Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Nintendo expected to overtake Microsoft in 2018

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...rosoft-in-2018

Nintendo is expected to have a larger share of the console market than Microsoft this year as the Switch continues to perform well.

Analysis from IHS Markit reveals that over $10 billion was spent globally on Xbox hardware, software and services in 2017, while spending on Nintendo products was around $8 billion. This is approximately double what the Japanese firm achieved in 2016, while Microsoft actually saw a slight year-on-year dip.

Nintendo's growth was predominantly driven by the launch of Switch, but also the release of the SNES Classic and continued sales of the 3DS.

Looking ahead, IHS Markit predicts spending on Nintendo products and services to be over $11 billion in 2018, while Microsoft is expected to dip to around $9 billion.

In fact, growth for Nintendo is expected detract from spending on both Xbox and PlayStation, especially as those two consoles enter the later stage of their lifecycle. However, PlayStation will almost certainly hold its position as market leader.

Spending on PlayStation products and services rose to well over $20 billion in 2017. While it is expected to dip slightly this year, it will still remain past that milestone.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems pretty obvious. I'm thankful for this generation for one reason: It showed that games > all. You know which consoles have great libararies of games? The Switch and PS4. Wanna know which are selling the best? The Switch and the PS4.

Microsoft needs to focus on strengthing its first party offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Seems pretty obvious. I'm thankful for this generation for one reason: It showed that games > all. You know which consoles have great libararies of games? The Switch and PS4. Wanna know which are selling the best? The Switch and the PS4.

Microsoft needs to focus on strengthing its first party offerings.
    Yep I'm happy to see Nintendo do great, It means we get more great games. The Switch does have faults (what console doesn't) but overall its a awesome system.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Much better than Microsofts slapped together products.
    Oh here we go again

(Waits patiently for those two guys)
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Much better than Microsofts slapped together products.
    Nothing wrong with the products. Systems and Controllers are great for the Xbox One. TBH they're the best engineered products in the industry in that regard.

They just blow ass at supporting it with software.(Or I guess you could say "lack of product" on the software side).

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Nothing wrong with the products. Systems and Controllers are great for the Xbox One. TBH they're the best engineered products in the industry in that regard.

They just blow ass at supporting it with software.(Or I guess you could say "lack of product" on the software side).
    Meh I disagree about them being the best but different strokes. I still feel the PS4 controller is the best fallowed by the 360 (maybe tied with XB1 here). Not saying its a bad controller tho (besides the chalky feel on the white one fuck all of that).

Different strokes for different fokes tho.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Oh here we go again

(Waits patiently for those two guys)
    Want some popcorn while you wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Meh I disagree about them being the best but different strokes. I still feel the PS4 controller is the best fallowed by the 360 (maybe tied with XB1 here). Not saying its a bad controller tho (besides the chalky feel on the white one fuck all of that).

- - - Updated - - -

Want some popcorn while you wait?
    it's in the microwave as we speak
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    it's in the microwave as we speak
    Nice

/10char

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    It's strange, this has been a consistent trend for pretty much all of the modern console era, yet every generation people still seem to get hung up on specs. I guess you can make the argument that some consoles like the Wii also had strong mass-market gimmicks that contributed to their success, and consoles like the PS1 invested in smarter rather than more powerful tech than their competitors, but typically the success of consoles is all about their killer apps.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's possible it might accelerate faster depending on tomorrow's direct. Pokemon plus a huge surprise (fzero?) would sell a lot of consoles.

10+ Year Old Account
    cant wait to have shit sony releases 10 years later by nintendo
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

Nothing to do with the anecdotal of which controller you like better but the build quality of the DS4 is ass. From the peeling grips to the trigger springs being easily worn out and faulty in games that require high pressure for certain controls. You don't really see those problems with the Xbox One controller.

I would personally like the DS4 better, if they weren't fragile as hell.

And while you don't have the same problem on the hardware side(PS4s don't really break that often) the Xbox One systems do feel better made. Less flimsy, quieter and don't get as hot.

That is why I feel product wise they're fine. The Xbox One hardware is designed by the surface team and it shows. If only they put that quality into actually making games...

10+ Year Old Account

I dont even know what happened to microsoft. They were doing pretty good for about 1-2 years and then almost no exclusives since then. Its so bad Im not even sure they can hit xbox 360 numbers with the 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I dont even know what happened to microsoft. They were doing pretty good for about 1-2 years and then almost no exclusives since then. Its so bad Im not even sure they can hit xbox 360 numbers with the 1.
    Dude are you from 2 years ago or something? There is no way they are selling nearly 90 million XBOs. So yea, they're not hitting 360 numbers...

They got overtaken in the markets they dominated in during the 360. They're even deader in the markets Sony dominated then the 360 era.

They will be lucky to hit 60 mil life time. Maybe not even 50. We'll never know though because MS stopped releasing official numbers once they got so far behind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    If it ain't dude bro multiplayer shooters they cancel it and they only sell well in one market because of it. They probably felt cawadoody sales would carry it. Remember when the head of xbox(i think)said they expect 1 billion consoles sold? Fucking lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    If it ain't dude bro multiplayer shooters they cancel it and they only sell well in one market because of it. They probably felt cawadoody sales would carry it. Remember when the head of xbox(i think)said they expect 1 billion consoles sold? Fucking lol.
    They're losing the shooter crowd as well. Pretty much every multiplat sells better on PS4 these days, even in the US where the XBO is still actual competition.

The only major multiplat that does better on Xbox anymore is Madden. That has a lot to do with MS being official sponsors of the NFL, probably a lot of just random football fans who own an Xbox and only buy the new madden each year.

Also their purchase of timed exclusive PUBG is blowing up in their face right now as Fortnite on PS4 literally had triple the players of PUBG on XBO. Even on XBO, Fortnite is more popular.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-03-08 at 06:28 AM.

bah misread*

but on topic: Nintendo seems to have learned a valuable lesson that it is about games and not about what your machine can do differently.

I mean Nintendo has pretty much been a laughing stock ever since the playstation came out.
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2018-03-08 at 06:35 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    They're losing the shooter crowd as well. Pretty much every multiplat sells better on PS4 these days, even in the US where the XBO is still actual competition.

The only major multiplat that does better on Xbox anymore is Madden. That has a lot to do with MS being official sponsors of the NFL, probably a lot of just random football fans who own an Xbox and only buy the new madden each year.

Also their purchase of timed exclusive PUBG is blowing up in their face right now as Fortnite on PS4 literally had triple the players of PUBG on XBO. Even on XBO, Fortnite is more popular.
    Yeah they should have madea fifa deal too. Would have had a much bigger Europe market share that way. Better than spending 1b on controller r&d and however much kinect was.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    bah misread*

but on topic: Nintendo seems to have learned a valuable lesson that it is about games and not about what your machine can do differently.

I mean Nintendo has pretty much been a laughing stock ever since the playstation came out.
    Be nice, Nintendo has an enormous pile of money from the Wii and DS.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Since PS came out Nintendo has released...

GBA which sold 80+ mil
    DS which sold 150+ mil
    Wii which sold 100+ mil
    3DS which sold 70+ mil and counting still

If that's a joke, I would love to be a "joke" since it apparently means filthy rich.