Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Climate deaths drop despite population growth

Taken from Bjorn Lomborg's twitter:

Ever fewer people die from climate-related catastrophes
    As population has quadrupled, deaths have dropped 20-fold
    Death risk from climate down 99% from 1920s

It would seem that despite climate change alarm-ism, humans are doing pretty well. Not only have we proven that we can adapt, we have shown we can develop and engineer the technology to deal with climate change. Further, the costs involved with climate related GDP losses has also declined:

Hopefully this will finally put to bed the silly notion that climate change will destroy the planet and we can focus on more pressing and immediate issues.

So climate change is real, humans are doing it and it's a bad thing. But that's okay because we can adapt so let's keep doing it anyway?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Hopefully this will finally put to bed the silly notion that climate change will destroy the planet and we can focus on more pressing and immediate issues.
    No man, you're talking about flood, wildfire, storms, extreme weather.
    Beside, technologies, first response and medical care have vastly improved since 1920.

It doesn't change the climate change is a real concern for the future of the planet. You're really going to stand here, saying that 97% of expert in fields, PhDs, Engineers, and every country on earth but one are wrong and "the donald" is right with his "ivy league education".

Yeah, because back in the 1920s societal infrastructure was built to be as disaster-resilient as they were today.

People at that point also rubbed their magic crystal balls in stead of google so they could see how people handled disasters in the future.

But really, it takes stubbornly disingenuous alt-righters like Torto to spin "humanity has increasingly adapted to climate change due to ongoing liberal efforts to educate and push for necessary social infrastructure" into "climate change is a liberal fearmongering conspiracy to instill paranoia of planet destruction to control the populace.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    screw this planet, it's been trying to kill us since forever. I vote for going to space, colonizing a new planet, and putting what we learned here to use. Everyone has that first character they try everything on, irrevocably fuck up, and keep as a monument to how colossally bad one's ideas can be.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    science is a liar sometimes

While this does indicate we've been able to adapt to climate changes economically and technologically, it doesn't mean the ecosystem is able to adapt as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    No man, you're talking about flood, wildfire, storms, extreme weather.
    Beside, technologies, first response and medical care have vastly improved since 1920.

It doesn't change the climate change is a real concern for the future of the planet. You're really going to stand here, saying that 97% of expert in fields, PhDs, Engineers, and every country on earth but one are wrong and "the donald" is right with his "ivy league education".
    Never said climate change is not real, there is plenty of evidence of that. My contention has always been about the cause and the alarmists ridiculous claims about the possible consequences.

But, this is a good news story. It seems we as a species will survive after all.

There seem to be some confounding factors here, but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out what they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Never said climate change is not real, there is plenty of evidence of that. My contention has always been about the cause and the alarmists ridiculous claims about the possible consequences.

But, this is a good news story. It seems we as a species will survive after all.
    Ah, salad bar science. You pick and choose which parts you like and ignore the rest!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    screw this planet, it's been trying to kill us since forever. I vote for going to space, colonizing a new planet, and putting what we learned here to use. Everyone has that first character they try everything on, irrevocably fuck up, and keep as a monument to how colossally bad one's ideas can be.
    We don't know if any of that is possible but if you want to experiment and gamble that's fine.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

A chart that can't even spell "death" properly seems like a credible source...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    Everyone has that first character they try everything on, irrevocably fuck up, and keep as a monument to how colossally bad one's ideas can be.
    we should definitely nuke Gandhi before we restart. i do it everytime

It has nothing to do with us as a species and what this will globally do to the other animals and plants that keep our planet functional.

Did you even finish third grade biology?
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    So climate change is real, humans are doing it and it's a bad thing. But that's okay because we can adapt so let's keep doing it anyway?
    That's where the goalposts are now, I guess.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mac View Post
    we should definitely nuke Gandhi before we restart. i do it everytime
    Have you not seen your Romero?! Nuking the dead makes nuclear zombies that never frickin' die, even when decapitated and dismembered, or even left in a vat of acid! Even if you put 'em to the torch the ashes infect more people, and corpses!
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    There seem to be some confounding factors here, but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out what they are.
    Confounding factors? Yeah you will need to spell that out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    It has nothing to do with us as a species and what this will globally do to the other animals and plants that keep our planet functional.

Animals and plants become extinct all the time, and not always because of climate change or because of humans.

Confounding factors? Yeah you will need to spell that out.
    People already have, and you ignored it. So why should I waste my time spelling it out to you? It's literally already in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    People already have, and you ignored it. So why should I waste my time spelling it out to you? It's literally already in this thread.
    Confounding means to confuse. I think you meant a different word. Did you perhaps meant conflicting?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post

Do you think life will flourish more in

a) A tropical climate
    or
    b) The temperate climate we have now

Just fyi plants and as an extention life in general LOVES high co2 levels.
    If you go back to the jurrasic period (no permanent ice on either poles or at sea level, anywhere on the planet).
    You had a much hoter climate, many times more co2 in the atmosphere. And suprise suprise life flourished in this period.

Short term/ a select number of species; yes it is bad.
    Long term/ the overall; a positive, not a negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    A chart that can't even spell "death" properly seems like a credible source...
    I assume you know who Bjorn Lomborg is....