Poll: Are you an Organ donor?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    A myth that shouldn’t be continued.

“MYTH: If emergency room doctors know you’re an organ donor, they won’t work as hard to save you.

FACT: If you are sick or injured and admitted to the hospital, the number one priority is to save your life. Organ donation can only be considered after brain death has been declared by a physician. Many states have adopted legislation allowing individuals to legally designate their wish to be a donor should brain death occur, although in many states Organ Procurement Organizations also require consent from the donor’s family.”

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/donor-demised/
    No way Dr Blossom I know you would pull my plug "Oh No he's brain dead trust me" let's get those organs LOL

You're not fooling me, but that said thanks for the link, and you're right, but it still my fear. And there are shady greedy folks that wouldn't mind pulling strings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    it sure feels like the OP is building a massive database about everyone.
    Of course YOU do.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    If I’m brain dead, pull the plug and take the organs - take anything you want. Fuck living like that.
    I'll just run for President then.

Deleted
    I am an organ donor, if I can help someone/prevent something usable going to waste I usually will.
    Also am an advocate for stemcell/cloning reasearch and practices.
    Lastly, slurpees are called slushies in my country and I like the blue, purple and green ones of those.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Yup, everyone in my country is a donor unless they opt out.
    You have no idea how much I wish that was true here.

10+ Year Old Account
    *Ba Dum Tish*
    My first Executive Order is going to be Everybody has to be an Organ Donor or Opt Out, except me, if anybody even looks at me and says Organs, they go to jail immediately. Alright I am done with that.

But yeap OT still freaks me out.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes I am and they can take from me everything expect my eyes

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was updating my military ID last year, the guy taking the picture saw I had organ donor on it and gave me the whole spiel about doctors “not trying hard on the patient”. I wanted to call him out on it, but I just kept my mouth shut - not worth it.
    No, I can see what you mean, picking your battles especially at the DMV hahaha!

I wouldn't pretend it's not my my failing but yeah you're right on this, still doesn't change the fact, I am don't trust too much Discovery ID

Nope - I'm still using them.

I may or may not become an organ donor after I die - that will be up to the doctors to decide I expect.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I have clauses so they keep me alive for 2 years if in a coma just in case, so I am not a donor unless I have instant brain death or after the 2 years.

Deleted
    Are you an Organ donor?

No

Why or Why not?

It is against my religious beliefs.

Follow up:
    How do you feel about embryonic stem cells research, or cloning for things like hearts, lungs and living human organs?

As long as it is not harvested from fetuses that were aborted and if the parents consent to it then I'm fine with it.

Bonus question
    What's your Favorite Slurpee?

Strawberry, too.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2018-03-07 at 02:03 PM.

“MYTH: If emergency room doctors know you’re an organ donor, they won’t work as hard to save you.

FACT: If you are sick or injured and admitted to the hospital, the number one priority is to save your life. Organ donation can only be considered after brain death has been declared by a physician. Many states have adopted legislation allowing individuals to legally designate their wish to be a donor should brain death occur, although in many states Organ Procurement Organizations also require consent from the donor’s family.”

Non-heartbeating donors don't require a brain death, and surgery to "harvest donors" begins in several nations a short time after the heartbeat stopped, despite, reanimation could still in theory be possible. Including doctors, causing the heart to stop beating. Which technically is killing the patient to harvest. We are talking about people who could possibly recover, which isn't the case for brain dead.
    Lobbies are advocating for that shit to get MORE donated organs, and I am pretty sure, they won't stop there in the future.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Nope - I'm still using them.

I may or may not become an organ donor after I die - that will be up to the doctors to decide I expect.
    You can't donate after you die. You donate while living, but brain dead.

You can also donate before that, like a kidney, part of your liver, blood and bone marrow, so 'I'm still using them' is not a problem

Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    but brain dead.
    Yeah - after I die.
    Don't know about you - but I am in my brain, your construction may of course be different

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Yes, I hope my death can help save a life.

