Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Walt Disney Mars Colony Site.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    No, Mars is utter neutral and not under US jurisdiction.
    You're too hung up on the human rights issue you came up with out of thin air to see what I'm really asking, IMHO. I'm not asking if Mars is under U.S. jurisdiction, I'm asking if Musk's team arrives first are they beholden to the U.S. (if it's not the U.S.) for naming rights.

and for your "we paid for the town": unless it is part of the payment to reserve the right to name the town, it is not a valid argument IMHO
    I can't even begin to start pointing out everything that is wrong with that statement. Someone else want to give it a try? We could just forget it and get back to having John Williams perform the landing music live.

Marsonia or Aresopolis.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    McEarth /10
    Lol. Corporate sponsorship's play on naming rights will be VERY interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

I hate to say it, and it's already taken as a company, but Mars One would be pretty cool. Clean, neat, tidy, and gets the message across at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Elonia actually doesn't sound all that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Name it "Venus" just to confuse everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    New Washington DC

obviously
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    You're too hung up on the human rights issue you came up with out of thin air to see what I'm really asking, IMHO. I'm not asking if Mars is under U.S. jurisdiction, I'm asking if Musk's team arrives first are they beholden to the U.S. (if it's not the U.S.) for naming rights.

I can't even begin to start pointing out everything that is wrong with that statement. Someone else want to give it a try? We could just forget it and get back to having John Williams perform the landing music live.
    sorry for missing on your argumentation.
    my stance: if you are millions of kilometers away from earth, USA is no longer able to enforce anything and naming rights by "eartly" conventions not even an issue anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    New New York

10+ Year Old Account
    McMars™

/10 chars

10+ Year Old Account
    my stance: if you are millions of kilometers away from earth, USA is no longer able to enforce anything and naming rights by "earthly" conventions not even an issue anymore.
    But, do you have a flag?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    WoW was the first MMO.

And invented the fantasy genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Not many people know that Tolkien was born just outside Goldshire, and EverQuest was originally a bugged quest line from Mankirk's wife that required you to go in endless loops up and down the Barrens.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    my stance: if you are millions of kilometers away from earth, USA is no longer able to enforce anything and naming rights by "eartly" conventions not even an issue anymore.
    Ok, so yeah - THAT is a really interesting point. And if I may be so bold as to extrapolate, how in the world is ANY rule from Earth going to be imposed on Mars. It will almost literally be the New Frontier.

My thought re the name specifically, is that if Musk gets there first, and the U.S. helped him, and assuming that naming rights are up for grabs, will the U.S. assistance supersede Musk's arrival, and therefore give the U.S. naming rights. Assuming they follow the "rules" of course.

Also, I would imagine that as with most names, there will be an "official" one and then another that the people who live there use.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrkon View Post
    But, do you have a flag?
    ask the new martians

perhaps we would need a bit more info. but isnt the idea of "colony/capital on Mars" a permanent solution and those arriving on Hellas Planitia or wherever the landing site will be located will live there for the rest of their life ?
    as permanet inhabitants on Mars it should be their decision then to name the city, not outsiders or governments back on earth.

Red Coke, brought to you by Coca-Cola Classic!

10+ Year Old Account
    ask the new martians

perhaps we would need a bit more info. but isnt the idea of "colony/capital on Mars" a permanent solution and those arriving on Hellas Planitia or wherever the landing site will be located will live there for the rest of their life ?
    as permanet inhabitants on Mars it should be their decision then to name the city, not outsiders or governments back on earth.
    I agree for the most part unless colonists are representing an already established group.

They still will need a flag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    WoW was the first MMO.

And invented the fantasy genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Not many people know that Tolkien was born just outside Goldshire, and EverQuest was originally a bugged quest line from Mankirk's wife that required you to go in endless loops up and down the Barrens.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    ask the new martians

Two things:

I think the first colony might not turn out to be the first true city. I could absolutely be wrong. But if I'm right, then the first city could be named by the permanent inhabitants, while the first colony, will probably come from the group that sent the first people.

Permanent inhabitants are an interesting item. At some point they will be self governing, and may even revolt if rules are forced on them by Earth-bound governments.

Have you read the Red/Green/Blue Mars?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrkon View Post
    They still will need a flag.
    We really do.

not if they want those sweet sweet resupply ships to be sent on time. Mars colonist's would have to reach self sustainability before they get to start making any demands
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Barsoom (after Edgar Rice Boroughs' Barsoom Series) or Elonia (after Elon Musk) .
    I agree with Barsoom.