notch gaming rig.
    Make it 22-25, if you're the optimistic beyond reason sort of person

They don't even have real alpha build yet. They've just recently released barely functiontal vertical slice. And that's after 7 years of developement.
    Last edited by Wilian; 2018-03-08 at 03:23 PM.