I am now. Wasn't for many years because my parents believed the 'needing to be whole when you die' myth.

My 'why' is dark. I spent most of my life depressed and with a death wish. It's grossly unfair there are people out there who genuinely want to live while I did not. Honestly, I've always thought it was a shame I couldn't just submit myself for harvesting. It would've ended my suffering and saved the lives of so many people. There were several years before I met my spouse I had no close friends or family, my loss wouldn't have been felt by anyone and I can confidently say I wouldn't have regretted the decision. Maybe your next thread should be why humans as a species insist upon trying to save people who don't want to be saved.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

What part of that is supposed to be the argument against it? That you need to be declared brain-dead? Golly ye, bleeding out after a car accident will certainly not lead to that sooner than later..

Look I know that serving as someones spare parts store is awsome and all that, I'm a blood donor since I was 18. But trust is earned and I live in a smaller town where I wouldn't put it past anyone to be corruptable for 100 bucks and a free round of drinks. My trust for some doctor in our local rinky-dinky hospital doesn't go further than I can throw them.

Nah...I'm taking it all to my grave.
    And I don't do Slurpees.

I am, whatever can improve someone else's life should be useful - because I won't be using them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish being an organ donor was easier than it is. I'd like to donate my organs if there was absolutely no chance i'd ever make it back, but even if it's .0001%, i'd rather let my organs deteriorate while allowing me a chance at coming back. Hypothetical, there's some rich couple whose kid needs a liver. Lets assume I'm an organ donor and I was in a car crash which resulted with me being in a very deep coma. There's an arguable chance that I can come back but it's slim. The thought of doctors and this rich couple trying to convince my family/friends to pull the plug so that their kid can have my liver.... Well... That just doesn't sit well with me. I don't want to give the doctors a reason to begin giving up on me and focusing on how my body can benefit others.

Again i'd love nothing more than to save a child with my organs assuming there's absolutely no way I'd ever come back. Like if I were in a deep coma but my brain was severely damaged and I'd be nothing but a vegetable.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Deleted
    Are you an Organ donor?

No.

Why or Why not?
    Because despite what people say there are plenty of cases where doctors rush to declare a patient brain dead in order to harvest your organs. Whether they are corrupt or incompetent matters little to me, but if there is even a 0.001% chance that I can wake up eventually, I will take it.
    There have been thousands of cases around the world where miraculous recoveries have happened in spite of what doctors have declared.

I simply can't trust a stranger whose motives are unknown with my life, nor do I think it is more morally acceptable for a doctor to butcher you for organs because it might save someone while at the same time ignoring the oath they took to do everything in their power to save a life. My life, which you know, believe it or not, matters more to me than that of a stranger.

Follow up:
    How do you feel about embryonic stem cells research, or cloning for things like hearts, lungs and living human organs?

I don't have a problem with it, and I didn't have a problem with it when I was still a christian. As long as it is done ethically of course. Nothing like "the Island" movie or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    What part of that is supposed to be the argument against it? That you need to be declared brain-dead? Golly ye, bleeding out after a car accident will certainly not lead to that sooner than later..

Look I know that serving as someones spare parts store is awsome and all that, I'm a blood donor since I was 18. But trust is earned and I live in a smaller town where I wouldn't put it past anyone to be corruptable for 100 bucks and a free round of drinks. My trust for some doctor in our local rinky-dinky hospital doesn't go further than I can throw them.
    I don't know why people post that shit like it's supposed to be some sort of proof that doctors will 100% never betray your trust or screw you over. It's the official stance on the issue that the hospital has adopted. It's not like any doctor will ever agree to state otherwise, since you know, that's considered malpractice.
    There are hundreds, if not thousands of cases in the US and UK alone where doctors have been bribed to declare someone brain dead intentionally so that their organs could be harvested. Guess that statement was a lot of comfort for the families whose loved ones got butchered for spare parts.
    Last edited by mmoc438dc94cad; 2018-03-07 at 11:58 PM.